• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    my dad and i purchased a used john deere 410 backhoe. it is a decent machine but needs the hydraulics worked on. we have some one that will let us use their trailer to move it but i need a winch that is 15,000lb +. anyone have a lead on where to rent one around new castle or greenfield? already checked hudson rentals and they dont rent winches.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Well, there is this house on S. Post Rd....when you knock on the door, ask if Susan is around.....There will be several wenches to rent....

Oh crap, sorry I misread the title.....:laugh:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    my dad and i purchased a used john deere 410 backhoe. it is a decent machine but needs the hydraulics worked on. we have some one that will let us use their trailer to move it but i need a winch that is 15,000lb +. anyone have a lead on where to rent one around new castle or greenfield? already checked hudson rentals and they dont rent winches.

Uh. You know that's a pretty big winch, right.
    Since 15,000 is across a level, paved, road.
    And 15,000 would be if the line were entirely played out. As more line is on the spool, the rating is less.
    You might have to use a block.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Winches - Electric Winch Guide - Your Guide to all Electric Winches

[h=3]Winch Capacity, Part 1:[/h]Hopefully by now, off road and 4x4 enthusiasts have all but eliminated the rookie misconception that the necessary winch capacity is directly proportional to a vehicle’s weight. But in case there is still any confusion regarding this matter, let’s put it bluntly.
    Plain and simple, your winch capacity should be 1.5 times your gross vehicle weight. In other words, take your vehicle’s weight, multiply it by 1.5, and that resulting number should be your minimum winch capacity.
    For instance, a vehicle that weighs 5,000 lbs would require a winch with a minimum capacity of 7,500 lbs.
    [h=3]Winch Capacity, Part 2:[/h]When shopping for an electric winch, it’s easy to get confused by all the ratings, specs, and other technical information; in particular, winch capacity.
    Fact is, even if an electric winch is rated 10,000 lbs, it won’t always pull at 10,000 lbs. The way the ratings systems works is that each winch is given a designated capacity based upon its pulling strength with one layer of winch cable.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Just my two cents but the problem with a wrecker is height. By the time you put it on and get the boom secured you may be over height.

I assume from the post that "it is a decent machine" that it runs? Why is it not drivable? If it a problem with the back boom just winch the boom to the cab and drive it up?

Need more info.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, the reason winch capacity for off-roading are necessarily high is because they would be pulling out of place that the vehicle has fallen or is unable to power out etc. IE, if the vehicle can't do it, it's gonna take a big winch.

For pulling a backhoe on a trailer you probably don't need near that capacity. If you want to push it I would say half the gross weight may work on flat terrain. 70% of gross weight would be more conservative.

I can't recall if my dad has a winch that big or not. IIRC his is around that size but it's mounted on a piece of equipment and hydraulic powered so you would need a way to hook it up to hydraulics.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    Just my two cents but the problem with a wrecker is height. By the time you put it on and get the boom secured you may be over height.

I assume from the post that "it is a decent machine" that it runs? Why is it not drivable? If it a problem with the back boom just winch the boom to the cab and drive it up?

Need more info.

this backhoe is powered by hydraulics. hydaulics run the boom, bucket, brakes, and transmission. it runs fine but was owned by an older gentleman that had dementia and took some stuff apart before he passed. i need to get it back to my dads shop to fix it.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    You can pull it up on the trailer with another vehicle. Pull right side of vehicle to left front of backhoe, drive alongside trailer. Or snatch block on front of trailer, cable from backhoe to snatch block to another vehicle driven away from trailer. No winch needed.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You can pull it up on the trailer with another vehicle. Pull right side of vehicle to left front of backhoe, drive alongside trailer. Or snatch block on front of trailer, cable from backhoe to snatch block to another vehicle driven away from trailer. No winch needed.

This^^^^^^^^^

Try to find someone with a diesel Chevy 2500 NON dually.... should handle it just fine.

Top Bottom