• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    First watch all the YouTubes. Buy a couple reloading manuals and read them cover to cover. And just do it. Start with easy cartridges like .45 or even 9mm. I would suggest a single stage press to start
    I dont know of any class where they're teaching reloading.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    First watch all the YouTubes. Buy a couple reloading manuals and read them cover to cover. And just do it. Start with easy cartridges like .45 or even 9mm. I would suggest a single stage press to start
    I dont know of any class where they're teaching reloading.
    Solid advice. You get into rifles and you've got an entirely different world of case prep, trimming, annealing, etc.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My local conservation club has a class occasionally, I think once a year. If I remember it's on a Thursday and Friday evening, but it's a ways from you. The club is fall Creek valley conservation club.
    Yep, I know 20 years ago they had them.

Edit, Off the website.
    Our NRA instructors offer NRA Basic Firearms classes in Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Pistol, Muzzleloading Shotgun, Reloading in Metallic and Shotshell, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, and Home Firearms Safety.

Three of our instructors hold the NRA Training Councilor rating and they can offer the classes on becoming a Certified NRA instructor in all the NRA disciplines. They also hold the rating of Chief Range Safety Officer and can teach classes for becoming a NRA Range Safety Officer.

Tim Rayn conducts the IDNR Hunters Safety Education class in the spring and the fall. For information please contact Tim Rayn (765)620-6289

Tims a Hoot.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    IIRC, Trapper Jim is always trying to teach somebody something. I believe he has said he will teach reloading?

If I was closer, I'd be up draining Jim's brain of whatever he would teach. Jim can be abrasive and narrow minded on this forum, but there is no denying his experience and knowledge. I'm not sure I ever caught up to him on the score sheet, back when I pursued USPSA.

Jim's north of Indy and might be a jog from Jay county, but it would be worth the trip if he'd agree to train you.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Where around Jay county can you go to learn to reload? Does anyone know?

I taught myself over 20 years ago by buying a Lee single stage press starter kit, reading the manual through, and getting at it. As mentioned, if you can follow a basic recipe and have some attention to detail, it's not a real difficult process to learn to do well enough to churn out bulk ammo. If you want to get into fine tuning loads for ultra precision or the like, it'll take a little more learning curve but it's not difficult to learn.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    IIRC, Trapper Jim is always trying to teach somebody something. I believe he has said he will teach reloading?

If I was closer, I'd be up draining Jim's brain of whatever he would teach. Jim can be abrasive and narrow minded on this forum, but there is no denying his experience and knowledge. I'm not sure I ever caught up to him on the score sheet, back when I pursued USPSA.

Jim's north of Indy and might be a jog from Jay county, but it would be worth the trip if he'd agree to train you.
    Fair Assessment.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Where around Jay county can you go to learn to reload? Does anyone know?
    Not sure
    Where around Jay county can you go to learn to reload? Does anyone know

Your Budget will determine your pace of Handloading Instruction. Feel free to PM for consultation on Learning to Handload and Not make expensive mistakes.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I started with this book (well, a previous version), to get the basics, then asked a lot of specific questions on forums and of friends with experience when I ran into things I didn't understand. It's really not that hard once you figure out the process. Go slow, do each step in batches, give it your full attention, and don't cut corners.

Amazon product ASIN 1951115279

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    Self taught 11 years ago. Read the Lyman manual front to back twice in 2012. Started with a single stage press. Thought i could save money and have a steady flow of ammo during obamas reign of idiocy - i think i just shot twice as much as i used too. I then bought several other manuals and upgraded to a progressive. Youtube is also a valuable source. Practice and patience are key. I have stockpiled lots of components but only reload when it makes sense financially. I enjoy the recipe matching and speed / accuracy aspect of reloading. It takes time but i enjoy it overall but sometimes i just want to buy a case and burn through a good range session. I do not rely on reloading but it is a skill set i am glad i acquured.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    YouTube and Friends is how I got started. Now Lee and Lyman have QR codes in their products that lead to different sites and videos with load and measurement data.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I started with this book (well, a previous version), to get the basics, then asked a lot of specific questions on forums and of friends with experience when I ran into things I didn't understand. It's really not that hard once you figure out the process. Go slow, do each step in batches, give it your full attention, and don't cut corners.

Amazon product ASIN 1951115279
    I was going to suggest that book as well. I'm self-taught and it was really pretty easy.

Top Bottom