• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rwhitmore8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    The United States of America
    I live on the westside of Indianapolis. I'm looking for some good public areas to hunt deer and coyote. I'm not really sure what's decently close, or worth the trip anyways.

I really appreciate the responses.

Last edited:

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    Morgan Monroe, Lieber Forest, there are tons of places. Get a pair of good boots and start scouting.

Public hunting is hard , if you want to b successful you have to go where every one else isnt

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    There is also public hunting ground on the south side of Raccoon Lake which wouldn't be terribly far for you. Never deer or coyote hunted there but its my go to squirrel place.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Owen Putnam State Forest. About 8000 acres or so of public land. Its between Cloverdale and Spencer. Raccoon is decent hunting but you may as well forget it during firearms season. Archery or muzzleloader are your best bet there.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Yea I should have clarified .... I only bow hunt public. Gun season at any place public I have hunted was too busy for me to enjoy....

Clark State Forest down around Henryville is an awesome spot if you're willing to do the homework. You will have to do the homework though, and the leg work. There's some punishing terrain in that area and the wildlife takes full advantage of it. Coyotes are sparse, in my experience, but deer, turkey, and squirrels are abundant. I've taken a number of limits of squirrels out of there, most in close proximity to parking areas.

36fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Owen-Putnam, Morgan Monroe, the new Deer Creek FWA (it may be draw only)... You can also apply for the state park hunts.

DNR lists the public lands here: DNR: Where to Hunt

Top Bottom