• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Pretty much the same with us. I'm the transplant but my wife is from here. I've been here 30+ years, the kids were born and grew up here. Even though I'll always be a Tennessee Vols fan, this is home now. Most of may family from back home is gone now but my wife stilll has a bunch here...plus whatever the kids will bless us with in the future (assuming they stay close by)--there's no pull for me to go anywhere else. We'll likely be buried here.

Similar here. Both my wife were born and raised in FL, moved here in 94, and both kids born here, etc. Some of it will depend on who goes first and when. Hopefully we are living somewhere coastal and its a spread our ashes near the water, but somehow I'm guessing I'll just drop over at work, and not go peacefully while enjoying a beachfront view.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    The wife and I bought everything for our burial in 1970, been looking at our head stone ever since. Now we don't want to be there, shake and bake will do us just fine. I say let the spouse know what each other wants and wait till it happens.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Years ago my wife and I purchased our plots and made arrangements for our infant son to be moved to the head of our plots upon the first of us to go. One of the smartest decisions we ever made. We also decided as to the disposition of our remains. We both agreed we didn't want embalmed, no showings or prolonged services, no need for flowers or planters, closed inexpensive wooden casket, and that we wanted to go out of this world dressed in the same manner as we came into this world...naked.

Two months ago today my wife passed away very unexpectedly. I made sure her wishes were followed exactly as she wanted. I'll be doing the same thing.

Although lately I've given thought to cremation. My logic is that my ashes can be ground into a very fine powder. At which point I can be mixed with douche powder just so I can be run through that little pleasure pocket one more time. :thumbsup:

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Cremation, find a nice cliff over sugar creek and...

Edit: *language, the dude curses
    [video=youtube;u44D3qKKGPU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u44D3qKKGPU[/video]

Last edited:

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Not 100% sure but I think it is illegal to dispose of ash remains by scattering them...I think they have to be stored in ground or a mausoleum. That may very by state, when my F-in-L passed away in ILL I thought that's what the funeral home guy told me.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Not 100% sure but I think it is illegal to dispose of ash remains by scattering them...I think they have to be stored in ground or a mausoleum. That may very by state, when my F-in-L passed away in ILL I thought that's what the funeral home guy told me.

From Nolo.com:

Indiana law states that cremated remains may be kept by the person who is legally entitled to them or disposed of by:

• placing them in a grave, niche, or crypt
    • scattering them in a scattering area, such as a designated garden in a cemetery, or
    • scattering them on the property of a consenting owner, on uninhabited public land, or on a waterway
    A form documenting the disposition of ashes must be filed with the county recorder within ten days of placement or scattering. (Indiana Code 23-14-31-44.) However, no one follows up on this requirement to be sure recording takes place or that the ashes remain where the form says they are.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I wouldn't trust a funeral home guy as far as I could scatter his ashes. Of course the guy selling urns is going to tell you that. :twocents:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I had a cousin that worked at a cemetery, I seem to remember him talking about a type of trust where the funds earn interest to help offset inflation. Been a while back, not sure.

What happens if the place that you paid in advance goes bankrupt, etc?

According to a cousin who retired as an undertaker, Indiana has some of the best laws in the US for protection of the buyer, and the money is put in a hands-off fund such that if the funeral home goes out of business for any reason, the money is held by the state and available to be applied to the cost with another provider when the time comes. Of course, that doesn't account for the possibility that you may not get as good a deal with the actual provider in the event that this happens, but the money shouldn't evaporate. On the other hand, I have to wonder how secure that is in reality and to what extent there is a threat like a union official suddenly disappearing from the US with the entire contents of the retirement fund.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    According to a cousin who retired as an undertaker, Indiana has some of the best laws in the US for protection of the buyer, and the money is put in a hands-off fund such that if the funeral home goes out of business for any reason, the money is held by the state and available to be applied to the cost with another provider when the time comes. Of course, that doesn't account for the possibility that you may not get as good a deal with the actual provider in the event that this happens, but the money shouldn't evaporate. On the other hand, I have to wonder how secure that is in reality and to what extent there is a threat like a union official suddenly disappearing from the US with the entire contents of the retirement fund.

Yep, I have trouble committing to buying a Groupon, let alone something like this. I generally like things handed over when I pay for them. Give me a deed, let me go mow my plot, then maybe we could do something.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    My wife and I are also transplants from Ohio. I'm from NE Ohio shes from NW Ohio. We're fortunate to live about a mile from a great park that has a modest size lake, walking trails and a beach. I run there 4 times a week and we go as a family every weekend in the warm months.

We've decided to be cremated and have our ashes spread in the middle of the lake. If you want to remember us, come to the beautiful park, sit on a bench, watch the birds and think of all the fun times we had there.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom