Where do you buy air tight sealed buckets?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I need a few and not sure what's a good brand or bad one. Looking for sealed containers for bags of flours, beans, etc.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Menards has plastic 5 gallon buckets with snap on lids, I keep bags of beans and bags of rice in them. They are not like a scuba container, but I have used them for a couple years and rotate my stock and have no problems.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    You may check local bakery, doughnut shop, grocery store deli, walmart deli, etc.

Typical price at these places is about $1 (or maybe free if you frequent their business) per bucket with a lid.

I had some icing buckets that had a rancid oil smell (strong), kept birdseed in them for a couple of months now they smell great.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    A lot of food establishments get products in 2, 3, 5, gal. buckets or pales. Air and water tight n resealable. Food grade. Can be gotten for free or little to nothing. You just have to cultivate a relationship with a food store manager or employee. I store my ammo in 2 1/2 gal. fruit pales. What part of the state are you in?

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Saw these at Ace. Looks like the same company, only a buck cheaper: https://www.acehardware.com/departm...d-supplies/paint-pails/1018662?qtyRequested=1

Then again, they are selling the spinny lids for a dollar more :): : https://www.acehardware.com/departm...inting-tools-and-supplies/paint-pails/1837772

Would you guys put your stuff, like dry ice or beans, directly in this with some O2 absorbers or into a mylar bag and THEN into these?

And this is the type of "gamma lid" mentioned above? https://www.menards.com/main/grocer...seal-reg-lid/4122p/p-1527143413204-c-7113.htm

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    So, this is interesting.

Drove to Menards after my post. Saw buckets. Next to then were Menards-branded, green buckets with logo. Same company made them. Same info on bottom of what is was made of. $3 cheaper...but did not say "food safe". The mfg product id was idential except for last two numbers.

Does the color and printing impacy its ability to be food safe?

I'd rather have five buckets than three if it is all the same.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Does the color and printing impacy its ability to be food safe?

I'd rather have five buckets than three if it is all the same.
    If both buckets are High Density Polyethylene (HDPE), go for the cheapest.
    The make cutting boards out of the stuff.

Last edited:

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I need a few and not sure what's a good brand or bad one. Looking for sealed containers for bags of flours, beans, etc.
    IF you're going to seal your items in mylar bags or store them sealed in their own bags, you might consider going up in container size to save some $$.
    Check out facebook market place for used/refurbished food grade barrels or drums.
    30 & 55 gallon sizes are pretty common and sell for reasonable prices.

Top Bottom