• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twr11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2016
    McCordsvilles
    I carry everywhere I go. From the time i get dressed in the morning until I get home in the evenings. I carry at work, home, and even to the kids soccer games. When i am not carrying, i feel if i am forgetting something. It is a part of me now.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I didn't any "security" at all. I was going and out of the tunnel though, so YMMV.

Yep no real security to speak of. My wife's camera bag got looked into and then only the pockets she would have wanted to show them, but nothing but a minimal bag check, no wands, metal detectors (though they are all out there setup for NFL, but not running for this non NFL event), etc. Wasn't sure if it would be different this year in the wake of recent events, but same as always. Loudspeaker saying no weapons but nothing to actually prevent anything.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Yep no real security to speak of. My wife's camera bag got looked into and then only the pockets she would have wanted to show them, but nothing but a minimal bag check, no wands, metal detectors (though they are all out there setup for NFL, but not running for this non NFL event), etc. Wasn't sure if it would be different this year in the wake of recent events, but same as always. Loudspeaker saying no weapons but nothing to actually prevent anything.

Ah yes, the very definition of security theater.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Ah yes, the very definition of security theater.

Exactly. I remember a few years ago at the ISSMA state marching band finals my wife went in as a spectator and she and some other parents had to break the small, maybe 1/8 inch, sticks off of their flags that they were carrying because they could be used as a weapon. Meanwhile, I'm done on the field with the band and a compact 1911. What they have there doesn't even qualify as security theater. More like security preschool Christmas play.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Exactly. I remember a few years ago at the ISSMA state marching band finals my wife went in as a spectator and she and some other parents had to break the small, maybe 1/8 inch, sticks off of their flags that they were carrying because they could be used as a weapon. Meanwhile, I'm done on the field with the band and a compact 1911. What they have there doesn't even qualify as security theater. More like security preschool Christmas play.

Yep, it is a complete joke, but that's ok. I'd rather have it be a complete joke that I can disregard than one that only keeps me from carrying (as a legal person to do so) but not really do anything for a criminal who doesn't care. I walked in and looked at my wife and asked her if she felt better after having volunteered to open the top of her bag that the person didn't even ask to see. She didn't answer.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Yep, it is a complete joke, but that's ok. I'd rather have it be a complete joke that I can disregard than one that only keeps me from carrying (as a legal person to do so) but not really do anything for a criminal who doesn't care. I walked in and looked at my wife and asked her if she felt better after having volunteered to open the top of her bag that the person didn't even ask to see. She didn't answer.

Is the band thing an actual school event? Would it being a band thing make it be considered an official school event, and make carrying illegal?

Hmmm?

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Is the band thing an actual school event? Would it being a band thing make it be considered an official school event, and make carrying illegal?

Hmmm?

It's a Bands of America event, which is a separate entity from any of the schools, though they do list themselves as the following: Music for All is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit educational organization.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It's a Bands of America event, which is a separate entity from any of the schools, though they do list themselves as the following: Music for All is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit educational organization.

No idea if they would fall under the definition of a school in the IN code. But if they did, and they leased the stadium for the event, then yes it would be considered school property.

Being a "school function" does not make carrying there illegal. It would only be illegal if it was held on school property.

Unfortunately property rented by a school does make it school property.

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    I was going to post, "everywhere" again...but then I got to thinking...A more interesting (and maybe helpful) question might be, where DIDN'T you carry today..

But, it only changed my answer to "nowhere". :D

But, in all seriousness I usually carry daily, and really never go to restricted/unlawful areas..

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No idea if they would fall under the definition of a school in the IN code. But if they did, and they leased the stadium for the event, then yes it would be considered school property.

Unfortunately property rented by a school does make it school property.

Unless BOA is in itself a school, then it should not be, as it is a BOA sponsored event, not one specifically put on by one of the schools, themselves. In any case, their security is a complete joke and I'm not willing to defer to it, on the walk in, at the event or on the walk out.

Now, an event actually on school grounds, that is a different thing for me. But downtown at Lucas Oil/surrounding area... yeah, that's not happening.

Top Bottom