Where did the length requirements for SBRs/SBSs come from?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    They seem like such arbitrary numbers (16" & 18"). Is there anything significant about them? Lastly, could we ever see the ATF lower the minimum number? Say 12" & 14"?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They seem like such arbitrary numbers (16" & 18").

You want the history of the NFA? I love playing history teacher, but let me get you a link.

Know this for now. The NFA did not pop up out of the ground. It was model legislation passed in the states first (born in a faculty lounge, part of the omnibus Uniform Firearms Act--yes, that very one that Indiana adopted a piece of, the license to carry a handgun) and then brought to Congress.

Lastly, could we ever see the ATF lower the minimum number? Say 12" & 14"?

You understand that this would take an act of Congress, yes? Congress, not ATF.

18" for rifles became 16" for rifles in the 1950s thanks to CIA. Sam Cummings had all those guns in warehouses in Europe he wanted to bring in.

This moment in gun nut history, meet the man that modified the NFA in the 1950s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Cummings

Here is Sam Cummings obit: http://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/05/world/samuel-cummings-71-trader-in-weapons-on-a-grand-scale.html

Last edited:

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    You want the history of the NFA? I love playing history teacher, but let me get you a link.

Know this for now. The NFA did not pop up out of the ground. It was model legislation passed in the states first and then brought to Congress.

You understand that this would take an act of Congress, yes? Congress, not ATF.

18" for rifles became 16" for rifles in the 1950s that to CIA. Sam Cummings had all those guns in warehouses in Europe he wanted to bring in.

No, I did not know that. When it comes to political things, I am far less knowledgable about stuff than I should be. Hearing that this is a Congress thing, I am kind of surprised that this hasn't been an issue in the past. Are there just not enough people voicing their opinions about lowering the minimum?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Are there just not enough people voicing their opinions about lowering the minimum?

Understand that what follows is reality, not the way I want it to be. I always get in trouble speaking truth to INGO because people think I am voicing an opinion and not an objective reality.

The negative image of "sawed-off" long guns is extremely difficult to overcome. This is not the case over the world. E.g., ask our French members about "barrel limits" and they will only scratch their heads as they view a gun as a gun, no matter the barrel length.

Here in the states, "sawed-off" has only negative connotations via comic books, movies, media, etc. This is what we are up against (ignorance really).

NFA reform is coming. Remember I have been a lonely voice for reform for the past 25+ years and as recently as the Pittsburg NRA Annual Meeting (2011) I was told my ideas on suppressor reform were pie in the sky. And now look! NRA is pushing suppressor reform as to hunting as prep fire for moving suppressors to Title I, just as I have been yelling around since 1986.:D

NFA reform is coming. But it will not be delivered on a unicorn. It is a Long March. Kicking the back of the seat and screaming "daddy, fix the car faster!" will not help. Get involved, get in the fight, that means money and time.

However, good things are always worth fighting for.:D

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    Kirk, I love you. In a heterosexual, you-put-things-just-oh-so-eloquent kinda way. I don't always agree with your opinion, but you're attention to fact is refreshing. :bowdown:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    You're not that lonley Lirk and also not the only one who has been at this for that many years. I just wasn't here on ONGO that far back. I have written many letters on this subjecy over the years. LETTERS as there was a time these were the best way to lobby on your own. Email took over after 9/11 primarily due to security. Hard to dust an email with Anthrax I suppose but it just feels wrong for me to not write a letter. Oh well... back on subject please. :)

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I'll put this question to rest. Here is where all ATF requirements come from:

h9991263_006_pi.jpg

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

This moment in gun nut history, meet the man that modified the NFA in the 1950s: Samuel Cummings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Haven't finished reading all of it yet, but this part struck me as needing immediate exclamation:
    Cummings was born in Philadelphia[SUP][3][/SUP] and became interested in weapons after acquiring a Maxim Gun from a disused American Legion hall at the age of five.
    Amazingly he somehow avoided spree-shooting his kindergarten class.

Top Bottom