• ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Thanks a lot, government! :(
    I don't like this at all, but I buy most of our pork and beef from local farmers. I will occasionally buy a steak in the grocery store. I don't care at all what other people want to eat, I just want to have the info available so I can choose wisely. When possible, I want local, gmo-free, and/or organic. We have friends who make fun of that, which I don't understand, I don't make fun of what they choose to eat and consider healthy.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Not surprising. I think stores are also going to have their signage from MEAT to "MEAT".

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    All the more reason to buy direct from a farmer or local butcher. We raise our own beef and buy pork from a local farmer, have it all custom butchered. Only meat we buy in the store is chicken and fish, If my wife would let me I'd have meat chickens too.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You know that your country has morphed from a free republic to a 'free'* 'republic'* when telling the truth is made illegal.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    What would amuse me is if enough customers demanded to know, that it would make it easier and cheaper for them just to label them. Apathy and laziness will prevail, as usual.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Wasn't it just a few months ago that they made it legal to kill chickens here, freeze them, ship them to China for cutting and packaging, refreeze them, ship them back for sale in America? I'll bet the idiots in the FDA don't think that will add several additional layers of danger to the food. And it was what, 2 years ago where Congress had a last minute vote right before recess to allow GMO food to be sold without printing it on the label or any other disclosure?

Perfect plan, take over health care, take over food so that it makes you sick, forcing people to rely on public healhcare. Since you are now dependent, if you are one of those Constitution loving Patriot agitators, they just pull the plug at the hospital. Who is running this country?

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I'm thinking that if you are a producer of domestic meat products, you would be wise to advertise it on your label. People who don't care about such things will continue to not care. People who care will be more likely to buy that product.

For myself I'm looking for a reliable provider for freezer beef. I too would have chickens if my wife could refrain from giving them all names and calling them family... Not likely to happen though.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm thinking that if you are a producer of domestic meat products, you would be wise to advertise it on your label. People who don't care about such things will continue to not care. People who care will be more likely to buy that product.

For myself I'm looking for a reliable provider for freezer beef. I too would have chickens if my wife could refrain from giving them all names and calling them family... Not likely to happen though.

You have my sympathy. My alpacas have become my children, which doesn't present much of a problem given that they are typically not considered a slaughter animal (although it is done). On the other hand, the projected chicken, cattle, and hogs, if named, will be named things like 'Sunday Dinner', Hamburger, Sausage, Bacon, and so forth. Not having a wife or children helps.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner

The name thing is a big problem, especially for children and the wife. I always let them name the cows because they are usually long term (10-20 yrs) and really take on a pet like relationship and personalities. The offspring we usually raise for freezers and are around for 16-18 months, they always are numbered and never ever named. They are born late winter and are with their moms all summer and weaned in the fall, by that time they are 500-600 lbs and go on full feed only fed by me.

If you are serious and want to talk thats fine, I give priority to previous customers and only have beef available in early fall but often have 1/4, 1/2 and wholes available.
    I take a freezer or two and get all my pork done at the Brook locker plant in Brook Indiana. They do a fine job cutting and have some of the best bacon, ham and sausage I've ever had from a butcher. Prices are reasonable and I personally trust them to give me back what I brought in, I would bet they have a list of farmers looking for customers and can set you up.

Top Bottom