Where can I find a decent Armorers kit. . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    That doesn't cost the life of my first born child? I was looking at brownells buuuuuuut. . .300 dollars for a 1911 basic armorers kit! WTF!!! Really?!!!! I was a computer technician and my kits never cost anything near that. I spent ~150 on a kit that would give me the tools to work on just about anything. 300 is rediculous. I could buy a new gun for that much. Do you guys/gals have any recommendations for a decent, but much less expensive, kit?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I bought the largest gun smith screwdriver kit I could find and use if for guns only. This makes regular screwdrivers that are not warn out and don't mar screws.

If you expect to use the tools for years or decades: buy once, cry once.

Buying junk tools is just too expensive. Because it makes the cost of the real tool the price it was PLUS the price of the junk tool.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I have been schooled. I would like to take a 1911 armorers course in September and there's no way in hell I could justify buying a 300 dollar tool kit to my wife, what tools do you recommend to begin with? In other words, what can I get by with?

Thanks,

Zombie-

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Magnatip kit. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41571/Product/MAGNA-TIP-reg-SETS

the one thats almost 50 bucks, either the regular handle or for my little hands i like the LE handle.

A brownells gunsmithing hammer

A set of steel and a set of brass punches

a plastic bench block

add the grip bushing tip to the magnatip set.

that should be all you need for "armorers" class besides maybe a good nicholson file.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    If you think $300 is expensive, then any sort of prescision metal working trade is not for you. A single measuring tool can cost $300+.

If you plan on earning a living with tools, buy the best you can get.

Top Bottom