• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kalashalite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    SE Indiana
    Anyone have any tried and true Gar fishing holes? Or tips on going after them?

I know most people would never try to get a gar on their line on purpose, but I am fascinated with them.

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    Cypress lake by I65/Hwy 11 used to have alot of them I am sure it still does. Never caught one tho just saw them following my lures.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Hovey Lake in Posey County is lousy with Gar. I've never fished there for them but was startled all get out by ones jumping while I was kayaking there.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Used to catch them in the Ohio River, close to McAlpine Locks (Louisville).
    Best way we caught them was to cut a 10" length of White Twisted Nylon Rope (Not Polypropylene) & tie it to the end of your Fishing Line. Comb out the "Untied end" of the rope so it looks like hair & then cast it Topwater.
    The Gar will bite it & their teeth become hopelessly entangle in the rope.
    They Are Fighters!
    After getting them to the boat, Use a Heavy Glove (welding gloves work)-grab their Snout & cut the snout off with a Hacksaw, just at their Head.
    A Word of Caution-when you grab that snout, be advised their numerous teeth stick out Both Sides of the snout-hence the Need for Heavy Gloves.
    Since they are a Predatory Fish (eating/killing Game Fish) this is a Public Service to whatever body of water they're in!
    If you wanna re-use the rope, it'll need to Dry & then it will come out of the teeth.
    Used this technique Many years ago.
    I'm sure that If this is against any Laws/Regs, Game Wardens on this site will provide info.
    Good Luck!

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Best way we caught them was to cut a 10" length of White Twisted Nylon Rope (Not Polypropylene) & tie it to the end of your Fishing Line. Comb out the "Untied end" of the rope so it looks like hair & then cast it Topwater.
    They Are Fighters!
    After getting them to the boat, Use a Heavy Glove (welding gloves work)-grab their Snout & cut the snout off with a Hacksaw, just at their Head.
    A Word of Caution-when you grab that snout, be advised their numerous teeth stick out Both Sides of the snout-hence the Need for Heavy Gloves.
    Since they are a Predatory Fish (eating/killing Game Fish) this is a Public Service to whatever body of water they're in!
    If you wanna re-use the rope, it'll need to Dry & then it will come out of the teeth.
    Used this techniques Many years ago.
    I'm sure that If this is against any Laws/Regs, Game Wardens on this site will provide info.
    Good Luck!

It’s not snagging, it’s a lure they bite at so I don’t see where it would be a problem.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I used to work with a guy that fished for them on purpose. called them "the poor man's muskie". :ugh: he used scented cloth that would snag on their teeth when they bit.

Reactions: Leo

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    They Are Fighters!
    Used this technique Many years ago.
    Good Luck!

looks like you aren't the only one catching them that way.

Top Bottom