• ...and so much more!
  • derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I've taken friends / co-workers for their first time @ the range and I usually just put 3 rounds in the Ruger MKIII and bring the target up to about 10 feet (indoors) or 10 paces (outdoors) and let them slow fire three shots just to get used to it. Repeat that a couple times to make sure they aren't doing anything unsafe and then work from there (9mm, 38, 45).

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Safety talk on the way to the range. Go over stance, grip, sight picture and sight alignment at the range. Dry fire a couple of times and then let them fire a Ruger MkII with 5 rounds. Make sure the target is close. After several mags of .22, we move on to a S&W 4 inch K-Frame revolver in 38 cal. After that, a Kahr P9 in 9mm.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I always start a new shooter on a .22. Usually a Ruger 22/45 or a S and W 22-A. I like the target sights on these pistols. I get them in the proper stance, grip and show them how to pull the trigger. I have a card in my pocket that shows proper sight picture and sight alignment. I also start them out at 21 feet.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If I take a new shooter to the range for the first time. I'll start them out with a .22 pistol. There is virtually no recoil, and they are easy to handle. I believe they are great for teaching the basics. Once they and I feel comfortable, then move them up to a larger caliber. My :twocents:

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    For Women:
    Start with the ruger single six. .22
    then the Ruger Mark I .22
    Then a .380
    then a 9mm

For Men:
    1. Start with a Ruger Single Six .22
    2. Next go to a Superblackhawk .44 magnum.
    3. Laugh your butt off. LOLOL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I usually start off with the 10/22
    Then we go to the 45acp
    Then to the 9mm
    Then the ar, which most get freaked out and all nervous to shoot i even had one walk out of the range and call her dad to pick her up because she didn't want to shoot it, she thought it was going to hurt to much. lol her dad made her go back in and shoot it

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    On a side not on what NOT to give to a new shooter.

Large bore pistol or rifle. While it might be funny to you, they aren't laughing. They might not pick up the hobby because you want a laugh at their expense.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    On a side not on what NOT to give to a new shooter.

Large bore pistol or rifle. While it might be funny to you, they aren't laughing. They might not pick up the hobby because you want a laugh at their expense.

Probably true 95% of the time, but this summer there was a female teenage first time shooter at the range with her parents. Dad was shooting a .22 revolver, and after finally talking the girl into shooting it, she was done after one cylinder. When dad brought out the .45 Colt, she was more interested, but only for a couple of cylinders, then got bored and went back to texting. Noticing that she seemed to enjoy the .45 more than the .22, (after making sure it was ok with her parents) I ask her if she was interested in shooting something a little bigger than the .45, and opened my gun case to give her a look at my .480. Her eyes got big, and she grinned as she ask "oh can I?". After making sure she could hold that heavy Ruger up, and having her dry fire in single action a couple of times, I loaded one in the cylinder. She cocked the hammer, and did a "very good" job of controling the gun as it rolled up with the recoil, then as she lowered the gun to low ready, turned with a big :D on her face and said :wow: can I do that again ???????? I let her run a full cylinder through, and later felt kind of bad for costing her parents some money, when I overheard her begging her dad for a gun like mine.

So yup as an RO, I see it all the time, for a first timer, 95% of the time, the .22 is the first choice, but for some reason, that other 5% will fall in love with the big bore.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Good to see some common sense on this one.

I've always used the dry fire -> single shot -> two shots -> full magazine shooting sequence with new shooters. I start the sequence over as we move up in caliber or change platform.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    What handgun do you hand him for his very first experience?

Be as specific or explanatory as you feel. I'm testing a theory and satisfying a curiosity.

Thanks.

ETA: let's assume that all the other details about taking a newb to the range for the first time have already been covered. We're just focusing on the point when you hand him the firearm and say, "Have at it?" What is it.
    Firstly, props to you if you're really taking a newbie shooting for the first time.
    That's an awesome experience on BOTH sides of that fence.

Secondly, the few times I've done it, I've always started with the .22 and I "show & tell" first. (Meaning I tell what I'm doing and why as I'm showing them...then I fire first so they get an idea of the noise, etc.)

So if you took a newbie to the range, AAR?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Firstly, props to you if you're really taking a newbie shooting for the first time.
    That's an awesome experience on BOTH sides of that fence.

Secondly, the few times I've done it, I've always started with the .22 and I "show & tell" first. (Meaning I tell what I'm doing and why as I'm showing them...then I fire first so they get an idea of the noise, etc.)

So if you took a newbie to the range, AAR?

Nothing recently, but there have been a few.

I've got two friends I'm working on hard, but I doubt anything will happen before the weather warms and/or school is out for the summer.

Top Bottom