When you are only carrying your snubby...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K9stang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    Do you carry a reload of some kind? i.e. speedloader, speed srip, a couple loose rounds

I know from reading, that in most self defense situations there are not too many rounds fired. Snubbies hold 5, subcompact 9's hold 6 or 7 and 1911 hold 7 or 8, so I was curious if a reload for a snubby is a good idea?

thabombsquad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Logansport
    To me it depends on where I'm going. If I am running around my local town I usually don't. Indy or other places similiar I always pack a spare speed loader if I'm rocking a revolver or an extra mag if I'm carrying a glock.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    I'd say most do not pack extra ammo, but should. Some, and I'm one of them, if going 5 shot revolver, will actually carry 2 guns instead of a reload. There is no quicker reload than a second gun.

K9stang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    Thanks for the input. I usually pack a speed strip but wondered wh at others do. I can't really hide a speed loader, but the strips just lay flat in a pocket.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Unless you are thinking you are going to get into a run and gun gun battle ala NCIS LA I really don't see the need. It only take one well placed shot and even if you miss most bad guys will be getting out of Dodge after you fire the first round. They generally would rather run than stand and fight.
    Just my thoughts.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Unless you are thinking you are going to get into a run and gun gun battle ala NCIS LA I really don't see the need. It only take one well placed shot and even if you miss most bad guys will be getting out of Dodge after you fire the first round. They generally would rather run than stand and fight.
    Just my thoughts.

LOL. Really?

You'd bet your life and your family's life on that? I wouldn't.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Just my thoughts.

I guess you only carry a two shot derringer for protection? Not sure where you get your information, but if it works for you alrighty then. Me, I will carry all I can to get the job done.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have never carried more than what whichever gun I was carrying held.

Why is that?

Having the belief that a 1 well placed shot is going to get the job done is nonsense.

How do you know the number of shots that it well take to get the job done?

Studies have shown that sometimes it takes 5 shots. Others have shown that it took 10.

What if the bad guy was wearing body armor? You think your 6-shooter is enough?

Don't forget there's a VERY good chance that the bad guy will be shooting back at you. How many accurate shots can you get in with bullets coming at you?

Me, I'm not taking the chance. I ALWAYS have an extra magazine on me. Sometimes 2 extras.

You carry a gun just in case you need it. Why not carry spare ammo just in case you need it as well?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Extra ammo GOOD. Running empty BAD.

JMO, there is NO such thing as "I can't really hide a speedloader". Of course you can, just give it some thought.

Do this:

:ar15::shoot:

Because scumbag might be doing this:
    :biggun:

And doing this:

:stickpoke: :runaway:

is NOT a viable alternative for you.

swilk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Why is that?

Having the belief that a 1 well placed shot is going to get the job done is nonsense.

How do you know the number of shots that it well take to get the job done?

Studies have shown that sometimes it takes 5 shots. Others have shown that it took 10.

What if the bad guy was wearing body armor? You think your 6-shooter is enough?

Don't forget there's a VERY good chance that the bad guy will be shooting back at you. How many accurate shots can you get in with bullets coming at you?

Me, I'm not taking the chance. I ALWAYS have an extra magazine on me. Sometimes 2 extras.

You carry a gun just in case you need it. Why not carry spare ammo just in case you need it as well?

Given your logic there is no such thing as enough.... you cant prepare for every situation that *might come along.

Out of the infinite number of possible scenarios in the world, carrying an extra mag may or may not account for equalizing a handful of them.

We are both under supplied.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    With a pocket pistol, revolver or semi, I generally do not carry much extra ammo. If I have a jacket, I may have a speed strip or an extra magazine. I figure I am not going to be able to rambo a major crime scene, I just want to be able to get out of there. I consider situational awareness more powerfull than a pocket pistol.

If I am having to be in high crime areas, I bring a full sized handgun and extra ammo.

As I strap it on, I also pray that I will not have to use it and that if I have to engage I will be wise, fast and accurate.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Given your logic there is no such thing as enough.... you cant prepare for every situation that *might come along.

Out of the infinite number of possible scenarios in the world, carrying an extra mag may or may not account for equalizing a handful of them.

We are both under supplied.
    Given that logic, why carry at all, since the possibility of being in a 'gun necessary' scenario is so remote, anyway?

In the civilian world here, no one logically carries for "the reasons I can think of", they carry for "the reasons I can't think of", even LEO's. And that's easily proven.

Do LEO's carry extra ammo? You bet they do. And they have some advantages civilians (typically) don't: Long gun(s) in the squad, a radio to directly call for help, backup squads racing to their location to provide assistance, etc.

Since it costs you nothing extra since you most likely have extra ammo at your home, there's no viable reason not to have reloads. Heck, even speedloaders and extra mags are (relatively) inexpensive, even now with guns and ammo being at 'stupid' pricing. AND most certainly, carrying reload(s) is easier than carrying the weapon you're wearing. Easier than carrying a BUG (though, I agree with that concept, as well).

IF (god forbid) you ever have need of your gun, and IF you run empty under a stress-fire scenario (even just to cover yourself to evade or escape), would it be BETTER if backup ammo was on your person, or on your shelf at home?

The choice is yours.

swilk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Which logic is that?

Knowing that I might be under supplied for a certain situation but choosing to carry anyway?

If you think that you can somehow prepare yourself for any situation that might come along that isnt logic .... thats stupidity.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    I tend to carry too much stuff in my pockets anyway, and having an extra mag would just be that much more weight. I don't feel like I am making a mistake, though, because part of my pocket load 100% of the time is a KelTec P32, in case I need eight more rounds to back up the 17 rds of 9mm IWB.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Do you carry a reload of some kind? i.e. speedloader, speed srip, a couple loose rounds

I know from reading, that in most self defense situations there are not too many rounds fired. Snubbies hold 5, subcompact 9's hold 6 or 7 and 1911 hold 7 or 8, so I was curious if a reload for a snubby is a good idea?

Whenever I carry, I have another magazine or speed loader on me. I don't want to ever wish I had more ammo on me. And my 1911 holds 9...cocked and locked.

Top Bottom