What's your minimum mag count for a carry weapon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • how many mags qualify as "adequate"?

• Total voters
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    One in the gun and one spare in the pocket.If I need more than that to carry,I brought the wrong gun.I have a least 12-15 mags per hand gun.Magazines should be considered expendable.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Lots of agreement on this one. I'm thinking if you can't get it done with 12, it's a moot point. However, I carry a second mag, usually in the car, should I feel a need for more ammunition. If so, it's usually at hand.

With my summer .380, I always carry a second. It's in an Eddie Bauer knife pouch. They come in various sizes and are so innocuous looking people see it on my belt and never make the connection. Not to mention at $5 and up, they are inexpensive.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Although not a law enforcement officer, my attitudes have been shaped by LEO firearms training & practices. I carry two spare mags for my G27. I only have one spare mag for my G23, but I have an additional G22 mag stashed in my car. Obviously need to get some more mags for the G23.

tem375

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    I don't typically carry a spare magazine, however I you should have two magazines for a carry gun so that if at the range one malfunctions or breaks you can swap to the other while replacing the spring or whatever else inside, however that being said, I like to have at least ten magazines for all of my full size handguns before I am satisfied and stop actively looking for more.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I'll generally only carry one spare on my person, though I have another extra in each vehilce as well (I know, these don't do much good unless I'm in the car)

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I'm kinda surprised. I won't mention how many mags I own for my primary gun (1911), but it blows a lot of you guys out of the water.For carry, I have one in the gun and 2 spares on me. I don't keep loaded mags stashed anywhere with the lofty expectation that I'm actually going to be near them if I need them. They're on me ready to go.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I put "5" just because I have been carrying a snub nosed revolver lately. All though from time to time, I will carry an extra speed loader to make it "10".

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    If it is one I might use for competition I normally want at least ten mags for it. For one that is a carry gun I normally carry just one extra mag...I do however carry at least one back up gun with a reload or two as well.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    For a primary sidearm, I like about a bakers dozen. It depends, I've got duplicates of some firearms so I don't necessarily have that for each.

For daily carry out and about by myself I may drop a spare in my back pocket, with the family I always have two spares in a paddle, options aren't as plentiful as when I only have to look out for myself. With a 1911 I always have a spare, even alone. Flat and easy to slide in a pocket, no reason not to.

Given the increase in gang style attacks around the country (especially just over the border in ILL), it's asinine to think "if I need more than one mag, I shouldn't be carrying".

Let alone the need for a spare mag should you have a type 3 malfunction. Next time you go to the range, set up a type three malfunction and see how much longer it takes without a spare magazine.

I've personally never had such a malfunction in any of my carry guns, but it's the main reason I carry spare. Not because I don't think I'll need more than 18 or 20 rounds but because I don't want to be caught with my first type three and no spare mag.

Most gun schools allow 5.3-5.5 seconds for clearing a type 3 and many students struggle to break 6 seconds. Thats an eternity and a half for a gunfight.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Given the increase in gang style attacks around the country (especially just over the border in ILL), it's asinine to think "if I need more than one mag, I shouldn't be carrying".
    If not following your line of thinking is "asinine", I'll take it. If you need more ninja powers because of the gangwars you're involved in, maybe a career change is in order.

This is a discussion about choice, not more commando crap.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Maybe fischers is a paradise, up here in NW Indiana we border a city that is in the running for the highest total murders and violent attacks in the nation, not just numbers wise, but even per captia this year.

Sleepy little Munster Indiana is 12 miles from it and miles from Gary. 54 shootings and 10 murders in 48 hours last weekend in Chicago city limits alone. You think they'll stick to the city limits forever? FYI 4 man home invasion in munster a week ago... all gang bangers from ILL...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm just curious...why does one feel the need to carry 13, 30, 45 rounds of ammo? I know, I know, I've heard the arguements about 'what if' but how many have really had that happen? I used to pack 1 mag in the gun (13 rounds) and 2 mags (of 13 rounds each) as back-up. Now-a-days, I'm comfortable carrying a .38+P revolver with five (5) shots...and I sometimes carry a 5-shot speedloader as backup.

The average gun fight is 2 shots at 7 feet...in less than 1.5 seconds. ANY failure on the part of your gun, if head-to-head, will probably result in a lethal ending to it's owner/user. I would think reliability of both gun AND magazine would be a foremost concern...which is why I'm comfortable with a revolver. Besides, I'm more accurate with a revolver, meaning, I score more hits with a DAO than I do with a semi-auto...in pull, point-n-shoot games.

In self-defense (high adrenyline) mode, most people are just pointing and shooting...not aiming or 'placing their shots' in a particular place. In high stress shooting situations, most people point the gun at center-mass and squeeze the trigger...hence the need for only a vest for LEO's. Thinking that one will actually take the time to score direct hits is almost ridiculous...except for those individuals who have previously face an enemy a close range (ie, military personnel, God Bless them, who have experienced and survived face-to-face combat with their enemy) most whom will agree.

Not to blast one's personal perception or need for back-up mags, but rather to raise the question of 'why?' What is your purpose? As stated previously...if one is still able to fire their weapon by the time you need a second mag?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I only have 4 total mags for my carry gun, a Glock 19. I plan on purchasing more when I'm able. When I carry, I always carry an extra mag. Either in my pocket, or in a mag pouch. After reading some of Rhino's posts, I believe it's a good idea to have an extra one. Your carry mag can always malfunction. Better to have a backup.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have over twenty mags for my 1911s. I keep about a dozen loaded for trips to the range. Just drop them in the range bag and I am ready to go. Reload them when I get home.

I keep three for each of my three 1911s loaded with each firearms preference of Defensive ammo. The others are spares. I carry two spare eight rounders for each gun. One in the chamber, and total of three eight rounders gives me 25 rounds. Hopefully I would never need more then that in a shooting situation.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    All of the holsters that I use for CC have a pouch for an extra mag, so I carry two.

I guess at a minimum I want three mags for each of my handguns even if they aren't going to be used for carry. I'm always looking out for mags everytime I'm at a gunshow.

Top Bottom