• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I was in H & H in Fort Wayne yesterday, and they had hardly any inventory. The place looked like the final days of a going-out-of-business sale. I asked the counter guy why inventory was so low. He said gun sales are up and there are big changes ahead. He added that the changes won't be bad.

Anybody have the scoop?

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    IMO that place went downhill years ago, I've been in there a couple of times in the last couple of years and it has always looked like it was going out of business. Maybe I'm just spoiled remembering what it was like 20-30 years ago...

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Not speaking about them specifically. I think all businesses are smart right now to keep a lean inventory, and offer to special order anything at the drop of a hat. A casual observation about gun shops in general over the last 10 years is that inventory on hand does seem to be shrinking. Perhaps it is a result of better business practices or a result of computer based inventory management. Either way it makes sense to engage in a just in time strategy. Idle inventory costs big time.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Word on the street is a change of ownership which can always end up going either way. I like their used inventory, but new firearms can be had at much better prices. I'd rather they stick around simply for the indoor range. I'm not aware of another indoor range in Ft Wayne.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This is how it seems to have been to me for at least the last year. Hardly anything in stock. I remember when I could walk in there and it would take an hour to look at everything they had. Hasn't been like that for quite awhile now. I have heard so many rumors about that place in the last year, who knows what's going on. :dunno:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    It looked to me like going out of business or a transfer of ownership. The only thing they did have a supply of was Springfield 1911s...a Range Officer, a stainless Mil-Spec, a Loaded and several others. It wasn't like they just had a good sales week.

Ftwgunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Sounds like the captain is an expert on business. Have you ever stopped to consider that business may actually be good at that particular location? The owner has very deep pockets and is probably waiting out this weak economy IMO. And I to also heard he has sold to a group with even deeper pockets.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What I've noticed about H&H after the last change of ownership was that the prices got a little bit better for a little while and then they went back up. Seemed like in the old days all the old H&H guys ended up working at the gander mountain next and when I'd ask them about it they'd all say the old boss was a "you know what".

The prices are better than what they were, but still aren't great. Then again there really isn't a single outstanding gun store in Fort Wayne that has everything a guy could want to look at anyway.

Hopefully the new changes are for the better. I just got a few new parts on my glock there a week or two ago and I thought the prices were very reasonable and since the installation was free I couldn't complain one bit. Maybe they're on to something.

One thing I'm certain of is that H&H is not the gun store that it could be. There's no reason why they couldn't be leaps and bounds ahead of their competition, but instead they aren't. I don't think they're doing a good job of pushing themselves as a business.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    A change of ownership may not be a bad idea. From my experience (as well as countless others) they could stand a few policy changes. Be advised if they don't have something on their shelf and you order it (even if it's a Glock that they "sell out of in days when in inventory"), it is a "special order" and you'd better not find a better deal (after waiting 5 weeks and being told weekly "it'll be here next week"). Also, won't do transfers on anything they sell? I understand that I suppose, but why not make the $25 for a 10 minute phone call? I was told from them that no one in town offers Glocks at the MIL/LEO price...wrong there! Honestly until an ownership/management/policy change happens I'll continue to not spend a penny in there just as I have for the last few years!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    They seem knowledgeable and mostly friendly, but the only place I can pay more for a gun in FW is at Gander. Indoor range is OK but has no competition. Good selection of leathers, but pricey there too. I thought I would never buy a gun there, but they had an M70 I couldn't resist at a respectable price. I don't go there looking for good deals - that's what Tomlinson's is for.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Last time I was there about a month and a half ago they had a nice Ruger MKII 5.5" bull barrel for $349 that I was gonna buy but the guy wouldn't take $325 out the door for it. He was kinda snarly about it. I probably would have bought it for the price he had on it, but his attitude is why I didn't. This particular employee always acts like you're bothering him. So I left with no purchase, and turned down his offer of $250 for my LNIB Glock 17 Gen 4.

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    The new owner is the CEO of Steel Dynamics. Hopefully he will bring in some new inventory and bring down the prices. The range is the only reason I have gone in there lately.......

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    A change of ownership may not be a bad idea. From my experience (as well as countless others) they could stand a few policy changes. Be advised if they don't have something on their shelf and you order it (even if it's a Glock that they "sell out of in days when in inventory"), it is a "special order" and you'd better not find a better deal (after waiting 5 weeks and being told weekly "it'll be here next week"). Also, won't do transfers on anything they sell? I understand that I suppose, but why not make the $25 for a 10 minute phone call? I was told from them that no one in town offers Glocks at the MIL/LEO price...wrong there! Honestly until an ownership/management/policy change happens I'll continue to not spend a penny in there just as I have for the last few years!

Don't think I could have said it better!

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Stopped in H&H last night just to browse. I viewed all of their handguns; asked quite a few questions; and talked about lever action rifles. Tim was the salesman I spoke to during the duration of my visit. He was quite helpful, very informative and seemed to know what he was talking about throughout our multifaceted conversation.

Ultimately, I was quoted a price on a Mossberg 801 (for my son) and found the price quite reasonable compared to online prices once shipping and transfer fees are factored into the total cost & I purchased Hogue grips for my S&W Model 65. I will likely place an order for my son's Christmas present in the next week with H&H thanks to Tim's courteous service.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Stopped in again tonight to order the Mossberg 801 for my son. Again, great service.

I observed one of the guys talk to a potential customer looking for a handgun for his girlfriend. He was well versed in the different arms he had available and conveyed that quite well to the guy inquiring.

So far, my observations of the joint are positive which is quite contrary to the reviews I have read here and there.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I've been in several times to shoot over the last couple years. Prices were high on average and the salespersons blow lots of smoke at naive customers. The gun community should focus on educating the public, not taking them to the cleaners.

If this new owner can get a handle on things I might actually buy something there. I'll have to look for Tim next time I'm in the shop.

Top Bottom