Whats the stupidest thing you've heard at gun store/range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    "AK's never jam."
    "Revolvers never jam." Though the best was, "I prefer the reliability of a revolver to the passing fad of an auto."
    "The AR-15 only shoots a .22."
    "The M-16 was designed to wound."

BlkBlt6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    I went to Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka around Christmas time when the stores had a lot of shoppers. I already had decided to purchase a Kimber Raptor 45. As I stood and waited and waited (they were taking all of the men first), I finally had to get a little pushy and said “Hey wait a minute…I’m next”. The man at the counter looked a little perturbed and loudly said “What can I help you with little lady”. I told him the gun I wanted to see and he proceeded to laugh (again with a lot of men standing around) and even more loudly said “That’s a lot of gun for a little lady like you. (I weigh 92 lbs but am a 6th degree black belt). Why don’t I show you something else?” Ugh! I loudly said “I don’t have time for you.” I’ll just buy the gun! He looked stunned.

The men standing around the counter were then smiling with me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    "As a security guard, I carried a .44 Auto Mag, which is a select fire .44 magnum."
    "I own one."
    "Yeah, it's select fire."
    "It's a pistol, and it holds 7 rounds. If it actually had an auto setting you'd be shooting at the ceiling from the recoil and out of ammo in a second."
    "Well, mine was select fire..."
    "Dude, just stop."

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Walking into a gun store looking for an m1 carbine, and briefly talking to the guy behind the counter when he says “ that’s old outdated trash, you need to get with the times and get an ar15”
    As someone who owns multiple of both, that seems correct. The Carbine has low accuracy, 2/3 the power of a 5.56mm, ammo isn't common, and spare parts are difficult to source. It's a fun little gun, massively overpriced as a collectible, and doesn't really fill any other niche anymore.

Reactions: Leo
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Trying to buy a wasr at Midwest gun and and they wouldn’t sell because the state i lived in at the time (Colorado, i was home visiting) had a magazine ban

“I can shoot 380 in my makarov but it doesn’t cycle the best”
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-licensee-sell-firearm-nonlicensee-who-resident-another-state They were correct.

I've seen .380 fired in a Mak. It doesn't work well, but it can be done.

Did you mean to provide personal examples for the thread?

Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    Heard a lady ask a clerk what the effective range of a snub nose .38 special was. She was looking at one for self defense. He proceeded to tell her that the gun in the right hands could shoot out to 1000 yards

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Heard a lady ask a clerk what the effective range of a snub nose .38 special was. She was looking at one for self defense. He proceeded to tell her that the gun in the right hands could shoot out to 1000 yards
    I started to post a picture of Jerry M as proof he was right. But in the middle of it I remembered even HE had to cheat to make that shot. He set out to pop a balloon from 1,000 yards. Which he did pop. But I call it cheating because he hit the giant steel plate it was taped to and the splatter hit the balloon, not the whole bullet. Still impressive he hit a 6' steel plate from that distance but it wasnt as advertised.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm seeing a bullet drop of about 380 inches for a 158gr 357 magnum at 500 yards. Too hit anything by design at 1000 yards you would have to be one hell of an artilleryman

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As someone who owns multiple of both, that seems correct. The Carbine has low accuracy, 2/3 the power of a 5.56mm, ammo isn't common, and spare parts are difficult to source. It's a fun little gun, massively overpriced as a collectible, and doesn't really fill any other niche anymore.
    I think of them the same way. Kind of a handgun for people you don't have time to train to shoot a handgun. Still a lot of fun. Sort of like the lever actions that shoot .38 SPL.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm seeing a bullet drop of about 380 inches for a 158gr 357 magnum at 500 yards. Too hit anything by design at 1000 yards you would have to be one hell of an artilleryman
    You are completely right about the trick shot vs reality.

At Camp Perry they shoot the .45 Pistol Nationals a week before the High Power Rifle Nationals. The pistol shooters stand by the 600 yard line shooting full power hardball .45acp and targets are set 25 & 50 yards out. The bullets drop and skid to the ground at the 200 yard line and lay on top the ground. They still look good enough to reload again. From a standing shooter to impotent on the ground in 400 yards.

The 357 Mag is far faster, but like you said, it is a trick shot, no one is making hunting kills at 1000 yards with a normal pistol.

Last edited:

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-licensee-sell-firearm-nonlicensee-who-resident-another-state They were correct.

I've seen .380 fired in a Mak. It doesn't work well, but it can be done.

Did you mean to provide personal examples for the thread?
    A magazine is a not a firearm. The firearm is not banned in CO, and the federal prohibition doesn't apply to magazines or other accessories

Also, while firing .380 from a Mak "can" be done, its pretty stupid to suggest actually doing it. The Mak case is 1mm longer than .380 so it won't headspace properly, and the bullet .2mm wider so it won't engage the rifling properly.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    He could have purchased it w/o a mag, or with a 10 round mag.

While teaching Hunter Safety years ago, I had a Conservation officer tell me if you put .410 shells in a .45/.410 derringer, that made it an NFA weapon and he would arrest you.

I politely argued to the contrary and, to his credit, the next night he said he had researched it and admitted he was wrong.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    Working as a gunsmith in a little hole in the wall shop in a small town, an amazing number of people would bring in disassembled guns and ask me to reassemble them. I think one was in a paper bag, ALL the others were in either a skillet or sauce pan for some reason. "What's the problem?" I ask. EVERY ONE said "My Brother in Law took apart my gun and couldn't get it back together". Even the repeat customers with the same gun, you'd think after the first couple times he'd quit letting the BIL mess with his gun! And bonus, I can only recall one ever asking for the pan back, I got a good head start on equipping my kitchen that way!

My favorites were the Ruger MKI and II owners who could never figure out how to reassemble them. When I got my first one it took all of 3 tries and maybe 2 minutes before I had the hang of it and now I can get them back together in less than 15 seconds if I don't need to hammer the upper on. Maybe one time out of 10 the hammer strut won't be aligned and I have to do it a second time. I show them time and again how to do it and they still come back a month later!

We had one guy call us up and ask if we could tell him the serial numbers on his guns. We asked, did you buy them from us? No. Then how could we possibly know what they are? Well I thought you maybe you could tell me. If I bring them in can you tell me? Sure, bring them in. He brings in a dozen assorted guns and we read off the number on each one as he eagerly writes them down in a notebook. Just the numbers, nothing to tell which gun it came off of...

Me answering phone: ******'s Gun shop. Customer: Yeah do you guys sell guns?

A regular customer had a young couple from England visiting and he brought them over to see the stuff we could get over here. They had never seen a real gun and found it hard to believe that my L1A1 kit built on an Imbel receiver was actually made in England as "they aren't allowed to make guns in Britain"! When told the Boss' HK91 was made in Germany they also found it hard to believe as "the only guns made in Germany are cheap potmetal revolvers." We took them out to our little range behind the shop and the guy wanted to try the L1A1 and the Inglis HiPower as we had told him both were British military issue. First shot of the L1A1 he yells "BLIMEY!", was funny as hell hearing someone outside a movie say that. By the time he had finished a magazine in each one he was grinning ear to ear, probably tried to join the SAS when he got home so he could play with them some more!

Back in the day we had an industry newsletter with a "dumb customer comments" column every month. Some of the better ones:

Clerk: And the magazine holds 7 rounds of .45. Customer: How many would it hold if I loaded it with .22s?

You sold me the wrong ammo, my Husband is really upset. These .22s say long rifle and I told you they were for a pistol!

(After buying 2 boxes of shotshells that morning and coming back 2 hours later) What's the daily bag limit on Quail here? 8. Better give me 10 more boxes of shells...

Y'all got one of those little 2 shot Dillingers?

How many shells does that double bbl shotgun hold?

Shows customer a Glock. Can I carry that cocked and locked?

Where it asks if I'm addicted to drugs, does a little Coke on the weekends count?

Top Bottom