Whats the stupidest thing you've heard at gun store/range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Pretty much in line with the other postings... my brother-in-law once worked in a Wal-Mart which sold guns, he has also watched Pawn Stars, so he constantly considers himself qualified to "educate" me about guns.

His latest was concern about why auction houses don't have to follow the same rules as a Wal-Mart when selling guns. Mind you he has never actually been to an auction where they sold guns, it was just something he "knew" about. I set him straight, although I know from past experience that it's not likely that he actually learned anything.

One from the past... I used to have my collection on display in my basement. A guy came to work on our furnace and saw what I had. He asked me if I had ever killed anybody. I was too stunned to think up a smart-ass reply.

Missed opportunity, you should have told him "every single person who has seen this collection" and then winked... ;)

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Not a gun store but I was doing pool exercises at the local Y. Two women in my class were talking and one was saying, "Those AK's and AR's are so powerful that you only have to shoot someone in the arm or the leg and they will die." They went on about how no one needs a gun like that and so on.

Then they remembered that I like guns and restore them and one looks at me and asks, "Do you have any of those guns?"

I answered them, "No, they aren't powerful enough." and kept on going...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Went to a lgs ask if I could send them several AR-15 lowers to transfer to me. They said yes and they would need to know what caliber of rifle I would be making with it to mark on their ffl ledger. I said just put down other because I'm going to make some pistols. They said they could not do that and I tried to show them via the BATF site about it but they refused to accept it. So I went to another lgs which understood completely.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Where do I start?

"Do you have a 30+ mag for my Lorcian?"

"9mm Makarov and 380 are the same thing..."

Anything pertaining to "stopping power"

"This is my concealed carry...it's never been fired..."

"Glock is the 'Kia' of the gun industry..."

"Hi Point has a great warranty. That's why I buy them."

"I don't carry with one in the chamber; that's dangerous."

"I don't like any handgun that doesn't have a safety. You can shoot yourself or someone else."

I could go on....but, most of these are wrote down in a spiral bound notebook for a book idea after I retire.

I often think of these sayings/comments as "teaching moments" rather than poke fun at people. If we educate, we can reduce "goofy" statements.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "You can't get a squib round in a revolver." ---- gun SAFETY CLASS INSTRUCTOR at Point Blank Carmel

One of the self-inflicted GSWs that came through my old office was a guy who had jut went through a Point Blank gun safety class. Both him and his wife had gotten a certificate, apparently suitable for framing. He shot himself in his off hand after improperly clearing the weapon prior to breaking it down. His wife made sure everyone at the scene knew he had a certificate...

That's not necessarily on the instructor, mind you, just reminded me of it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "You can't get a squib round in a revolver." ---- gun SAFETY CLASS INSTRUCTOR at Point Blank Carmel
    I would have loved to have shown him the TWO bullets that my gunsmith removed from my Colt Police Positive. I was an idiot and loaded some "light" 38 spl. rounds for it. Obviously way too light! Thankfully the gun wasn't damaged.

1628460019541.png

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Well, that was some time back and she was later behind the counter at INDY ARMS so I hope she's not inflicting information on the learning public anymore.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't smoke pot! Says the man who smells like he was in the van with Bill and Ted and trying to lie on his 4473 where it asks if you are an unlawful user
    Naw, man. This isnt my coat. Or my shirt. I borrowed them from a friend. I guess he smokes out. *sniffs his long hair* Yeah, this isnt my hair either, man. Just sell me the gun.

I stopped by last week and saw the sign. I had to chuckle.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    A guy who was definitely not on a SWAT team told me stories about his extensive training. He said his SWAT team was issued suppressors and taught to put their thumb behind the slide to stop the recoil. He claimed this made the gun completely silent so they could quietly take out multiple targets.

A guy at the ammo counter at Walmart told me he has some Black Talons even though they’re very illegal to possess. He said they actually explode on impact.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I recall a guy at a gun counter talking about all the people he'd killed in battle, trying to impress some young teen girl in looking at guns with her father. While it could have been true, I was leaning towards it being nothing but lies.

Reactions: Leo

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    The Fort Wayne Rural King has some decent, knowledgeable help behind the counter. I talked to a morning staffer awhile back. I gentleman came in and asked to see a revolver. He kept looking at the bottom of the handle......looking for quite a while at the butt of the revolver......then he asked the RK staffer how the magazine ejected and was quite flustered. RK staffer took the revolver, hitting the cylinder release, which he had checked before handing it to the customer, and showed the empty cylinder to the customer.....

"The bullets go here!!! In the REVOLVING CYLINDER.....thus the name....a REVOLVER."

Top Bottom