Whats the stupidest thing you've heard at gun store/range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I will add as someone that has ran ranges for years. One of my observations is. Out of all the slide bite cases I have seen folks with the Beretta 92/M9 get it the worst. Those have some of the sharpest points.

Tried to tell one guy politely a couple times he might want to change the grip. He said he was Military and knew about guns. I said OK and excused myself, sat back and waited About 3 shots later we are bandaging his hand up.
    There is something really satisfying about instant karma.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I will add as someone that has ran ranges for years. One of my observations is. Out of all the slide bite cases I have seen folks with the Beretta 92/M9 get it the worst. Those have some of the sharpest points.

Tried to tell one guy politely a couple times he might want to change the grip. He said he was Military and knew about guns. I said OK and excused myself, sat back and waited About 3 shots later we are bandaging his hand up.

When I've heard "I was in _______", I reply, "So was I, and my brothers, father, grandfather, uncles, great uncles, etc. So I know that MOST people in the military were NOT taught pistols properly. My military pistol training consisted of.. safety is here.. point it there.. use trigger".

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    When I've heard "I was in _______", I reply, "So was I, and my brothers, father, grandfather, uncles, great uncles, etc. So I know that MOST people in the military were NOT taught pistols properly. My military pistol training consisted of.. safety is here.. point it there.. use trigger".
    True but I see the same sillyness with rifles. Even ARs they struggle to find the mag release, manipulate the selector lever then when it won't fire they cant it to one side then the other. Staring at it so intently like they are reading it. Yeah that will "magically" make it work.

Reminds me of a few Agency staff with an 870 Go over the action bar release for chambering the first round. But here we are having a staring contest. LOL

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I always told people that had their thumb behind the slide “hey, don’t do that, you’ll rip your thumb off”. And I’d show them the proper grip. I never had to bandage a woman after telling them once. Always the guys, mostly older guys (before you flame me, I’m an older guy). I’d only give them two warnings, then I’d get the first aid kit ready.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have NEVER gotten slide bit......shot 92F for over 2 decades now....yet when I read this thread I still winced. Now I have anxiety....I will go out and shoot a couple hundred rounds knowing each round will be THE one.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I thought putting your thumb behind the slide wouldn’t let the gases release, therefor making it a silencer?

Not a gun store/range story, but when I was a kid dad and his friend (we’ll call him Fred) were sighting in their muzzleloaders for deer season. His friend reminded me of Ernest, always getting hurt in some stupid way. So he brings his muzzleloader and opens the case and pulls it out, dad leans over and whispers don’t say anything, just watch. Fred loads it, sits on the table and puts the gun on the rest, slowly gets it on target, and BAM... dirt flies behind the target. I didn’t understand what dad was so set on me watching, if he just knew he was gonna shoot off or what. I could hear him laughing so I turned and Fred has blood running down his cheek. I still couldn’t understand, until dad took his gun and showed him he mounted the scope on backwards.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I thought putting your thumb behind the slide wouldn’t let the gases release, therefor making it a silencer?...
    Yup, The dynamics of what's happening there is the screaming from injury is out of phase with the muzzle blast sound waves effectively acting as ANR to create no perceptible sound to the human ear. Although I'm told dogs will still hear it.

Hey is anyone here looking for a Gun Store Counter Person, I've got a few hours available.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    heard a guy casually talking about putting a "regular stock" on a braced mossberg shockwave. Luckily the employee was knowledgeable enough to tell the guy not to do that.
    Saturday must be the day all people get out and try to impress their friends with fake gun knowledge. Another guy was running his mouth, handling just about every gun on display today. Nothing overtly crazy, but was talking about how he'd owned just about every one of them.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Shooting range built in a sand pit...
    That we shouldn't shoot round ball under the turtles. :)
    flying turtle.jpg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have NEVER gotten slide bit......shot 92F for over 2 decades now....yet when I read this thread I still winced. Now I have anxiety....I will go out and shoot a couple hundred rounds knowing each round will be THE one.
    Same. I'd have to be doing weird stuff to get bit by my 92.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Sooo many from working at Midwest range in Elkhart.

Had a kid who regularly came in open carrying his Glock 10mm.

I was once showing a customer a 629, the kid was hovering over the display case in front of the Glocks, he looks at the other customer, and interjects " I've got 15rds of 44 mag right here" then taps the Tupperware on his hip.
    Wasn't even the first time I'd heard that!

SMH...."fanboyz"

Last edited:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    This might belong elsewhere, but here is good.

From my last RSO duty a week ago:
    First I will say that people involved in personal relationships should never try and teach their significant other how to do things.

Dude brings out wife for "first time firing a gun, ever".
    Dude gives lady the electronic muffs and he shoves in the foamies.

In short order, woman is yelling at dude that he has to remove his ear plugs because he is yelling at her. Apparently she has no discernment of tone or understanding of the situation and dude doesn't know how to turn the volume down on the 'lectronic muffs.

I tried to help out and diffuse the situation.

Once she started on him a second time about yelling at her my shift was over and I was on my way out.

Best of luck to you dude!

Top Bottom