Whats the stupidest thing you've heard at gun store/range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Hey, I just thought of something. Awhile back I bought a 25 round drum magazine for my 1911 on a lark. Reckon it would work with my Ruger Blackhawk convertible with the 45 acp cylinder?? ;)

I feel a memory forming in my brain!

Late '90's, stationed in Alaska, a buddy of mine and I would take a Saturday now and then and run around and check out the local gun shops. This was "pre-google-every-gunshop-within-a-hundred-mile-radius", so we had to go with the phone book, and things we heard about word-of-mouth, and things we just happened upon in our travels.

One day, we walked into a shop, and on a shelf behind the counter, they had a 46 round single stack 1911 magazine displayed. It had to be at least 3 feet long, and from what I could see at that distance, appeared to be a body of a single piece of extruded steel. I thought for sure it was a mocked-up joke, but the angle and contour of the feed lips, location of the magazine release cut, and floorplate looked so authentic that I had my doubts. The thing that really made me doubt my OWN doubts was that it was claimed to be a 46 round magazine. Why make the Potemkin magazine, without claiming it to be a full 50 round magazine? Then again, why not lend an air of authenticity to it by claiming an odd round count?

Of course, I asked to handle it, but the counter worker, possibly the shop owner, said that it was for display, and not for sale or handling.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    That story just threw me into a side story, which I think is ok because there's a lot of non gun store/range stories here.

My buddy that I used to run around with, scouring gun shops, well his favorite round was the .444 Marlin. He was a reloader (you can probably tell just by that fact that is story is going to go sideways), and he liked to push the limits of that cartridge. I'm not a reloader, I really know f all about reloading, but I'm pretty sure he was using some bullets called "Barnes Copper Solids". I'm pretty sure that's what he used, because he said they discontinued the bullet diameter and weight he used to develop his loads, and after I left Alaska, he would call me and ask me to look out for these bullets at gun shows. I had it written down at one point, but after about 10 years of gun shows I never found them, so I quit trying.

Anyways, one day we went out shooting at that unregulated shooting area I talked about in some other post. We had some stuff we had grabbed from work to use as a backstop for his reloads, to test penetration. An empty copier paper box, packed tight with old phone books, and banded with 100 mph tape was his designated target, and he planned to use that to measure how deep into the box that bullet went. Of course, he was going to soak it in the pond first, so we shot some other things first, thankfully, because at least I got to shoot that day. :abused:

Time for him to shoot his .444. We carry this soaking wet box of phone books up to the target area, and rest the back of it against a tree, so it doesn't fly backwards too much. He sticks a target on front of it, and we walk back to where he's going to shoot from, maybe 50 or 75 yards. He takes aim, squeezes the trigger, and suddenly I'm wondering if my spleen is still intact. When my vision returns, which was a bit quicker than my brain began to function again, I saw he was standing there somewhat in distress, because his shoulder was dislocated. This was not a very monumental thing, as he had dislocated his shoulder earlier in life, and a couple times since, and he and his wife were used to handling it. I got him up to the truck and sat him down, and cleared the range of we what we had brought, and at his request specifically tried to determine the depth his bullet had penetrated.

I determined that his bullet had entered and exited the box of wet phone books, entered and exited the 8-10 inch tree behind it, and may be one of those pieces of space junk that NASA tracks. I tried to clear his rifle, but it was locked up tight. Lever action. He had to disassemble it to get the spent cartridge out.

US1882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2020
    Noblesville
    Was told that an "instructor" told my girlfriend at the time to keep her finger in the trigger well slightly off the trigger while clearing the house if you hear something at night. Not sure if he knew she had two teenage sons living with her. I have no idea how this came up. It was her first time ever at a gun range. She just wanted to shoot an AR.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    More of a hunting story. I guy came into the LGS and said he had been out hunting on public ground. It was late morning and he was going out for some lunch when he walks by a tree and a man was sitting there.

He said he was sorry and that he didn't know he was there and the guy didn't mind. He asked if he had seen any and the man said, "No, but a got a few 'sound shots' off earlier." He asked the guy what a 'sound shot' was and he said, "Well, I heard a noise down there earlier and could tell it was a deer but it was too dark to see so I just fired of a few rounds, you know, sound shooting."

Now you know why he was at the LGS and not out in the woods...

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Anyone who talks about Glocks as if they were trash. As if over 50% of law enforcement agencies and many military units haven't the slightest clue as to what they are doing. Not saying they are the best out there, but hard to beat for reliability and ruggedness.

I wanted to hate them originally, but after about fifteen years of being an armorer for roughly 600 Glocks (different models as we upgraded to newer generations), I've come to like them a lot. Other than their teething problems with the early Gen 4s, we've never had issues with them.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    On a related note, I was cruising GunBroker earlier today and came upon this gem. If pricing the item way above even pandemic level silliness wasn't enough to deter any prospective buyers then the jack***ery in the item updates ought to do it. The username is just the cherry on the top.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    At PB north yesterday and two old guys were looking at small caliber handguns. The clerk advised that there was no smaller Smith than the EZ in that caliber. One of the olds guys pulls out his loaded pistol right in front of the clerk to prove him wrong. I immediately headed for the door.
    This along with other reasons is why I stopped going to PB. They really need a screening process of some sorts.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    On a related note, I was cruising GunBroker earlier today and came upon this gem. If pricing the item way above even pandemic level silliness wasn't enough to deter any prospective buyers then the jack***ery in the item updates ought to do it. The username is just the cherry on the top.
    Well, he has one more looky-loo watcher now...

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I don't see any link to the item. It might have been removed.

Top Bottom