Whats the stupidest thing you've heard at gun store/range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I decided I wanted a little more gun for coyotes so I took my Winchester model 43 in .22 Hornet to see what I could get in trade in. The fellow at the counter got on the net and said I don't know what to tell you because the prices run from $400 to $1200 for one. He said he would be safe at $400. Picked it up and went to another shop and paid cash for a .243. Sure glad he told me something stupid.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Ex-LEO or Military are the worst IMO. Especially the ones who haven't been one for years but still want to school us on whatever stupid :poop: they learned back in the day. My Dad, an ex-IPD officer who has been retired for 30+ years, was showing me safe gun handling and shot a hole in my kitchen floor. Thanks Dad, at least you reinforced safe gun handling in my mind, just not the way you had planned... :rolleyes:
    That reminds me of the YouTube video of the DEA agent in a school saying that he is the "only one in this room qualified to handle a Glock", right before he shoots himself in the leg with it...

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I went to Bradis to try to buy an AR stripped lower with some particular features. I asked the guy at the counter and he told me "they don't make those and they never did".
    When I tried to explain what I was looking for, he cut me off and assured me that he was a part time cop, retired military, etc and that he knew good and well what he was talking about. He went on to lecture me that all ar lowers are the exact same except for the markings because they are all milspec.

Wtf? Really? I understand being ignorant. I am often ignorant. I do not understand why some folks need to be so aggressive in their ignorance.
    Well Bradis explains most of it. And just because one hasn't seen or heard of something (reasonable product) doesn't mean its not out there.

I have been to a ton of FLETC and private courses before retirement Now teaching part time in a firearms training role and its hard to keep up with every new product that comes out.

Leonidas

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Was at Point Blank in Merrillville one time and the RO saw I was shooting some Critical Defense. He told me I should use those because the polymer tip will melt on your feed ramp and jam it up. And he was told by a cop!
    That is complete BS. I’ve used polymer tip duty ammo by Speer (G2) and Hornady for several years and never had an issue, even in select-fire 9mm platforms.

Fiddle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Fishers
    So - not a store or a range.
    But I was Elk hunting in Durango CO a couple years ago and we were stopped by a Conservation Officer on our way to the hunting spot at 5:00 in the morning. My buddy was holding his rifle in his lap (safely) and the officer asked "is your gun loaded?"
    My friend said "I don't know"
    The officer took his rifle (it did have a round in the chamber) and proceed to give him verbal beatdown and a ticket for being such a big idiot that walks around with a gun not knowing if it is loaded or not.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So - not a store or a range.
    But I was Elk hunting in Durango CO a couple years ago and we were stopped by a Conservation Officer on our way to the hunting spot at 5:00 in the morning. My buddy was holding his rifle in his lap (safely) and the officer asked "is your gun loaded?"
    My friend said "I don't know"
    The officer took his rifle (it did have a round in the chamber) and proceed to give him verbal beatdown and a ticket for being such a big idiot that walks around with a gun not knowing if it is loaded or not.
    Sounds like your friend was lucky. Some places would probably treat that as prima facie evidence that you were hunting from the road. And if it was still dark, that's another possible charge.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I was once in a shop that had a lot of classic firearms.

A young kid behind the counter was loudly proclaiming that Winchester lever actions were never chambered in anything other than .45 Colt.

I calmly explained that classic Winchesters were NEVER chambered in .45 Colt due to the fact that original .45 Colt ammo had rims that were too wimpy to be reliably extracted from anything other than a Single Action Army.

He wouldn't concede his mistake until I asked him to read the stamps from the barrels of several Model 92's on display.

The Winchesters that could ONLY be chambered in .45 Colt had been miraculously altered to fire
    .44-40, .38-40 and .32-20.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    I once heard an explanation of hollow point bullet terminal ballistics from an NRA Certified Instructor. It went like this- When you fire the round, the spinning of the bullet causes the petals in the jacket to open. When it hits the target, the spinning petals act like razor blades and cut a hole in the target. The bullet going through the target and the spinning of the jacket makes a "hurricane force" that sucks the bad guy's lungs into the hole made by the bullet. I'm an NRA Certified Instructor and I must have missed that part in Instructor class.......

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I once heard an explanation of hollow point bullet terminal ballistics from an NRA Certified Instructor. It went like this- When you fire the round, the spinning of the bullet causes the petals in the jacket to open. When it hits the target, the spinning petals act like razor blades and cut a hole in the target. The bullet going through the target and the spinning of the jacket makes a "hurricane force" that sucks the bad guy's lungs into the hole made by the bullet. I'm an NRA Certified Instructor and I must have missed that part in Instructor class.......

So how would he explain HP's making the same size hole, in paper, as FMJ?
    If the "spinning" opens the jacket in mid flight, shouldn't it cut a much larger hole in a paper target? Hmmmmmm.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    So how would he explain HP's making the same size hole, in paper, as FMJ?
    If the "spinning" opens the jacket in mid flight, shouldn't it cut a much larger hole in a paper target? Hmmmmmm.
    NRA instructors are like those that claim LEO, Military, Master Jedi status etc. Most are nowhere near as proficient as the ones that really care. Remember just because they passed a minimum standard Doesn't make them proficient (like 80% of everyone with firearms or driving. Doesnt make one proficient.

And some like the JHP example are more FOS than most.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not at a gun counter, but two older gents discussing getting a "concealed carry permit." at Lowes. Both in their late 50s at least. (and both employees)

The one new to guns was seeking advice from a supposed expert coworker.

"You only need a concealed carry permit if you want to hide it. You can open carry without a permit. You only need the permit if you don't want to OC."

After a few minutes eavesdropping and realizing the "expert" is going to get this poor gent into DEEP legal trouble, I HAD to speak up.

"Excuse me for interrupting, but I couldn't help but over hear what you were saying about OC vs CC. I'm afraid you are incorrect. Could you do me a favor? Could you take out your pink concealed carry permit and look at it? I want to show you something."
    "Sure" (very puzzled)
    *He takes it out*
    "OK. Please show me on the card where it says "concealed carry".

After him flipping it over repeatedly looking closely I explained the law to BOTH of them. The novice thanked me PROFUSELY after standing and listening to me, his face showing that he realized his "expert" about got his butt in a sling with bad advice up until that point. I suggested they BOTH look up Guy's class and take it as its money well spent.

Last edited:

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    All this makes me wonder why so many act so self assured and arrogant about guns. Like being behind the gun counter makes them more of a man. I dont hear refrigerator or tire "experts" act like foreskins.

Somebody nailed it, always the ex military SF FBI CIA Secret Service blah blah blah. Jeez get a life...

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I actually read every post in this thread, and they were all entertaining, and many of them were the same things I've seen.

Here's a couple of mine.

I was at the Indy 1500 looking for an AR upper half. I was going back and forth in my mind about the features I wanted, but I figured once I had them in my hands, it would be easier to settle on what I really wanted. I walked up to the table of a reputable manufacturer with many uppers laid out, and I was standing next to these two women. One was telling the other that all of A2 flash suppressors on the uppers were installed upside-down, because the side without the slots was on the bottom, and having the slots on top would ruin your night vision. I opened my mouth to correct her, but instead of words, all I could feel was rising hysterical laughter. I shut my mouth and turned and walked away, snorting in that way you do when you're stifling a laugh, and had to pull a paper towel out of my pocket and blow my nose from all the snorting. I composed my self and went back to correct her, but they were long gone. The thing is, what had me cracking up wasn't what she said, but the way she said it, with total authority on the matter.

I was out at Wlibur Wright one day, shooting some rifles, among them an AR. The guy in the lane next to me is shooting a black powder rifle of some sort. During a break in shooting, he asks me about my AR. "What do you hunt with that?" he says. I reply that I don't hunt, that I use this as a self-defense weapon against people who might wish to do me harm. I concluded by telling him that I guess I hunt people with it, and smiled. He gave me a look like he just had a tampon blowout. After that exchange, I ask him in a friendly manner what brand of BP he's shooting. He looks it all over looking for a brand name, then proudly declares the brand that is on his scope. I know next to nothing about BP rifles, but I know that whatever brand he declared (I disremember what he said) does not manufactur BP rifles.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Pretty much in line with the other postings... my brother-in-law once worked in a Wal-Mart which sold guns, he has also watched Pawn Stars, so he constantly considers himself qualified to "educate" me about guns.

His latest was concern about why auction houses don't have to follow the same rules as a Wal-Mart when selling guns. Mind you he has never actually been to an auction where they sold guns, it was just something he "knew" about. I set him straight, although I know from past experience that it's not likely that he actually learned anything.

One from the past... I used to have my collection on display in my basement. A guy came to work on our furnace and saw what I had. He asked me if I had ever killed anybody. I was too stunned to think up a smart-ass reply.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom