What's new in quality in-ear electronic hearing protection?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Considering some higher end in-the-ear electronic hearing protection. Any new tech products that actually work? Or 1st hand knowledge of good quality & performing ones? Electronic muffs work but get a bit annoying after a few hrs of squeezing glasses against temples. Plus they get in the way a bit for long guns. I find many advertised but also read some really suck and are just slick marketing schemes, even paying off people to take down negative reviews, low lifes. So who are the good ones?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I was selling a ton of Otto Noize Barrier Micros. I pulled a set from my inventory and have been using them ever since. It doesn’t deaden ambient sound when a gun shot is heard, so it’s light years ahead of most. It has a rechargeable case with led battery indicators, and I’ve only had to recharge the case once over two years. I’ve tried most other options and didn’t like them. I love these. My only complaint is that is has two sound levels, and I desire one right between them. Note, I no longer sell these since I dissolved that business, but turn people on to them all the time.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I was selling a ton of Otto Noize Barrier Micros. I pulled a set from my inventory and have been using them ever since. It doesn’t deaden ambient sound when a gun shot is heard, so it’s light years ahead of most. It has a rechargeable case with led battery indicators, and I’ve only had to recharge the case once over two years. I’ve tried most other options and didn’t like them. I love these. My only complaint is that is has two sound levels, and I desire one right between them. Note, I no longer sell these since I dissolved that business, but turn people on to them all the time.
    Rough idea of the price?

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have the walkers in ear hearing protection that comes in the rechargeable and recharging case. I have really grown to love them. Especially once Walker got the Bluetooth app working correctly. They are good for most all outdoor shooting. But big loud guns inside at a range are a bit much for them

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I have the walkers in ear hearing protection that comes in the rechargeable and recharging case. I have really grown to love them. Especially once Walker got the Bluetooth app working correctly. They are good for most all outdoor shooting. But big loud guns inside at a range are a bit much for them
    I have some inexpensive over-the-ear electronic ear muffs and found the same issue. Great at the outdoor range, OK with most handguns indoors but not so hot with loud rifle and heavy caliber handguns indoors. Went back to my old heavy Remmington ear muffs for indoors when I am shooting solo.

A little out of my current budget but found these:

Amazon product ASIN B07SSDDND1
    Would be more interested in something around $100-150ish

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Thanks for the re. Those also got a positive review here; https://www.range365.com/story/gear-up/otto-engineering-ear-hearing-protection/
    And by some TS folks too; https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/any-experience-with-otto’s-noizebarrier-micro-earplugs.871503/
    Street price seems to be $399.

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    I just got my wife and I some Axil gs extreme on a black friday special for $100 per set. My first in ear type protection. I was tired of over ear muffs messing with my cheek weld. Also wanted something I could use while hunting that wouldn't block ambient sound. I was disappointed the first time I used them, but kept trying the different tips they came with and finally found the ones that work for me. Now I am quite pleased with them so far.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Otto NoiseBarriers for me as well. I use Westone foam tips on them for my preferred comfort. If I lost them today, a new set would already be on order.

Botach currently has a 10% off site wide coupon.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I tried the lower end Axils with a wire connecting the sides. Maybe I got a bad set, maybe not. They had way too much background hiss for my liking. Went to the Otto's and gave the Axil to a friend that wanted to try electronic plugs.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    I tried the lower end Axils with a wire connecting the sides. Maybe I got a bad set, maybe not. They had way too much background hiss for my liking. Went to the Otto's and gave the Axil to a friend that wanted to try electronic plugs.
    More than one reviewer posted similar unfavorable reviews & then said they were offered $$ by the company to remove their negative reviews.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I've used the original Walkers Silencers for a few years, with Bluetooth compatability. I bought them for dual purpose shooting and "everyday" use (travel, cutting the grass, etc). They have versions without Bluetooth for a bit cheaper if you don't intend to listen to music. I just lost my original set (have the charger, but can't find the ear buds), so I bought their new 2.0s, which I should be getting any day now.

They are awesome for outdoor range use and hunting, but I only wore them once or twice on indoor ranges (typically use over-ear, plus plugs). They are comfortable enough for me to wear them on 4-5 hour plane rides without issue.

I haven't tried others, but for the price, they seem hard to beat. I didn't even think twice about trying another brand when I realized I lost mine.

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    I did notice an annoying back ground static type noise with my Axil's if I turn the sound enhancement volume way up, but found that I certainly don't need them turned up that high. Even with them turned down as low as they will go, I still hear better than I can without them.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Don't bother searching "top rated (fill in the blank)" anything anymore. The net has been overtaken by marketing websites disguised as reviewers. Easy to recognize when all the "top products" on their list have convenient links to only products available at bezos-ville.
    Disgusting;

1641153126416.png

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The Otto ones look good, but spendy. Is the main advantage comfort, or are there other justifications I can give myself for spending the money? ;)
    Max comfort for me with Weston foam plugs added.

Great sound, battery life and sound reduction without clipping conversation. Always charged in the case and rarely need to charge the case.

Very small size.

Top Bottom