What's Everyone looking For In A Candidate?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    There's been a preponderance of threads revolving around individual candidates the GOP either has or will field for the 2012 election cycle. Each one has discussed individual candidates pros and cons, with members supporting or detracting from each. I thought perhaps a single consolidated thread in which INGO members could discuss what they were looking for, or what would constitute an "ideal" candidate was in order.

For me an "ideal" candidate would be one that primarily represented classical liberal sensibilities. The ideals of smaller government, less federal involvement in the day to day lives of the citizenry, without moral/religious overtones to their platform. I want religion mixed with my politics the way I want my fish mixed with my morning oatmeal, which is to say not at all. Similarly, I want no part of "compassionate conservatism" which is a euphemism for liberal republicanism. I guess the key ingredients would be a firm basis in Constitutional understanding of the role of the executive branch, with a ready and willing veto pen waiting for entitlement spending, expansion of government in any way, shape or form and no compromise whatsoever on the civil liberties of the American public.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I could live with that if you throw in non-interventionist and anti-war. The only candidates that match that, though are Johnson and Paul. The others in the race don't even come close.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Could you define what you mean by "anti-war" please? Do you mean anti-our-current-wars, or just anti-war in general? I mean I don't want some rabid, raving warhawk looking to spill blood and treasure all over the globe, but I don't want some peacenik chump either.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Mostly anti current wars and any future war that didn't come with an out and out act of aggression against us. They should also have a declaration of war attached to them, signed off on by the congress, not presidential whim, like Libya and Yemen. Peace and free trade should always be what we are going after. We're well past the time when the big stick should be put away and only pulled out in the direst of circumstances.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    fair enough, I can agree with that for the most part. I supported the war in Afghanistan, but not the nation building farce to show our kinder gentler machine gun hand it has become.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    If I could only pick one trait, it would be a president who will control regulations. Fedzilla does not need to design our light bulbs, toilets, cars, tires, or number of cold pills we buy.
    When the "there oughtta be a law" club gets together, the president should act like a man and tell the kids, "No".

chefnick7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Monticello Indiana
    I want a focus on job creation, specifically flat / fair taxes and less government restrictions. I don't care about the social issues at all right now. I am turning out anyone focusing on gay marriage and abortion as an issue as that's not going to help the economy one bit. I also want to hear about cuts to spending and ending the wars. I agreed with Afghanistan as well but the time has come to leave. I am disappointed in not hearing about the elimination of free trade.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I'll second that--honesty.

If you've smoked dope, had a dozen mistresses, dui's, cheated on every exam you've ever taken, taken truckloads of money from banks and lobbyists for favors--just ADMIT IT! That would at least be an improvement.

From my standpoint, Ron Paul does appear to be the most honest one out there. Although let's face it--we can't do much worse than what we've got. You could hold an INGO raffle, pick the next President that way and we'd be better off. Heck, even get one of those 46 star brigadier commander marshal generals from that militia thread and we'd be better off.

All that being said, I think Obama will be re-elected.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I want a President who doesn't want to tell me what kind of light bulb I have to buy, and who will let the market decide what's the better product.

I want a president who will allow people to prosper by getting educated and working hard, not punish them by taking their money and giving it to others sitting on the couch.

I want a president who doesn't want to be the world wide drama queen that the US has become, and who will quit screwing around in the affairs of other countries. With this includes having a president who has worn a US military uniform and knows the sacrafice of veterans.

I want a president who recognizes that a childs life is precious even while it hasn't been born yet and someone who recognizes that marriage should be between a man and woman. Having said that, I don't want the same president to tell others who they can and can't marry and I want a president who's going to empower the states and make them man up and decide on some of these issues for themselves.

I want a president who has a rock solid, no flip flop record over a long period of time, so that America can be confident in who they get in the office.

I want Ron Paul and I will settle for no less.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    In no particular order:
    Honest answers to serious questions.
    Focused on Constitution.
    Focused on solutions not blame.
    Smaller government.
    Country over party.
    Country over special interests.
    Country over reelection.
    Internal over external spending. (wars, aid, etc.)
    Stop buying friends, allies and contributors.
    Can't happen in today's political environment.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

If you really don't believe it can happen, I'd ask you to at least read Ron Paul's book Liberty Defined. I have it on CD and I think listening to it would change your mind. If you ever get up around FW I'll give you the book on CD if you'd be willing to listen to it.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010

If you really don't believe it can happen, I'd ask you to at least read Ron Paul's book Liberty Defined. I have it on CD and I think listening to it would change your mind. If you ever get up around FW I'll give you the book on CD if you'd be willing to listen to it.
    Today's political environment is one of divide and conquer. The Republicans and the Democrats keep the country split so there's not a unified effort toward the root cause, which is funding to and from from special interests.

If defense funding is cut, the defense industries will get hit. Generally speaking, those industries tend to contribute more to Republicans, who in turn funnel spending back to them. While we'd like to think Democrats keep their base happy with entitlements, they too have a lot of special interest money coming in. While not as simple as it would appear, may as well cut out the middle men and have tax payers fund political campaigns directly.

I like Ron Paul and will look into his book. We keep asking why Ron doesn't get the attention he deserves - well, follow the money.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would like one that actually believes in the Constitution. In my opinion most of what the Federal Government does these days is NOT empowered by the Constitution. Too many of the Federal departments should not even exist. If we got rid of several of them, cut the size of most of the rest of them, no longer allow them to spend money on things they are not Constitutionally mandated to do, most of our problems would be over. Why do they have the right to take our money from us, then send the money to other people, corporations, or the States? It is wrong.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Today's political environment is one of divide and conquer. The Republicans and the Democrats keep the country split so there's not a unified effort toward the root cause, which is funding to and from from special interests.

If defense funding is cut, the defense industries will get hit. Generally speaking, those industries tend to contribute more to Republicans, who in turn funnel spending back to them. While we'd like to think Democrats keep their base happy with entitlements, they too have a lot of special interest money coming in. While not as simple as it would appear, may as well cut out the middle men and have tax payers fund political campaigns directly.

I like Ron Paul and will look into his book. We keep asking why Ron doesn't get the attention he deserves - well, follow the money.

I agree with everything you're saying and that's exactly why Ron Paul is so appealing to me. The man get blatantly ignored by both sides of the media because both sides know that he wouldn be devastating to their cash flow.

If you haven't already do a google video search on "Jon stewart, Ron Paul". There's an outstanding clip of Jon Stewart going on a Rant about how even Fox News is ignoring Ron Paul.

Ron Paul's message has gotten out and it's being heard more than either side of the media will recognize. Look at how much money he's been given through donations to run and look at how he placed in Iowa.

I pray that Ron Paul is going to be as much of a surprise to the establishment that the TEA party rally in DC was. It'll be a big shock and the media will barely report on it, but it can certainly happen.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    No more secret society presidents

I agree with most sentiments listed above.

I wanted to add something that I do NOT want in a candidate: a candidate who is involved with pagan fraternities, globalist councils, secret societies, etc. I prefer a candidate who isn't wearing cryptic skull jewelry, and who isn't out in the woods secretly worshiping a giant stone owl statue.

How about a candidate who has not in bed with the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR)? A group that is chock full of people openly pushing for destruction of our sovereignty.
    CFR Influence in Government, Media, & Business -- Modern History Project

From 1928-72, nine out of twelve Republican Presidential nominees were CFR members. From 1952-72, CFR members were elected four out of six times. During three separate campaigns, both the Republican and Democratic nominee were, or had been a member. Since World War II, practically every Presidential candidate, with the exception of Johnson, Goldwater, and Reagan, have been members.
    ... And while Reagan wasn't a CFR member, he appointed 75 of them to run his administration. :n00b:
    As JFK said,

The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plo-1rLZ3Jo[/ame]

Top Bottom