What would you do... Active shooter scenario...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Don't know that I could just run away with dozens of other people in danger. I am no hero and have never been in a situation like that but I would be very disappointed in myself if I just ran away and didn't try to help others.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    KJW, I see what you're saying with the question. The real question is, how close is the armed good guy to my child? Obviously, if my child is killed and the guy is right there, then I would question why they didn't do anything. If they're on the other side of the mall, there's no way I could ask them to get involved. If I'm close enough that people around me are getting shot, I'm not protecting them when I draw my weapon. I'm protecting myself and they just happen to be close enough to benefit from my response. Obviously, If I'm drawing, I'm going to be telling others to get to cover or get out. However, I'm not deploying my weapon and hunting someone down, and if people around me are getting shot, I'm not gonna try to run away, it'll be fight time.

This is a perfect example of situation response. If caught in the line of fire and others are close, yes, I would have to defend as best I could. If escape is not an option then defense is all you have at that point. If a child or even an adult was shot and I did nothing, well, here come the sleepless nights.
    Not running away when others are in danger either. Yes, family first but we (adults) are all armed anyway. Some feel it is not their place to defend outside family, I am OK with that. Myself, I like having my Karma clear.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    I could not stand by while others are being shot. I would do my best to try to protect others. The most important thing in my life is to protect my family! But to let others being massacred, I just can't let that happen. No hero, just care about my fellow man.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I can't say what I'd do until that adrenaline is pumping and I'm hearing shots fired.I've always been somewhat of a shepherd and felt that it was my job to help anyone in need.Family is paramount,but I don't know that I wouldn't tell them to get out and then stay put in cover.We all consider ourselves sheepdogs,so why would we allow a wolf free reign?

As for the LEO showing up,that would be a tricky situation if you were engaging an enemy and they're telling for you to drop your weapon.My guess would be to get to cover,put the weapon on the ground and point towers the threat,but who knows?

We should all pray that we're never in that situation but expect and prepare for it every time we step out of the castle.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I would grab my family and get away as fast as i could to protect them. I would not be a cowboy and charge them. My family is always first, but i would not hesitate to draw an protect my family and myself if i had to.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Its dependent on the situation for me. My family getting to a safe location is number 1. I couldn't allow innocent people to be harmed if I could help it without dying.
    My fear is not the police shooting me, it's some idiot gun owner who is trigger happy and wants to shoot at anything that moves with a gun. Like the idiot at the walmart armored truck robbery that went to town with his pea shooter .22
    when the cops show up ideally my gun would be holstered, but I can tell you for certain I'll be following any and all commands Ricky tick!

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I would get my family and loved ones away from the danger. Then if possible I would return to help others to safety and engage the threat if possible. I know I sound all internet commando, but I couldn't live with myself if I had the small chance to stop the shooter(s) and stood idle. I completely understand why some would choose not to go back.

hoobilly65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    If everyone is safe (family, freinds, others) and there no other way out and if you can stomach it, neutralize the threat. BUT remember now the focas is on you. Prudence is always better than valor until the situation is valid.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    What has been bothering me though is others possibly carrying or even off duty LEO sending lead my direction thinking I am the perp.

I would venture a guess that if you are in a position to engage an "active shooter" (I still want to know what an "inactive shooter" is that we now have to differentiate/sensationalize it w/ "active")... the situation will be over one way or the other long before LEO or armed security arrives. It's usually minutes for a response. That will give you the seconds you need to scan, assess the situation, reholster, etc. On the off chance that's not the case or there's another armed person nearby, communicating would help (even a "STOP!" or "GUN!" ... something police would use themselves against a bad guy but not seem as if you are impersonating police), as would maintaining cover.

I've often thought if I were in this situation in a "gun free zone" (ie unarmed) and was near the shooter, I'd just yell "Stop! Put the gun down, we have you surrounded" as loud as I could.... most of these guys off themselves at the first hint of opposition.

-rvb

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    #1 priority, I would get low, and secure me and mine. Look for either cover, or preferably an exit, and move. If I happen across others along the way, I would do what I could for them along the way, but not to the point of neglecting my, or my families security.

Past that, the situation will be anything but normal, and as such, any planning on my part would need to stay dynamic in order to walk away from such a situation.

Thinking about this has raised another question/thought in my mind. I know LEOs are highly trained, always professional, and NEVER step outside of the guidelines of department policy, but going into any situation of this sort, adrenaline will probably be flowing free, and sometimes people do things out of either instinct, or fear. Running into a public place, full of people, knowing that there is a person who is actively shooting people, what is the first thing you think when you see a gun and civilian attire? Having a gun in hand if/when the police show up could be the last mistake we make. Likewise, if you are an OC devotee, and the wrong officer happens to see Mr John Doe running out behind a bunch of frightened citizens with a hand cannon strapped into is thigh holster, its very plausible to think that things may not end so well for Mr. Doe.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from OC, but pointing out that when nerves are on edge, and people are frighted, sometimes things arent so black and white as a normal thinking people might believe in an ordinary situation. ANY actions should be VERY clear as to your intentions when combining these circumstances.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Im surprised nobody is saying he would just draw his CCW badge to ID himself as the good guy for when the LEOs (or other armed citizens) show up. :dunno:

inlarge.jpg
    Where do you get one of those, can I get mine with pointy stars like "matt dillon"??? :laugh:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    While on this mortal coil, my first responsibility is to my wife - to do my best to be there for her and to care for her first. Then comes my kids.

Everyone else is tied for varying degrees of third through infinity. Because my wife and kids come first - I'm reluctant to put myself in situations which may deprive THEM of ME.

-J-

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    i going with i have no idea what i would do, i like to think if i had a clear shot at the sob and he didn't have armor on i would shoot them, but i have no clue what i would really do.

nashfred01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2012
    Bloomington
    Protect yourself and your family. Get out if you can. If you need to draw your weapon and fire, put it right back up once the threat is gone. If you have time, call 911 and let them know what you are wearing and make sure they know you are not the bad guy.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    #1 priority, I would get low, and secure me and mine. Look for either cover, or preferably an exit, and move. If I happen across others along the way, I would do what I could for them along the way, but not to the point of neglecting my, or my families security.

Past that, the situation will be anything but normal, and as such, any planning on my part would need to stay dynamic in order to walk away from such a situation.

Thinking about this has raised another question/thought in my mind. I know LEOs are highly trained, always professional, and NEVER step outside of the guidelines of department policy, but going into any situation of this sort, adrenaline will probably be flowing free, and sometimes people do things out of either instinct, or fear. Running into a public place, full of people, knowing that there is a person who is actively shooting people, what is the first thing you think when you see a gun and civilian attire? Having a gun in hand if/when the police show up could be the last mistake we make. Likewise, if you are an OC devotee, and the wrong officer happens to see Mr John Doe running out behind a bunch of frightened citizens with a hand cannon strapped into is thigh holster, its very plausible to think that things may not end so well for Mr. Doe.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from OC, but pointing out that when nerves are on edge, and people are frighted, sometimes things arent so black and white as a normal thinking people might believe in an ordinary situation. ANY actions should be VERY clear as to your intentions when combining these circumstances.
    I understand all that. What was the response time at Sandy Hook? Something like 15 minutes before the cops actually entered? In Aurora CO (according to wiki) it was about 9 minutes before the police were called. At Virginia Tech it took three minutes for the cops to get there and another 5 before they entered. My point is, police aren't going to just come charging in blindly. You will have a chance to engage, reholster, and hide if you choose. And if you are close enough to make it happen within ten minutes.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Yep. I'm neither equipped or trained to "charge into battle". I'm gathering my family and we're putting distance between us and the action. If I have to, I'll defend myself.

Hard to say until it actually happens but I would think this would be my course of action unless the shooter changes it.

WoodWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    I am former U.S. army, and I believe that as such I would have to advance on the perp, and take him out. I would send my family to a safe location first.

Top Bottom