What Would Be Your Reaction If Extraterestial Life Was Discovered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I read a great piece somewhere that said we are not alone, that it's impossible that we are. But, with as much time that has passed since The Bang, an entire space faring civilization could have risen from their soup, evolved, ventured forth from it's planet, explored the galaxy... and then died off. All before our primordial ancestors were cooked in the soup... and that may also be the case for us too when we explore the galaxies. Yet someone, somewhere, will one day hear something and realize they are not alone, even if they are not themselves human.

Simply put, space and time itself is so vast that the chances of space faring species meeting in person is near zero... but we will one day hear from one, but not be able to answer.

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Good evening guys and gals,

I was reading an online article earlier today. NASA is going to send two rovers to Mars before 2022.

They will have the ability to dig into the ground and test soil samples for any signs of life. The head of the project thought that mankind is not ready or can't handle the fact of knowing that we are not alone.

He stated something along the lines that this discovery will fundamentally change society. I don't agree with him on that.

If life was discovered on Mars I would find it very interesting. My religious views would not change and I surmise that many others share similar beliefs.

Aliens have been a part of our culture for decades; in film, literature, video games, etc..
    I don't think our society will be greatly affected.

What says you ingo? What would your reaction be if NASA announced microscopic life on Mars was discovered?

I feel really sorry for the members of my generation who already need a safe space to escape domestic people, ideas, etc that cause them distress
    It sounds as if the project lead has already determined that life will be found on Mars to make a statement like he did. I strive to think critically and objectively as possible in all things and honestly our history is filled with all kinds of documented science hoaxes. Especially in matters where science influences the political arena, or vise versa. I'm a Clinical Engineer that specializes in the sterilization of micro organisms and on the surface of this I can see a lot of ways it can go wrong. No matter how careful they are that rover will carry micro organisms from Earth to Mars. I doubt anything will survive the journey but still at the least dead organisms will make it there. That alone raises so many questions in my mind of the assurance of the science.

Regardless though it won't change my personal beliefs and world view. I will however be very interested to see how they arrive at their findings and not just interested in the findings alone.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Aliens in the bible...
    Reckon that depends on what you think an alien is.

Ever see a picture of an Assyrian statue of a desert demon?
    Looks like what Ezekiel described.
    It's a matter of who's side you're on when one man's bad guy is another man's good guy.
    And that of course takes us to 2Kings6:17 where the ability to perceive them had to be OK'd for a person to see them. That is still true in the modern era if one pays attention to recorded case histories. They are seen when they want to be seen or else do not care to conceal themselves.

So what should a person think aliens are when they've been interacting with people through thousands of years of recorded history?
    Should a person think they are good guys or bad guys?
    That depends on whose side you're on.

thumbs-up.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There ain't no difference between a flying saucer and a time machine. People get so hung up on specifics they miss out on seeing the whole thing. Take South America for example. [In] South America, thousands of people go missing every year. Nobody knows where they go, they just, like, disappear. But if you think about it for a minute, you realize something. There had to be a time when there was no people, right? Well where did all these people come from, huh? I'll tell you where. The future. And where did all these people disappear to? [Otto: The past?] That's right! And how did they get there? Flying saucers. Which are really..? Yeah, you got it, time machines.

*.*

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So every planet will inevitably form life at some point?
    No.

You asked:
    What are the odds of life forming in the first place *without interference from a higher being or god*.

As you are able to pose that question, the odds are exactly 1 in 1.

That's how "odds" work. If something HAS happened, the chance of it happening is 100%.

We can discuss the "without interference" part. Then again, a "higher being or god" would ALSO be alive, so the odds are back to 1 in 1 (100%).

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I always thought they had already found bacteria or whatever from space. I guess that would count as extraterrestrial life.

I assuming you are talking about higher life forms, to which I wouldn’t be surprised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    What would your reaction be if NASA announced microscopic life on Mars was discovered?

I've always thought this was an interesting question, especially when one thinks about abortion....yes, abortion.

Microscopic life. Interesting combination of 2 words. We have microscopic life from a man and a woman that comes together in the womb. The "microscopic life" the multiplies and we have a child. Interesting; isn't it?

They will call it a great discovery if and when they find this "microscopic life" on Mars all the while claiming microscopic life in the womb is really nothing. They will protect that microscopic life found on mars before they will protect that microscopic life on earth.

Interesting.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I always thought they had already found bacteria or whatever from space. I guess that would count as extraterrestrial life.

I assuming you are talking about higher life forms, to which I wouldn’t be surprised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know we have found amino acids. Don't recall us finding anything like a virus or bacteria. The top web search results on the topic are either non-scientific sites or movies. Can't find any real research off-hand.

Top Bottom