• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt with 7-1/2" barrel.
    I bought it in 1988, when I was still serving on active duty in the Navy, somewhere not far north of $200 at the time.
    As many people know, the Blackhawk .45 Colt can handle some pretty impressive handloads, and I often make my ammo that way, especially for hunting.
    About a year after I got this Blackhawk, I was shooting some powerful 200 grain lead semi-wadcutters, when suddenly the gun recoiled upward without returning to horizontal.
    As it turned out, the aluminum grip frame had snapped above and below the coil hammer spring!
    I called Ruger to explain what had happened, and they told me they could replace the grip frame with a steel version that should be more durable.
    The price for the repair was somewhere just above $90, so I agreed and sent it back to them.
    It returned about a month later with the new steel grip frame, plus they reblued the incidental little nicks out of the barrel and cylinder, and even replaced the hammer with the lower and wider Super Blackhawk style spur, which is noticeable if you know that the standard Blackhawk spur is the same width as the rest of the sides of the hammer.
    I still have it, presently with a Leapers red dot sight, although I'll probably put the iron sights back on.

Ruger_Blackhawk_45_Colt.jpg

Last edited:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Herters 22 SA revolver / made of pot metal / used some 40+ year old CCIs, that had turned hot primers / blew the pot metal apart around the firing pin..... go figure, I was 16

Terrible Ted

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    SW OH-IO
    Lionheart LH9, just picked it up from FFL on Friday. Only had a short range session with it, but pleased so far. High quality materials and fit, outstanding trigger.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    My brother gave me a Ruger Single Six for Christmas when I was 18 years old. Young and foolish, I traded it a couple years later for a nice Browning Challenger, but now reflecting back after 30+ years, I wish I had held on to it. I have a nice Ruger Single Six again, but it is just not quite the same. He returned the favor as I bought him a nice Winchester 12ga single shot which he hunted with one time and then kept out in his garage. He gave the gun back to me a few years ago, rusted and neglected. For now it is my garage gun, but I hope to restore it one day.

cl4p-tp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Kokomo
    I bought my first handgun the day I turned 21, a Springfield 1911. That gun was my favorite... Too bad someone broke into my house a few years back and decided they wanted it more

dcombs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2014
    Alexandria
    S&W 3913, then on to S&W 4013...(still miss that one) now after finally selling my colt double eagle. I am the now proud and more comfortable owner of the XDS 45 3.3 and LOVE IT !!!

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    My first was a brand new SW 5903 9mm. 1993 I think.
    I sold it years ago, but nostalgia has caught up to me and I recently bought another. It pairs well with the 3913 I picked up from INGO last year.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    My first hand gun was a Colt Police Positive in 38 special. Wish I still had it. It was sold for to good a price to keep it. Picked up a Colt Trooper for what I got out of the Police Positive. Still have it but don't shoot it much. It has turned into a safe queen. For use I replaced it with a 629 4" barrel. I like my 44s big time.

Top Bottom