• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patient Zer0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Peru/Kokomo
    About 2 months ago I bought a H&R Rough Rider .22 SA revolver with a 6" barrel. After some consideration, I decided to pack this pistol and a couple hundred rounds in my BOB as a game getter for small game in order to conserve the 9mm and 7.62x39 for defense and larger game such as deer. However, it has a 2nd cylinder for .22 Mag. I have never owned a .22 Mag before and was wondering what would you use the .22 Mag for that you wouldn't just use .22 LR?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    About 2 months ago I bought a H&R Rough Rider .22 SA revolver with a 6" barrel. After some consideration, I decided to pack this pistol and a couple hundred rounds in my BOB as a game getter for small game in order to conserve the 9mm and 7.62x39 for defense and larger game such as deer. However, it has a 2nd cylinder for .22 Mag. I have never owned a .22 Mag before and was wondering what would you use the .22 Mag for that you wouldn't just use .22 LR?

Any thing you could kill with a 22LR in a rifle, you could kill with the 22 mag in a pistol if you can hit it.

It would deffinately be a better choice for beaver size game with a pistol than a 22LR provided both are equally accurate.

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    The .22mag round is great round. I think it's a better 'game getter' than .22LR. The .22mag JHP will almost force the shooter to aim for the head shot otherwise some meat will be distroyed. As an added bonus, in a SHTF situation, the .22mag will down a deer will the proper shot. Just my:twocents:. Later, Bob

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    A .22lr will take down a deer with proper shot placement. We use a .22 short for shooting cows, and pigs for butchering. People seem to think that a .22lr is a toy caliber. It most certainly is NOT, and can inflict lots of damage even at long ranges. Mobsters used to use .22's for assasinations because the bullet would enter the skull, then bounce off the back and richot all around the inside of your head. I would much rather be hit with a 9mm than a .22. At least the 9mm is going to go through me and only make 2 holes.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The 22 Mag is actually a good choice as a hunting round. Cost of rounds, space they take up... yada, yada. I however prefer 22LR if nothing else than for its availability. I would almost be willing to bet that though the midwest, 6 out of 10 houses has at least a brick of it just laying around. Plus with proper shot placement the list of what you can not kill with it becomes remarkably small.

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    He's talking about a BOB (Bug Out Bag), so apparently the 9mm and 7.62x39 that would get used on deer would be in a SHTF (**** Hits the Fan) scenario where the government has collapsed, chaos ensues, zombies are taking over, yada yada yada. In such a doomsday scenario, game laws (including caliber restrictions) wouldn't matter.

Wow...you read between the lines a whole lot better than I do. I see a post where a guy wants to shoot deer with a 9mm and you see zombies. Again.....wow.

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    i see "bob" (bug out bag) and i instantly envision complete shtf survival mode ... not someone wanting to illegally take a deer.

but that's just me.

:twocents:

Patient Zer0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Peru/Kokomo
    Yes folks, I was talking about a survival scenario. I follow the game laws as they are written. But if I had to leave in a hurry, I just wondered if the .22 mag was worth the added weight and bother.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If it is just a cylinder drop in I would take it. The weapon would then be capable of loading 2 different types of ammo. Increasing your chances of finding more ammo later.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yes folks, I was talking about a survival scenario. I follow the game laws as they are written. But if I had to leave in a hurry, I just wondered if the .22 mag was worth the added weight and bother.

Sometimes people look at a post and wonder how they can contribute, other times people, maybe even the same guy, will look at a post and wonder how they can bust the guys chops. Most times it has a lot more to do with the person replyings situation and attitude at the time than it does with the post they are replying to. It get to every one once in a while.

As for the 22/mag I agree with the guy who said bring the extra cylinder if it's an option but I wouldn't deliberately set my self up to depend on the availability of 22mag amo.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    The 22 mag is an awesome round for it's size. It has better balistics than a .38special. I used to EXPLODE hedgeapples with it. A fox dropped in it's tracks. I could stick my thumb in the wound. DO NOT underestimate a .22 mag.

Top Bottom