• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kiko555

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Aug 11, 2022
    Fairmount
    Hi I bought a Beretta pico with some light rust on outside slide what's the best thing to clean it off I tried clp and tooth brush but wasn't strong enough

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    (Most grades) of stainless steal cannot rust, the nickel in the stainless steel is the reason. However rust can be "transferred " to stainless steel by meens of a wet carbon steel item laying on the stainless steel rusting (semi rapid oxidation) causing a transferred & deposit of materials.
    A few grades of Stainless steel can rust and that steel needs to be "passivated" (via nitric acid)
    but I'm certain you don't car abut any of this, so How about a picture so we can determine the best help we can offer you.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Try the magic eraser......sweat from your fingers Trappe in the finger grooves is common.......I am certain the manufacturer did not do all they could to ensure against corrosion, to reduce cost

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I would try making baking soda paste and using a toothbrush or something else with stiff non-metallic bristles to scrub the spots out.

It’s hard to tell from the picture as it’s not quite high enough resolution to see how deep those spots go. From the picture it looks like they may not completely disappear.

That also appears to be a bead blasted finish so I’d be careful with a magic eraser, I bet it could mar that finish.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    A ball of aluminum foil as a scouring pad with some water will take it off. Just be sure to dry thoroughly after and wipe on a light coat of clp or gun oil or your choice.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Stainless wool gives better performance.
    Small steel wool pieces / particles left in seams and corners can and will eventually rust adding to the problem.
    You don’t clean the area after doing this? Poor cleaning / storage procedure is what gets people in the rusted SS boat to begin with. I didn’t think it was needed to state that cleaning after the fact was needed. And the 0000 has worked better and easier for me in the past than the lead remover ever has at getting rid of rust. Our shop took in many neglected SS guns that got the 0000 treatment with excellent results. The area was cleaned and properly lubricated afterward, as all firearms should be.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You don’t clean the area after doing this? Poor cleaning / storage procedure is what gets people in the rusted SS boat to begin with. I didn’t think it was needed to state that cleaning after the fact was needed. And the 0000 has worked better and easier for me in the past than the lead remover ever has at getting rid of rust. Our shop took in many neglected SS guns that got the 0000 treatment with excellent results. The area was cleaned and properly lubricated afterward, as all firearms should be.
    Im not sure I would use any metal wool on a bead blasted finish.
    But i'll do me in my shop and you do you in yours. Deal?

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have used copper scouring pads, copper wool and even real copper penny to get rid of rust, i use a small amount of oil with it too never had a issue using copper, as to brass wool i don't know but i might try it on something really rusted someday?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've never found a stainless gun that I couldn't rust. Especially handguns, carried on the body. Some of us have a body chemistry that is more conducive to corrosion of metals.

I don't carry bead blasted stainless handguns anymore, but when I did, I would "hammer" the surface rust off with a stainless steel detail brush. Not brushing, but tapping with the ends of the bristles.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I use Ballistol with copper wool, eraser, and 600 grip paper in some instances. When doing work on old firearms you have to stop and remove the rust without removing the patina so it's a lot of light hand work. This Merwin cleaned up well without losing it's old look.

meringer.jpg merclean.jpg

brdhntr37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Don't rub off the finish, but I've had luck with a light application with a tube of flitz and a paper towel. Have used it on several guns

Top Bottom