What to do with old magazines (Books). Any interest?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I have 4 or 5 boxes of old magazines that have been stored and are in pretty good shape in general. They are mostly 90's era ATV books of assorted publishers and hunting books but also a year or two each of Running magazine, Mountain Biking and probably some other PG rated books. So, what does a guy do with these? I don't want to go through the process of selling these even if they were of value, and I don't want to paper drive them if someone has an interest or an idea of what to do with them. So INGO, ideas.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I had a HUGE box of firearm related (print) magazines that I no longer wanted. I put the box on one of my tables at the Indy 1500 with a sign that said $5.00 for the whole box. Some guy spent twenty minutes going through the box and proceeded to ask me how much for the five magazines he had picked out. I told him $5.00, and he incredulously said that was the price of the whole box. I told him he was correct, and could take the other magazines for free, or throw them away. He had the audacity to come up at the next show and say: “at the last show you really hurt my feelings for not selling me the magazines”. I figure he had been in therapy over that (probably in Bloomington) and his therapist told him to speak with me, lol

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Books I always donate to the library. Magazines, not sure if they would take those. Check with organizations that deal with handicapped kids/adults. Some of those agencies may take them.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Newer magazines - sometimes school libraries will take them and they can be utilized as cut-up fodder for projects. If they've got some age on them, though, chances are good they won't.

I used to save all my tech mags and car mags for my wife to take to her school's library, but don't any more. So much easier to put them in the recycle bin.

"school questionable" mags - schools probably won't take those. Like Guns & Ammo, Recoil, Field & Stream, etc etc....unfortunately.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have 4 or 5 boxes of old magazines that have been stored and are in pretty good shape in general. They are mostly 90's era ATV books of assorted publishers and hunting books but also a year or two each of Running magazine, Mountain Biking and probably some other PG rated books. So, what does a guy do with these? I don't want to go through the process of selling these even if they were of value, and I don't want to paper drive them if someone has an interest or an idea of what to do with them. So INGO, ideas.
    Get addresses of deployed military personnel and send them to them. Deployment is usually boring and very little entertainment. Even an old magazine would help fill that void. They tend to get passed around a lot also. They will get well used. Just an idea.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    You might want to edit thread title to reflect that you're talking about print magazines, and maybe even include some titles. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought this was about gun mags.
    You are correct. I even fell for it and it's my thread! Opened it up and started reading before I realized it. I've either had one too many or one too few cold ones tonight. Looks like more research needs done on that subject. I'm a borderline packrat so pitching something that may be of use to someone is REALLY hard for me to do. Thanks for the input so far.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Believe it or not there is a cottage industry of selling individual magazine ads on Ebay. They go for about 10 bucks (EDIT...plus shipping) framed (dollar tree frame).
    I'm going to go through my AR mags and look for SP 1 ads some rainy day.
    HKi, I wonder what the guy thought a fair price would be.
    Just to be different I would have paid him a dollar to take them.

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    I had a BUNCH (2 eight foot long shelves) of vintage model train and aviation magazines; I listed them for free on Craigslist "Aviation" and "Books" sections. Gone by the next morning

Top Bottom