• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsmysak1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Hey all, maybe this has happened to you.

I was in a store and a guy standing next to me pulls out his carry gun and sweeps me with it... quite unintentional of course. No question if it was loaded or not.

I paused for a second and was going to say something quite harsh, but I thought it would cause a scene in my friend's shop. I decided to say nothing that time.

We were discussing this over the weekend and I found out it happens often to most people. Wondering just what your responses might be..... I am sure there are some good stories here. Most of the time I have corrected people, they get extremely defensive because they are embarrassed.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    "Please don't point your firearm at my stomach." It'll raise their awareness without being confrontational or causing a scene.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Usually what Scutter says, accompanied by the Karate Kid "wax on /wax off" barrel avoidance move if they are super close.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We were in a gun store once when some goober decided he was going to start spinning his gun on his finger. This was a gun out of the case that he was considering purchasing and I guess he wanted to try out his "Doc Holliday" routine. When it finally fell off his finger and hit the floor, the guy behind the counter kicked him out.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    It would be irresponsieble but maybe a little mirror image would get his attention, "Sorry buddy I was just following your lead!".

J/K I agree with Scutter on this one, with a Clint Eastwood Glare "Do you feel lucky punk!" Or maybe a little high noon whistle, what though you wanted to quick draw me there fella!?!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Jump away, crouch behind cover and ask very loudly, "Is he still pointing it this way?"

Oh, I guess that still causes a scene.

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    Let them get defensive. I dont care. Guns arent for kids(and by kids I mean someone that gets hurt feelings quick when told their actions were wrong). If you are swept, tell them. They can get over what they think is an insult, but you cant get over being shot dead.

Even if it is unloaded, I cant stand being swept. And I dont care by who.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I would probably be analyzing his reaction to staring down the barrel of my G19... and then asked him how he liked it....

or at least that's what I say I would do ;)

In reality, I'd probably yell "HEY!!!"

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Hey all, maybe this has happened to you.

I was in a store and a guy standing next to me pulls out his carry gun and sweeps me with it... quite unintentional of course. No question if it was loaded or not.

I paused for a second and was going to say something quite harsh, but I thought it would cause a scene in my friend's shop. I decided to say nothing that time.

We were discussing this over the weekend and I found out it happens often to most people. Wondering just what your responses might be..... I am sure there are some good stories here. Most of the time I have corrected people, they get extremely defensive because they are embarrassed.

i would have told him he just broke rule number 1 in firearm safety. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR GUN POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION, at another person is not a safe direction loaded or not.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I would say.... apparently you arent very good with firearms.... they would get defensive and say how would i know that... i would say, well you cant even follow rule number one so how the heck can you shoot the thing.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    It has happened to most of us. I usually give the glare (after twenty years of military life, you learn to communicate with a look). If the idiot doesn't catch on, I will say politely "please don't point the gun at me." If that doesn't work, I get unpleasant and don't care how embarrassed he gets.

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    I would hope someone would tell me if I accidently did it so I would be more careful next time. "not that I am not careful"

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Let them get defensive. I dont care. Guns arent for kids(and by kids I mean someone that gets hurt feelings quick when told their actions were wrong). If you are swept, tell them. They can get over what they think is an insult, but you cant get over being shot dead.

Even if it is unloaded, I cant stand being swept. And I dont care by who.
    What he said! :lol2:
    My "favorite" gun-shop has a sign on the door that states, "NO LOADED WEAPONS". Most LTC holders ignore the sign, but most of them know better than to pull a carry piece in a gun shop.
    NO DOUBT I would have said SOMETHING!?!

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Heheheheeee...... I love where this is going. Some of you are so full of :poop:

"I'd jump in the air and do a full Kung-Fu spin and kick the gun out of his hand and then I'd put him in a head-lock until he squeeled like a pig"!!!! Yeah.......... :laugh: :lmfao::p

Last edited:

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I used to work at a gun store and I would say that I had got a good look down the bore while you had that pointed at my head and it needed cleaning. That would normally embarrass the **** out of them and it might even make them remember the next time. Happens a lot at gun shops. The Super Secret Squirrels are the worst. Them and the Mall Ninjas. Most likely all that Super Training that they are always blathering about. They are the reason normal people are treated badly some days. Sorry but, Mother Theresa would open up a sack full of MotherFers after a day of loud stupid gun wankers. Oops that was my inside voice. Nevermind

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It happens. I usually use body language such as ducking, dodging, etc. That is enough to do the job as most are being unthoughtful not intentional. Only once have I grabbed a barrel and that was of my own rifle that a guy wanted to look at. I handed it to him (a PSL none-the-less) and he immediately leveled it and put the scope's crosshairs on a customer's head 50 yards away. I immediately grabbed the barrel and asked him to try pointing at one of the animal heads up on the wall. "Some people might get concerned otherwise."

He agreed (but did not apologize) and was fine after that.

Sometimes people just get a moment of stupid and need a reminder. Now, some people get those moments back to back and they are the ones to watch out for...

Top Bottom