• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Well with the new hunting rules going into place, I no longer have a desire to build a 458 suppressor. Problem is that I already efiled and bought the parts for it. I can cancel the efile, but I still have the parts to build a 10" long suppressor. I want to file another form 1 to build something, but not sure what caliber to go with. I already have a 30 caliber AAC suppressor. Should I go with a 223/556?

DarrenL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    East-Central
    I'd say step #1 would be to remove your public admission of having the parts to build a suppressor without having an approved form 1.

Darren

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I'd say step #1 would be to remove your public admission of having the parts to build a suppressor without having an approved form 1.

Darren

Perfectly legal to have the parts. The baffles and end caps are not fully machined, there for it is not a suppressor.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well, here's a question for you: can you utilize your .458 SOCOM design, beef it up, and then just build yourself a 5.56 end cap, along with the big .46 caliber one? Then you can use it on both, though granted, I guess it will be very large.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Well, here's a question for you: can you utilize your .458 SOCOM design, beef it up, and then just build yourself a 5.56 end cap, along with the big .46 caliber one? Then you can use it on both, though granted, I guess it will be very large.

My understanding is that when it is all said and done, you cannot have swappable end caps like that. I think I am going to probably just go with a 5.56. The entire can is titanium, so it would just be length that I'm worried about. Might just sell the 10" tube and get a shorter one :)

I'm really just being indecisive...

DarrenL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    East-Central
    Perfectly legal to have the parts. The baffles and end caps are not fully machined, there for it is not a suppressor.

Fair enough, intent is enough of a gray area to scare me off from obtaining parts without the paperwork in place. I'd say Beowulf has a viable plan.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My understanding is that when it is all said and done, you cannot have swappable end caps like that. I think I am going to probably just go with a 5.56. The entire can is titanium, so it would just be length that I'm worried about. Might just sell the 10" tube and get a shorter one :)

I'm really just being indecisive...

Are you sure about that? I know that's true about baffles, but I thought end caps were treated like mounts, as in you can have as many as you want. I'm fairly certain there are several suppressors being marketed with additional end caps for just this purpose (though, those are usually 5.56 end caps for a .30 cal can).

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Are you sure about that? I know that's true about baffles, but I thought end caps were treated like mounts, as in you can have as many as you want. I'm fairly certain there are several suppressors being marketed with additional end caps for just this purpose (though, those are usually 5.56 end caps for a .30 cal can).

I have 45 cal cans with additional 9mm endcaps and a 308 can with 5.56 endcaps. These are from big manufacturers, so I don't see why a form 1 would be any different.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Commercial cans with different end caps are approved on an individual model basis. From what I understand, if the cap holds baffles in place, it cannot be swapped for another one. Stupid rule that I seriously doubt anyone has or would be penalized for, and if you don't broadcast the fact; how will anyone know?

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Commercial cans with different end caps are approved on an individual model basis. From what I understand, if the cap holds baffles in place, it cannot be swapped for another one. Stupid rule that I seriously doubt anyone has or would be penalized for, and if you don't broadcast the fact; how will anyone know?

I wouldn't be that hard to put a tack weld in the of the baffle stack to hold it in place. Hopefully I will decide today. I am really just leaning towards doing it as a 5.56. It will just turn my 18" barrel into a 28" o.O

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I wouldn't be that hard to put a tack weld in the of the baffle stack to hold it in place. Hopefully I will decide today. I am really just leaning towards doing it as a 5.56. It will just turn my 18" barrel into a 28" o.O

But it should be really, really quiet. :D

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side

Ive had the same thought.
    From what I've read, you can make a sippressor
    shorter than what's listed on the form 'for repairs' but not longer.

DarrenL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    East-Central
    Since when is it illegal to have parts?

I shouldn't get back into this, you can Google "nfa possession intent" and see where my concerns would be. The OP is obviously comfortable with the state of his parts and the law. For me, with a wife and two kids at home, I wouldn't even buy a tube without a stamp in-hand. The definition of "intent" scares me, when it is essentially up to the BATFE to determine what you intend to do with a stack of parts.

Darren

Last edited:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I shouldn't get back into this, you can Google "nfa possession intent" and see where my concerns would be. The OP is obviously comfortable with the state of his parts and the law. For me, with a wife and two kids at home, I wouldn't even buy a tube without a stamp in-hand. The definition of "intent" scares me, when it is essentially up to the BATFE to determine what you intend to do with a stack of parts.

Darren

What I have right now is essentially a solvent trap, which is completely legal. The ATF has said this many many times. The difference between a solvent trap and a suppressor is the baffle stack being machined and the end cap. Right now, there is no physical way to use it as a suppressor.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    What I have right now is essentially a solvent trap, which is completely legal. The ATF has said this many many times. The difference between a solvent trap and a suppressor is the baffle stack being machined and the end cap. Right now, there is no physical way to use it as a suppressor.

Plus having the tube or end cap engraved doesn't make it a suppressor.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Well my canceled form 1 came back this morning. Waiting for the 200$ refund and then I will file again. So any suggestions on caliber ? :). Still thinking 5.56 but willing to entertain more.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom