• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Carry what feels right to YOU in YOUR hands...
    Carry the size Pistol that YOU feel comfortable using...
    Carry a pistol with that YOU are accurate with...

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I carry either a Browning HiPower or a Beretta 92FS depending on my mood for the day.
    And yes, I conceal those without any difficulty.

There are a lot of good 9mm guns out there. Find one that fits your hands the way you like, get proficient with it, carry it and be happy.

My next will probably be a CZ-85B. I really wish they made that as a compact, but alas they don't.

Make sure you have your LTCH before carrying outside your own property. Don't even put a handgun in the trunk of your car to go to the range if you don't have your LTCH.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Choose and gun that fits your hand and train realistically with it. Dont worry too much about brand or other opinions just handle and shoots as many as possible. Being able to reach the controls is a must and once you choose a gun learn how it works insde and out. Shoot at least once a month live fire. Most handguns you can get an exact or very close match in co2 or airsoft to practice at home, some laugh at that but it helps alot. Last thing or first depending on your situation is cost. There is seriously nothing wrong with something like a Ruger P series or 1911 clone. Let us know what you choose.:)

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have a battery of guns that I carry including xdm, kahr cw9, a 1911, sp101, etc. depends on wear, where, and ware that I have on me.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Carry what feels right to YOU in YOUR hands...
    Carry the size Pistol that YOU feel comfortable using...
    Carry a pistol with that YOU are accurate with...

Ditto. You must carry something that you can shoot and something that is comfortable in my opinion. Otherwise, inevitably, you won't. Try a bunch of different weapons and go from there.

In my experience finding a good holster that works for you may be as hard if not harder than finding a carry weapon of choice.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Simple answer is, the best gun to carry is one that goes bang each and every time, one that you shoot well and carries a round that will get the job done when needed. As a side note, it must be a gun you will carry each and every time you leave your home, no matter where you go.

Which gun is that? Thats where you must make that decision through trial and error by testing and shooting alot.

No one gun is perfect for everybody. Good luck.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    As others have stated. The best thing you can do is get your mitts on some different handguns and find out which fit you the best. Once you have narrowed down the list to 3-5. Borrow or rent them to see which shoots the best for you. Purchase a holster and your firearm and then train.

As to which firearm is the best. There isn't. There also isn't a best caliber. Anything 9mm and up will do the job. As will the .380 but shot placement and skill are needed more so. So it's not the best caliber for a beginner. I suggest looking at any of the modern compact/subcompact polymer handguns. 9mm would be preferred so you can practice more.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Great advice from many on here so far, as usual. But remember, real men carry a .45 ;):):
    So do real women!

The largest weapon you can comfortably carry.
    I'd amend this to the largest caliber one can find in a firearm that one is comfortable with. Size of firearm frame can actually become a disadvantage, particularly those double-stack magazine models.

I have carried a G26 (9mm), a G21SF (.45acp), and a 1911--and there's always a .38 in the purse. I've carried others, but those are the ones that most commonly end up on the hip.

Those are the ones I'm comfortable with in terms of physical fit, operation, and ability to use. For one reason or another, other firearms are less desirable when compared to those 3.

It's a personal choice. Carry whatever you want, just as long as you carry.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    I like to carry my Kel Tec 380 during the summer when I'm in a t-shirt. Its easy to conceal and light. Yes it is a small caliber and does not have the stopping power of a .45 but hey it does go back every time and I can say I wouldn't want to be shot with it. If I'm wearing a jacket or don't really care if i conceal it I have a 1911 or a S&W 6906 double stack 9mm. Either way I prefer carrying the Kel Tec cause its light and easy to tot around all day.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I would suggest thinking about how you plan on carrying either IWB,OWB or pocket. Obviously it makes no sense to look at 45's if you are going to pocket carry :)

Top Bottom