• Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    E4C76AAA-75E7-4F7E-9A77-70721189D4A2.jpeg
    This is the current situation re: my honey hole for prespawn fishing at entrance of inlet channel. 1 year ago was 2-4’ deep in the area. While fishing started noticing at times a couple foot diameter circle on bottom would suddenly be a swirl of muddy water. A lot of turtles including large snappers and I chalked it up to a big snapper on bottom burrowing in. Seemed out of norm but couldn’t come up with any other idea. 3/4 of this channel has been “filling in “ much faster than norm last couple years but remained “normal” at the inlet. A couple months later began to notice as I walked by or rode by on mower the area appeared to have a couple “islands” forming. By late summer/early fall this end of channel was about “full” with an island plainly visible from road driving by. During leaf pickup late fall the island had sort of disappeared. Last time I rode by picking up leaves the island was gone and there appeared to be a hole about the size of a barrel or large trash container in the channel bottom where the island had been. I walked back to the spot a week later, no hole…just flat bottom but water shallow. Over winter the island has reappeared to its current size and the entire channel is only a few inches deep.

This is an area where soil transitions between sand/gravel, marl, muck. I am aware how muck areas will “equalize”...muck will rise in low areas ( drainage ditch bottoms, etc ) to equalize pressure and push up from bottom. However I have never observed such an area rise, fall, rise, fall, etc. The only thing I can figure out is the is a “shaft” ( for lack of a better term ) from subsurface to surface and some how the muck transitions back and forth. I would have never believed it possible before. Anyone smarter than me have an explanation ?

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    For lack of a better explanation, I think there is some type of gas building up in the muck and causing a bubble that raises the muck until it releases and the muck sinks back down. We all know how sneaky gasses can be so there it is.
    That makes some amount of sense ( potentially ). Small streams of bubbles rise from gas release normally if you watch but on a very small scale. I never have seen anything like this before. Plus it pi**es me off cause ain’t gonna be much fishin’ there again. Doubt that channel will be dredged again in my remaining years here.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    That makes some amount of sense ( potentially ). Small streams of bubbles rise from gas release normally if you watch but on a very small scale. I never have seen anything like this before. Plus it pi**es me off cause ain’t gonna be much fishin’ there again. Doubt that channel will be dredged again in my remaining years here.
    If gases, most likely methane from old decaying materials. Stick a long piece of pvc in the middle and lite a match and see if it tries to lite. Would kinda be like what the landfills do to burn it off. I would think you could smell it in that area. Interesting none the less.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    If gases, most likely methane from old decaying materials. Stick a long piece of pvc in the middle and lite a match and see if it tries to lite. Would kinda be like what the landfills do to burn it off. I would think you could smell it in that area. Interesting none the less.
    By definition muck is plant/organic matter decomposed past the point of identifying plant parts. Knew gas was given off but never heard of this. I have Always lived on heavy clay or sand/gravel farms. Muck was in area but not local/personal.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    By definition muck is plant/organic matter decomposed past the point of identifying plant parts. Knew gas was given off but never heard of this. I have Always lived on heavy clay or sand/gravel farms. Muck was in area but not local/personal.
    Guess next time you go wadding, you'll keep clear of dark spots near the bottom..can't have you disappear into a black hole

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Guess next time you go wadding, you'll keep clear of dark spots near the bottom..can't have you disappear into a black hole
    No you don’t wade in this channel. Where it is 1 ft of muck on a hard marl bottom…that’s 1 thing. Couple steps later you may not have a reachable bottom. I have seen kids “stuck”. 300-400 ft west along the shore neighbor wanted to build a new shop building with a foundation, not a pole barn. Changed mind after going 9’ to solid soil and being several feet below water table. My house is on driven pilings.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    For lack of a better explanation, I think there is some type of gas building up in the muck and causing a bubble that raises the muck until it releases and the muck sinks back down. We all know how sneaky gasses can be so there it is.
    Had beans a couple nights ago…how right you are…

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    That’s wild.
    I’ve heard of underground rivers, and know they come to the surface in places.
    Could this be an area where the water table moves, vertically and horizontally?

Could it be something like the sinkholes that can be seen in southern indiana?

Top Bottom