• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I've seen several threads (on several forums plus bookface) about leverguns here of late, all centered around modernizing them for "defensive" or "tactical" use.

I love lever guns.
    Like all red blooded American boys, I grew up watching westerns. I wanted to be the "good guy" who would grow up to go get the "bad guy".
    Still, I think a levergun has no role (zero) in tactical use.
    Just my honest opinion. I've been to war. Sorry, (not sorry) I want my AR.

Now defensive use... that's a different story altogether.
    Here were talking the old "good guy V bad guy" type deal.
    If the role of the weapon is to protect yourself and you family from criminals in a home defense role... now we're talking about an application where the good old cowboy gun can still work... and work well.
    If you don't like ARs and AKs... or if you live in a less free state... if you travel to those leftie run hell-holes... or if you just don't ever want a lawyer to hold up an AR in open court... a levergun will suffice.

So... let's talk about what MAKES a good "defensive" levergun.
    Opinions, and insights welcome... just don't be an ass about it.

IMHO first consideration is caliber.

You need something powerful enough to stop a threat, but maybe not so almighty as to instantly vaporize everything in front of them for 200 yds. Face it... the 45/70 is an OFFENSIVE round).
    The two that shine above all others today are the .357 & .44 Magnums. These are in potent handgun calibers. They really smoke out of a carbine barrel, gaining quite a bit of velocity. Sure, a hunting round like 30-30 or 45/70, are more powerful, but being so also means they're designed for game. Sometimes LARGE game. Real good chance (damn near sure thing) they'll zip right through your average bad guy at defensive ranges.
    That's what were talking about here for a "defensive" weapon.... Shooting at bad guys. (in other words, people) If you have to protect yourself from a criminal... it's not all that likely to happen on an empty mountain somewhere. It will be at home. (where ever that may be)
    As said, the .357 & .44 Magnums are both potent handgun calibers, and they both gain velocity when fired through a carbine length barrel. The bullets, designed for handguns, (not talking hard cast hunting loads) will expand violently, at these higher speeds dumping ALL their increased energy INTO the target. This rapid expansion most often also limits penetration to around 14 to 16 inches or so making the chances of shooting through so many walls quite a bit less. That expansion, however, creates devastating wound channels. And yeah, you can still hunt deer sized game with them. (Though I wouldn't try it at 3oo yds)

Another consideration is ammo capacity. (you can never have too much right?) First thing... a levergun isn't even in the same ballpark as an AR. You don't get 30 rounds per mag, with very quick mag changes.
    Not only that, but the longer, more hunting oriented rounds like 30-30 & 45/70 vastly limit your already small magazine capacity.
    Capacity that is not only already limited, but that requires a lot more training to get fast with on reloading... than does an AR.
    Again, the magnum handgun rounds for the win with more rounds in the gun.

Sights.

Ok, here again, us being levergun fans (or people living is less free states) are starting off behind the curve right outta the gate. Being a very old design, typical levergun iron sights leave a lot to be desired. If you don't want to add an optic, at least consider upgrading to a set of quality peep sights from one of the aftermarket companies now making products for our rifles.

Red dots. Being the author of this particular thread, and a combat veteran who somehow (by the grace of God) survived multiple combat tours (the last one getting pretty sporty at times) I'm just gonna come out and say it...
    GET A RED DOT.

OK, sure, if your rifle is for multiple use, a LPVO may be a better choice. You can see the target better at range, and still have 1x (plus an illuminated reticule in most cases) for close in defensive duty. Thing is, a LPVO is still a "scope". That means it will still have "scope shadow" if you mount the gun wrong because your live is on the line, and you might just be freaking out a bit and rushing things. Or maybe you're hiding behind cover firing from some awkward shooting position, and can't get your head just right behind the scope. The eyebox on a scope will NEVER be as forgiving as that of a red dot. The newer ones are good, and theire getting better all the time, but there is still NOTHING... that is faster at target acquisition, than a red dot.
    If it's a "defensive" rifle... get a red dot for it.

Weapon mounted light.

Lots of pros & cons people talk (argue) about when it comes to having a weapon mounted light on a handgun... but for a rifle...
    Just put a light on it.
    Takes both hands to shoot most rifles, (that is how they're designed after all) and it takes the both to run a levergun action, unless you dismount the gun between shots. Hand held lights just aren't gonna work here. Oh, and yes... you do need a light. Bad guys tend to like night time, or dark places. Besides, the planet is spinning so it's dark half the time anyhow.

On gun ammo.

Magazine capacity is, as we've said, limited. Even with the shorted handgun rounds, you may be starting out with 9 or 10 rounds loaded... Now, for most defensive shootings, that's plenty.
    Plenty unless there's multiple attackers perhaps...
    Plenty unless & until you start missing the bad guys...
    Good chance you will too. Especially when you're scared, mad, or both, and maybe you just got woke up at 3am to boot.
    I've got multiple war deployments behind me, and can attest to the fact that I missed... a lot more than I hit.
    Have a way to store some extra rounds on the gun be it an old school leather ammo cuff, one of the new styles (and ugly as sin) buttstocks, or what I did, just put the velcro ammo cards on them like you see on shotguns. These can be ordered in pistol calibers as well. 1o in the gun, 10 more on the stock makes for 20 rounds available just grab and go. If I have time to grab an extra ammo card, that's 10 more I can slap on when these are gone.

Here's my pick. (that I pray I never have to use)
    A Chiappa 1892 takedown in .44 Magnum. (I also have a Rossi 92 in .357 Mag, but I like this one better.
    First, it's a .44 Mag.
    Secondly, it's a takedown, so it can go in a bag with me, hidden away from prying eyes to a hotel room when traveling.

2 on log.JPG

Discuss...
    I mean it... Let's discuss.
    I'm no certified expert. (though the wife may think I'm "certifiable" at times)
    I don't work for Hornady or Chiappa.
    Just throwing my thoughts and what I've learned out there.

Oh, and I meant to say discuss or GTFO... LOL.
    If you don't feel a levergun makes a good defensive weapon... this is not the thread for you.
    (that's what I meant by "don't be an ass about it" back at the top)
    I hate it when people poop on a thread.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Ammo is a concern for me. I have seen the Hornady .44 mag Leverrevolution on deer in close quarters and if you don't hit bone (like a shounder or spine) it flys right through unopened and doing damage as it goes. Sure, through and throughs are expected with the .44 but when it comes out the other side still carrying the mail you might hurt someone you didn't want to. JMHO.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If I have to have a handgun caliber, I opt for the Rossi R92 in .454 Casull.
    I can shoot
    45Colt from bunny-fart cowboy loads all the way up to nuclear fusion power.

If I get to pick a rifle round, the .35Remington all the way.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    For a self defense firearm I personally do not like manual action guns like a pump , lever or bolt myself. Too many opportunities for the reload to go sideways during the most stressful situation of your life.

Now for people in ban states yes a lever gun can make a good option, but I would argue M1 Carbine at that point.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Ammo is a concern for me. I have seen the Hornady .44 mag Leverrevolution on deer in close quarters and if you don't hit bone (like a shounder or spine) it flys right through unopened and doing damage as it goes. Sure, through and throughs are expected with the .44 but when it comes out the other side still carrying the mail you might hurt someone you didn't want to. JMHO.
    That's disappointing to hear. Probably not the best round to pick for close in defensive work if you're worried about going through things. Then again, from what I understood, those rounds were designed to extend the range, maybe help with accuracy a bit, but the ballistic tips were still "supposed" still cause the round to expand. They did in many of the ballistic gel tests I've seen videos of, and they were done close range.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    For a self defense firearm I personally do not like manual action guns like a pump , lever or bolt myself. Too many opportunities for the reload to go sideways during the most stressful situation of your life.

Now for people in ban states yes a lever gun can make a good option, but I would argue M1 Carbine at that point.

The M1 Carbine is a fine choice, given the right ammo selection.

As far as any "manual" action like a lever bolt, or pump goes... ANY machine made by man can malfunction, and yeah, here the operator's training level does effect the outcome. (help or hinder) And yeah, a situation like that is damn stressful, so if you're not into heavy training... sure.

Then again, it's not like nobody's has ever had feeding, firing, or ejecting issues with a (ANY) semi-auto weapon before either.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    We travel in a 5th wheel a fair amount, through some anti-2A states & a lever gun is at the top of the list to be 48 state legal. Still looking for one in "truck gun" condition for this purpose, I have a couple of JM Marlins in .357 & .44 but looking for something less costly with larger magazine capacity.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I love your write up. I have the henry x and its definitely becoming a go to rifle. Wouldn't hesitate to use it as a defensive rifle. I need a red dot for it though as it would make it that much handier

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Good write up, and you make some valid points. I'm a levergun afficionado, and have a nice collection in a wide variety of calibers...given the choices though, for defensive use I still want my AR.

I prefer a semi-automatic for tense situations, especially because it's easy to short-stroke a lever-action especially if you're working from a less than ideal stance or position.

The point Mongo made about over-penetration rings true, too. Yes, .44 and .357 are handgun calibers, but they're potent magnum cartridges, and receive an added boost from the longer barrels of a carbine. You're going to get pass-through with either of these calibers, unless the bad guy is absolutely massive. Now for a woods defense gun, I'm good with it, but in a residential environment you're going to have less to worry about with .223.

One point in favor of the lever-action is the low sight-to-bore offset. At close defensive ranges, you don't have to worry about holdover anywhere near as much as you would with an AR, and this minimizes the chance of putting rounds into walls or other pieces of cover that you are likey to be working around.

The levergun is also a lighter and handier platform than an AR. That's probably the main reason I keep buying them.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Although I am more of a fan of 30-30 for hunting, if I HAD to go defensive lever I would chose .357.

Light, versatile, and capable of taking most any game or otherwise sized creature in this State. Ammo is plentiful (in magnum or .38 varieties),and can be paired nicely with a myriad of handguns. This keeps logistics tight in an already less than ideal encounter. A shell carrier/bandolier will keep you in business for some time. I have taken my largest buck to date with an R92 20" octagon.

On to sights. I have used buckhorn, peep, scopes, RMR, and other dots on several different levers and by far my favorite is the Romeo 5. This is my current setup on a Marlin 30-30 for whitetail. It is an absolute pleasure to hunt with and shoot.

I will close by saying that I do NOT at all like the tactical/operator look on these rifles. An mlok rail on a lever makes me want to puke. Flashlight/peq/bipod/etc be ******. Iron and wood like grandaddy intended. I'll Allow saddle rings and large loops.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Have taken underlevers to a few classes. They always turn to mush during the class.

Lever guns are cool to be sure and MAY have utility if a maker fixes the reliability problem.

Agreed. IME, an initial and subsequent few follow up shots are all she's good for. The ideal that they can be effective as an MSR is just ludicrous. We make technical advances for reasons.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Agreed. IME, an initial and subsequent few follow up shots are all she's good for. The ideal that they can be effective as an MSR is just ludicrous. We make technical advances for reasons.
    They last at least a day at carbine class. I used them as my training partner was from Chicago and, at the time, could not have a pistol so he used Marlin .357s because they were American and cool. We each brought 2. Between us we had 1 functioning weapon each time.

People use them to look "cool" and be special snowflakes at the range. While the Gun Shoppe Commandos at the gun stores tout them as an AYN solution, the problem is that the guns are snowflakes and melt easily.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    If over penetration is your concern, choose a lighter bullet. A 180 or 200 grain 44 hollow point is going to penetrate far less than a 240 or 300. Same for .357. Use a 110 or 125 instead the 158. There is a bullet designed for every application.
    Double taps are stupid easy with a lever. Practice it a bit and see.
    I like a good red Dot sight but I stick with my open sights. More specifically, the front sight. Put that just below where you want the hole.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    They last at least a day at carbine class. I used them as my training partner was from Chicago and, at the time, could not have a pistol so he used Marlin .357s because they were American and cool. We each brought 2. Between us we had 1 functioning weapon each time.

People use them to look "cool" and be special snowflakes at the range. While the Gun Shoppe Commandos at the gun stores tout them as an AYN solution, the problem is that the guns are snowflakes and melt easily.

This is a good point. I've never tried to take a levergun through a class, but I can definitely see reliability being an issue. I love my 1894s, but they can be finicky with feeding, and are very particular about ammo selection (specifically bullet profile). Also, "Marlin Jam" can be a catastrophic issue if your lifter is out of spec at all.

Curious, what specific issues did you end up having with your guns during those classes, and what models were they?

Top Bottom