What knife do you prefer for field dressing a deer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The only knife I have used for deer is a Wyoming knife. It uses replaceable blades that have a curved exposed edge a little over an inch long and a straight edge that is in a gut hook portion. I can normally get 5 deer out of a blade. I used to just toss them after that, but have started just touching them up with my broadhead sharpener.

dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    I forgot a long bladed knife today. My Wyoming knife and a hatchet worked great. I may forget my other knives next time, too.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I have a Cutco, hunter orange handle drop point knife that works great. I also have a set of the Buck Knife Pac Lite knives, that are extremely sharp, and work great. No butt-out tool here. I just use my hunting knife and ream the anus of the deer, which frees the muscle from the outside. Make a shallow cut off the sternum, split to the pelvis, cut through the ribs and up the throat. Cut the windpipe, cut out the diaphragm, cut the connective tissue holding the internal organs in place, do a little cutting from the inside to finish freeing the muscle from the inside, and everything pulls out without ever needing to split the pelvic bone.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    I have a Cutco, hunter orange handle drop point knife that works great. I also have a set of the Buck Knife Pac Lite knives, that are extremely sharp, and work great. No butt-out tool here. I just use my hunting knife and ream the anus of the deer, which frees the muscle from the outside. Make a shallow cut off the sternum, split to the pelvis, cut through the ribs and up the throat. Cut the windpipe, cut out the diaphragm, cut the connective tissue holding the internal organs in place, do a little cutting from the inside to finish freeing the muscle from the inside, and everything pulls out without ever needing to split the pelvic bone.

I use about the same method when field dressing, and it is the way my father-in-law showed me. I use a Case hunting knife ( http://www.wrcase.com/knives/images/17911.jpg ), and the long narrow blade works well for this method.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Randall Model 25 for everything (gutting, skinning and butchering) but splitting the pelvis bone. I use a hatchet for that.

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I always just use my old case trapper pocket knife. Small and sharp. The key is always keeping your knife sharp. It just makes everything so much easier.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm not an expert on knives, but when it comes to dressing a deer, I know this much, the sharper the better.

Yep
    It reminds me of when I was a kid and I met another kid down the road who had just received his first ever pocket knife, a cheap Barlow, as I recall.
    His dad had deliberately dulled up the blade because he believed that his boy would be less likely to hurt himself with it.
    At the time, my dad just told me that was nonsense, because you're far more likely to cut yourself with a dull knife while using it for its intended purpose than with a sharp one.
    The reason for that should be obvious.

ars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    Zionsville
    I have had and used all sorts of knives for field dressing deer. I find the classic folding buck knife to be the best all around for this task based on size and performance.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Many years ago a fellow I worked with who was not all that bright brings to work this big 7" folder. Hands it to me and tells me I can have it . "It's a cheap knife " he says , "the old lady gave it to me for Christmas, hell I never even heard of it ". I opened it and he had sharpened it on a bench grinder. But the first thing I saw on a blade was "Tree Brand". My first thought was that he did not deserve anything this nice and and I said "Thank You". I spent and hour shaping it back up and then sharpened it . The thing has sterling silver bolsters and genuine red stag slabs. At that time Boker still listed it on their website for $80. I've dressed a lot of deer with that knife. It's the one thing I always double check to make sure it's in my bag.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Many years ago a fellow I worked with who was not all that bright brings to work this big 7" folder. Hands it to me and tells me I can have it . "It's a cheap knife " he says , "the old lady gave it to me for Christmas, hell I never even heard of it ". I opened it and he had sharpened it on a bench grinder. But the first thing I saw on a blade was "Tree Brand". My first thought was that he did not deserve anything this nice and and I said "Thank You". I spent and hour shaping it back up and then sharpened it . The thing has sterling silver bolsters and genuine red stag slabs. At that time Boker still listed it on their website for $80. I've dressed a lot of deer with that knife. It's the one thing I always double check to make sure it's in my bag.

Youre right, he didn't deserve that knife. Or probably the woman thoughtful enough to give it to him.

Top Bottom