What is your definition of a SHTF vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    South West Indy
    60's vehicle the most simple truck that you can get. Have a way to run either gas or propane. propane has a very long term shelf life. extra fuel filters,points and plugs.I would not worry about extra oil filters to much since you wont be driving much.

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    this is the best vehicle you can get for shtf it is simple and crude, carbed v8, always 4 wheel drive, can take the whole truck apart with the supplied tool roll. can start it with the hand crank option. there is a reason this is the first vehicle ever seen by 70% of the worlds population

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    A bicycle.
    never runs out of gas, can be silent and stealthy, and has a basket for storage.
    I might also and pegs one the back for a support gunner. It's hard to ride and shoot at the same time.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    my priorities are 4x4, minimal electronics (needs to be carbed and solid state ignition), have enough space to fit the number peopel you have as well as a week worth of supplies minimum. yes the best mph you can get the better but don't count on it.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    pacer.jpg

Baja100055chevy.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    5uiff8.jpg

My M1009.6.2 diesel with mechanical IP pump and fuel pump.22mpg.It will run on many fuels.I have tried used motor oil(filtered to 5 microns),hydrolic fluid,and kerosene all work well.The cost to get one is minimal,but it will need work.I have done universals,all lubricants,transmission,alternators,plenty of electrical,tires,harmonic balancer,glow plugs,fuel filters,wheel bearing,hubs,power steering pump,sound proofing,carpet,a 5700 watt inverter mounted over a rear wheel well,radio,re-keyed(they all have the same keys),and the winch(hitch type mount usable on the front or back).It is now what I would consider reliable,and I have driven it on 1200 mile trips multiple times.In a pinch it can serve as a truck(remove the top).I also have a civilian 1985 K5 blazer that is diesel(less than 3% where),the ip pump is not capable of the same performance of the military IP pump.There is one place on earth that can properly rebuild the military IP pump,and they are almost out of the parts.When they are gone all M1009s needing a new IP pump will have to switch to the same one the civilian model uses,from what I understand the main difference is the ability to run JP8(jet fuel/kerosene).

Thanks goes out to INGO member Rocket for all the help with the "bear" and "Wampa'.
    200se9x.jpg

Last edited:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    so its called "this vehicle" ..where can i order one?
    this is the best vehicle you can get for shtf it is simple and crude, carbed v8, always 4 wheel drive, can take the whole truck apart with the supplied tool roll. can start it with the hand crank option. there is a reason this is the first vehicle ever seen by 70% of the worlds population

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    this is the best vehicle you can get for shtf it is simple and crude, carbed v8...
    BTW, the Rover V8 was originally a Buick engine.

Buick came out with a 215 cu. in. aluminum block V8 engine in the 1961 model year. It was used through the 1963 model year when Buick cancelled the engine because it was expensive to produce and had some nagging issues. GM sold the tooling for the engine to Rover in 1965. The engine has appeared in Rovers, Triumphs, TVRs, Morgans, and MG even stuffed them into the MGB-GT body for a short time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    BTW, the Rover V8 was originally a Buick engine.

Buick came out with a 215 cu. in. aluminum block V8 engine in the 1961 model year. It was used through the 1963 model year when Buick cancelled the engine because it was expensive to produce and had some nagging issues. GM sold the tooling for the engine to Rover in 1965. The engine has appeared in Rovers, Triumphs, TVRs, Morgans, and MG even stuffed them into the MGB-GT body for a short time.

The brits got that turd to hold its water and keep the spark plugs in their holes. I have seen more than a few of these with those issues.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I just saw pics of the late Ron Hood's SHTF off road E350 van...... Holy crap is that thing beautiful. I may have to build something like that. It's a 1996 diesel. Not a top dollar starting point for one heck of a project.

Here is a pic of it:

24775_377546598340_3635259_n.jpg

Inside of it he has a bed, stove, bathroom, and a gun safe in it. I like the idea of a lockable gun safe inside the vehicle.

Best recommendation yet. I am currently gathering parts to convert my 05 E350 6.0 PSD to 4 wheel drive. The last thing I need is a Dana 60 from a 99-03 F350.

ZombiePanda

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    “There is a world, just beyond now, where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility; where the laws of the present collide with the crimes of tomorrow. Patrolling these vast outlands is a new breed of lawman, guarding the fringes of society’s frontiers, they are known simply as ‘Highwaymen’... and this is their story...”

This truck...

798.jpg

...combined with this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RSu9Gw61U) as your survival expert/adviser (I mean, c'mon. This dude was the Energizer Bunny before the Energizer Bunny was even invented. He'd totally rock post-SHTF!).

More on the uber-truck here (The Petrol Stop: The Highwayman Truck).

Truckicopter ftw.

Vegemite not included

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    4x4, pickup ...cap with carrier ..at least 4 spares...heavy duty front bumper &brush guard ..towing a big v Hull aluminum boat...full of gas cans (or diesel) and an out board.
    Keep the fuel tank topped off as much as possible ..in case you lose your boat...
    You can haul most of your needs in the truck and extras in the boat..if you run out of road you may be able to boat it a ways. Just an idea..or substitute a small trailer, just be careful how you haul extra fuel.

Top Bottom