• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I get calls almost every day from all over the country, Texas, California, Utah, Pennsylvania, Florida, Tennessee, etc. etc.
    The only times I have ever answered, it was someone speaking in Spanish real fast, one short sentence and then hung up but mostly no one is there and it hangs up.
    Is it the NSA, CIA, FBI or what?

I've learned to not answer until I look to see where it is coming from and then I just turn it off.

What gives?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Their cost per call is extremely low, the percentage of suckers is low, yet the payoff when they do find a sucker is enough that it makes it lucrative.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The same happens to me.

I presume that they're spoofing the numbers - and that the actual owners of said numbers have no idea it's happening.

This is despite my being on both the national and Indiana no-call-lists.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    The do not call lists are like a lock on a soft gun case. It only keeps the honest businesses from marketing you. The robo calls are scams using mostly spoofed numbers.

I was getting at least 5 or 6 everyday. I finally got sick of it and changed the setting in my phone. It now rejects every call unless the number is in my phonebook. I told family & friends what I did and changed my voicemail. It now says "All calls are now screened thanks to ***holes and robo calls. Leave a message and wait."

This one feature (well that and the weather alert/app) is the only thing keeping me from going back to a flip phone.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I get them on my landline and cell. Hubby's cell is just a couple digits off from mine so his usually goes off right after mine does.

I just ignore them and if it is someone who wants to talk to me, they will leave a message so I can call them back.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I no longer answer any un-recognized numbers. All phones are set to ring a certain way for anyone on my contact list, the other ring is ignored. If they are legit, they will leave a message.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    Ive been getting them for a while now. My phone (galaxy s7) has a setting that tells if its been reported as a scam. Got one that was reported as extortion. I just dont answer them. I get txt msg a few times a month. Thoes i report as scams.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I answered the phone once to an obvious spam caller "Hancock Country Sheriffs Office"...it quickly disconnected and did not get another call from that number.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Knowing so many Ingo people my number gets around. If it is not an indiana based number (812/765/317/etc) I will not answer it. It can be ignored with a simple button manipulation.
    Anyone I know personally is in my ID list.
    If it is for real I have a voice mail.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Try this, it works. If someone calls you and they use number spoofing the phone only rings once and then nomorobo intercepts it. Normal calls that don't use number spoofing go through unmolested. You do have to set it up with your phone carrier, but virtually all of them support this service.

https://www.nomorobo.com/

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I have noticed lately that Rachel from card services and her girl friends are doing a lot of traveling.
    Rachel has such a nice voice, I bet she is really pretty. I wish her boss would buy her a better headset.

ME hello
    RACHEL ...
    ME hello?
    RACHEL ...
    RACHEL oh sorry, my headset was not working...
    ME hang up

My cell is a work phone so I am stuck answering unknown numbers somewhat politely.

Top Bottom