• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I call it confidence.

:):
    I appreciate everything you are saying but telling someone they are prone to do something "stupid" borders on a personal attack. That doesn't advance the cause of getting anyone more comfortable.. I too have decades of experience carrying a firearm daily and everything you say is accurate, just saying a little softer approach is more likely to persuade those that are on the fence because they don't have decades of experience.

BigNyaKelly

Coffee Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2023
    Worcester
    I was thinking about this as not everyone has $800-2500 to put on a self-defense handgun.

This can be a good source of information for those seeking a reliable inexpensive self-defense handgun.

So what handgun do you personally have experience with that is reliable, and have had no malfunctions with at least 500rds fired including self-defense ammunition.

Post your experiences with the above criteria.

Make and model of firearm.

How many rounds of ammunition including self-defense ammunition you have fired without any malfunctions.

Ammo wise include the brand, weight of bullet, and type of bullet you used.
    Example:
    Federal 124gr FMJ
    Federal 124gr HST

Do you recommend it as an under $400 reliable self-defense handgun?
    I love a PSA dagger or one of the smaller glocks. Those are good options.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Glocker99

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    Westfield
    Used Glocks can easily be found for under $400 and if you are worried that it has been messed with, replace all the cheap parts with factory parts and it should be good to go.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Cannot vouch, I don't own one, G3C for "budget" self defense and IMO, they got the size right for compact equals concealed carry.
    Well, now I have one because GrabAGun has a really good price ($255/$270 for TORO) plus a $30 mfr rebate off of that (and they sent me a $20 come back promo code). :)

I basically got the TORO version for $220 plus shipping, tax and transfer... just could pass it up.

About 90 rounds in, noticed the front sight was loose... :( ... appears they missed the locktite at the factory. Others have reported "gallons" of locktite when wanting to swap sights. So, I''d say check the front sight with a 2 mm allen first thing.

Other than that, fed and fired flawlessly, though less than 100 rounds, so not a lot. Grips and points great for me! Ate the heart of the A-zone out at 7 yds double tap and failure drills.

Jeffforpresident

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Nov 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Go to Marksmen Shooting Sports in Westfield. Not sure where you at OP but it would be worth an hours drive. The place is awesome and you could get a newer Glock or M and P there for 400$ no problem. I just bought a M and P 3.6 there for 300 bucks a few weeks ago. Great guys too.

Finelinedefense

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2023
    Fountaintown IN
    I was thinking about this as not everyone has $800-2500 to put on a self-defense handgun.

This can be a good source of information for those seeking a reliable inexpensive self-defense handgun.

So what handgun do you personally have experience with that is reliable, and have had no malfunctions with at least 500rds fired including self-defense ammunition.

Post your experiences with the above criteria.

Make and model of firearm.

How many rounds of ammunition including self-defense ammunition you have fired without any malfunctions.

Ammo wise include the brand, weight of bullet, and type of bullet you used.
    Example:
    Federal 124gr FMJ
    Federal 124gr HST

Do you recommend it as an under $400 reliable self-defense handgun?
    This post is a little old and I haven’t even said hello here yet but I LOVE affordable carry guns and the idea of breaking down the stigma of carrying inexpensive firearms.

I carried a Taurus 738 micro size .380 semi auto for over 10 years until I finally got tired of paying for .380

The gun has never failed to fire/extract. It has a slide stop that isn’t totally reliable at LRHO but I’m a lefty so I don’t train with a slide stop anyway I always just rack it. I recommend training to rack the pistol anyway as slide stops are very inconsistent.

I originally purchased the gun to tuck under business clothes and between the Taurus and the Ruger LCP that was hot at the time the Taurus had a much better trigger.

Today you can buy a Taurus GX4 for about half what a Sig 365 costs. A lot of the problems with the GX4 were also problems Sig had at the beginning… and has largely resolved.

If you’re putting in a reasonable amount of practice with a new carry gun you’ll know if it’s reliable. If your gun shoots well and runs reliably don’t listen to the haters.

You need 500-1000 rounds through a gun to carry effectively anyway, you’ll know how it runs by then. Give the cheap gun a shot.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

$318
    FS

1698177615227.png

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

$308
    $20 Shipping
    NST

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    i gotta say for the mechanically inclined, for the money you can't beat a brownells/PSA glock slide on a p80 frame

The polymer on a p80 is better then on a stock glock and you can get more premium/custom features then on a used/custom glock (like optics cut/ready slides, better sights, threaded barrels)

Two of my friends built custom glocks and they worked great.

One a glock 43 that had a compensator and the grip was actually 3d printed with trijicon night sights for about $350. For my friend who is 5'8 and 125 pounds that gun disappeared in a shoulder holster and was carried for years in NPE environments

Another guy got a g20 slide in 10mm, put it on a large frame p80 grip, milled it out himself, and chopped the grip to glock 26 length. Was just at $400 for a gun that glock doesn't make. The guy has appendix carried that gun for about 3 years religiously and has fired 800 rounds of full power 10mm and has not had a malfunction.

When I was editor for a online magazine in 2021 me and my writers in a week built literally the cheapest glock we could with random ebay parts with an unfinished in the white slide that was literally a rectangle with a front and rear sight we 3d printed. The gun shot 99/100 of cheap russian steel case 9mm(the one malfunction was a FTF due to a stiff primer) and went 200/200 with brass case FMJ. That gun cost maybe $200.

Really with the modern home built guns for not so much money you can basically get a reliable glock style pistol in just about any configuration or caliber you could want.

and as someone who regularly carries revolvers, I'm really sad to say it seems that they're just not good cheap options anymore.

Even Taurus guns are north of $300 and even the humble smith and wesson J frame is in new glock territory and the finish and MIM small parts leave much to be desired.

Really it just seems like revolvers are going the way of the 1911 which is kind of sad

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    This is one of the best deals I've ever seen on a full size M&P 2.0. Since these are unissued LE buybacks, they are brand new and come with 3 mags like LE guns usually do. As a bonus, these M&Ps are red dot ready and have tall co-witness sights!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This is one of the best deals I've ever seen on a full size M&P 2.0. Since these are unissued LE buybacks, they are brand new and come with 3 mags like LE guns usually do. As a bonus, these M&Ps are red dot ready and have tall co-witness sights!

That's weird, I thought all of the optic ready ones had the new flat face trigger with the dongle.

Top Bottom