What is the fair value for a used handgun??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hcsdstan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    I generally check kbb of gun values against what gunbroker is curently selling for. Value is a relative term depending on how badly someone wants the gun or how many are available. Extra goodies with the gun are usually a pluswith private party. Gunshops dont usually care about holsters and such that you have.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    A rule of thumb similar to what the others were say is as follows:

For in production gun in nice condition, my first pass is 80% or 85% of current "street price" for a new gun (this is what you find the gun for if you shop around). Hard to go over this as if the store is buying they would just order a new gun and many private people have friends that can order a gun for 10% over cost (this is less common than many years ago when everyone was a FFL ;-).

For a gun that is not in demand, a little more used, selling to a dealer than want's to make a living / profit etc, then one probably should figure 80% to 85% of the initial 80% to 85% or possible two thirds on a good day.

For guns that are moving slow, times are hard, well worn guns, if you wish cash from the dealer etc., one can easily end up below half.

Also check the prices on the closed auction on Gunbroker, if only to get a base line and make sure on older guns that they are not now "collectable".

Lastly a lot to be said for only buying used guns if you are going to sell them later ....

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    One local shop said they will only offer 65% of their cost of the gun when taking a trade. While that does make for a nice solid policy, it does not take into account how desirable the gun is, yet their sales price does. I had a PK380 that I was looking to trade for a Bersa 380CC and this was about two months after the PK380 first came out. Almost nobody had one but I found one out at PSS, bought it and then decided I did not like it as much as I thought I would. The gun had only about 100 rounds through it and was about two months old. I had paid $320, but was offered $165 at a different LGS. I would have gladly taken $225 on it, but they would not budge due to policy. I know that gun would have hit their showcase for close to $300 and would have sold because nobody else had one. Their loss on both that one and the CC I was looking at, as I ended up selling it for $250 via INGO and bought a CC from PSS.

I know their policy is whatever they want it to be, but sometimes it makes sense to be flexible. I still shop there because they have some of the friendliest folks around and decent prices on new guns.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    It can also depend on how many the gun shop has in stock, if theres a lot in stock or they are trying to get out of a particular weapon being sold there, they will lowball it in hopes that you walk away with the gun.

GlockWielder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    The general rule of thumb for a used gun that is under a year old that is being sold person to person is a 100 bucks off the original price you paid for it. If it is over a year old, the price goes down even more. If it is LNIB, I would pay no more than 450 for a used Glock. If it has some holster wear or has been shot a lot, I'd pay 400 for a used Gen 3 Glock.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I don't know weather to laugh or log off when I see the prices people are asking for their guns anymore. It reminds me of Don's Guns prices in Indy! I refer to it as "suggested list plus 40%" I've been accumulating guns for over 40 years and have never seen such insanity. You can price anything 2 ways- to keep or to sell.
    I have seen some guns on Gun Broker that have been for sale for 1 1/2 years and still on there, because the price is twice what it is worth. There are dealers at Indiana gun shows that have some of the same guns on their table for years for the same reason. The armslist site is almost as bad as Gun Broker.
    As stated above, do a little research as to what similar guns are actually selling for, not what people are "asking". Always 2 different figures. Be realistic. The economy is poor and people are not letting go of cash without good value. The net is full of over-priced guns with no takers. I can think of one Mini-14 that has been on Armslist since winter. Guy obviously wants too much. Don't use Gun Broker prices to base your price on. And remember, any on-line auction site is open to bidders from the entire world, so if you are bidding on something, you are going to be paying the highest price in the world for whatever you are bidding on! I consider that a real fool's game!

GlockWielder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    I agree absolutely with NicaJack on some guns going for very expensive prices! I've been buying and selling on Armslist.com with a lot of success but you have to know what everything is worth and if you can ever resell what you are buying. I've noticed that CC pistols that are small are super hot these days and most guns that are antique or more of a "show your friends gun" are not going to get good prices unless you have a buyer who is wanting exactly what you have (hard to find in this economy).

Top Bottom