• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I work with a young man, age 20, good head on his shoulders, who recently told me that the more he talks with/works with me, the more conservative he becomes.
    Yes, I count this as a win.

He asked me tonight “What do you think is the biggest obstacle my generation faces?”

i gave him my answer and he told me his thoughts as well, then I decided to put the question to the brain trust for other thoughts. Before I give the answers we each had, I’d like to hear/read what you guys come up with.

I think given the range of people here, this might be both interesting and enlightening.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Same each of you have.
    Perhaps for context I should say that I am almost old enough to be this man’s grandfather.

We have very different life experiences and for that matter, quantity of life experiences. I’m looking for other thoughts, preferably with some level of specificity, of challenges and obstacles faced by the current young adults that some of us with a few more trips around the sun than he has had see in his future.

For example, most of us growing up did not have to worry about “checking our privilege” or being thought evil for no more reason than the color of our skin and/or the fact that we were born male.
    Does that help to provide a better context for answers?

Thanks!

Blessings,
    Bill

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The biggest obstacle is refusing to forgive.

Cancel culture is based on never forgiving any wrong. So is all kinds of racial strife and division. Sure, society, white people in general and in particular, and police officers as a group have done wrong in the past. Refusing to live in the present and evaluate people and situations as they are now will destroy our country and society. We can't undo the past, but we can learn from it. The only time everyone gets even with those who hurt them is when they're both dead.
    People need to forgive and move on.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    If you cannot rule yourself, you will be ruled by others.

"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert

There's a reason love was at the beginning of Paul's list and self-control was at the end. Primacy and recency effect - the most important places.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That a country cannot be a first world power without a domestic industrial base and the desire for low price over made in America will likely be the death of our way of life

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Some great answers here guys, thank you!
    His thought was basically the cancel culture thing, being afraid to speak up for fear of running afoul of the mob.

My answer was apathy.

Other answers would still be appreciated!!

Blessings,
    Bill

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Some great answers here guys, thank you!
    His thought was basically the cancel culture thing, being afraid to speak up for fear of running afoul of the mob.

My answer was apathy.

Other answers would still be appreciated!!

Blessings,
    Bill
    Those are great answers as well. Maybe there is more than one thing they will need to overcome that is a priority.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    There is some wonderful insight in this thread.

As I look at many of the responses, in my mind many of them are affects and not a root cause.

Both of my children are in their early to late twenties. With a 6-year spread between them there is a little bit of differentiation in their behaviors even though they were raised in the same community by the same parents.

After a lot of soul searching trying to figure out "where I failed" I'm more convinced than ever that exposure to the internet, and especially social media is the root cause of much of our current societal dysfunction.

The feedback loops created by the social media companies to maintain screen focus by young minds and the amplification of what were marginalized fringe groups through easy access to communication across borders and cultural divides has made it easy to affect our children at their most impressionable times of growth and maturing.

The manner in which the social media companies have grown and manipulated their users since the early 2000s is now coming to roost in the functioning of our society.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Censorship. Lack of responsibility. No consequences for your actions. Technology dependent, unable to do it the manual/old school/basics way.

We hire young guys all the time that are just LAZY. They think they should be making $20 an hour because other people are, and since they don’t they aren’t gonna work as hard. They don’t have any ambition or drive, they’ve been handed literally everything from the day they were born, even schools are lowering the standards to graduate with a standard diploma.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Crippling debt from being force fed from my earliest days that I have to go a great college and get a super fancy degree! Just me? Lol

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Developing and maintaining a proper attitude.

I believe that this is the most significant hurdle faced by any generation. With a correct attitude and the vast resources of this nation, who would doubt these young people?

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    A lack of proper Father Power and mentoring is one of the biggest issues I've seen for about 40+ years now.
    Weakness, timidity, lack of confidence, poor communication skills, victim mentality, no issues with quitting
    to name a few stem from not real men being in their life.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    A lack of proper Father Power and mentoring is one of the biggest issues I've seen for about 40+ years now.
    Weakness, timidity, lack of confidence, poor communication skills, victim mentality, no issues with quitting
    to name a few stem from not real men being in their life.

Truth

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    An out of control state.
    Yeah, the fish really does rot from the head first.

Hard part for young people now, that they are on the receiving end of their forebearers' society having been enticed into chunking morality.

Top Bottom