• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I was out in the sticks late Saturday and it was dark. And I mean dark, as in you could actually see stars.

Yes, you can see stars in the city, but normally only a few. I live in Fort Wayne and can walk our and see a few stars. Yet when I am out in the country only an hour SE I can see STARS!!! Hundreds of em. You'd think they never end.

Anyway, back on point. While sitting near my little campfire after eating my chili dogs and Greek macaroni salad I was enjoying a fine cigar. I couldn't see much beyond the campfire but I heard noises.

It made me realize that the while my little flashlight with the LED lights is great for up close and wonderful for power consumption it was not the best for long distance viewing.

Which brings me to you fine chaps. I know I will find fonts of wisdom galore on the most affordable, portable can of sunshine one can hold.

What would you recommend for lighting something up at 100 yards or beyond? What price range should I reasonably look for? I know that while I only want to spend $9.95 that probably isn't reasonable. I also know there should be something that costs less than a legal tommygun, so what is it? Also, the best store to buy it from would be good to know, if local stores carry such lumens in a stick?

Thanks in advance for lighting up my life!:D

Regards,

Doug

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Are you wanting something fairly pocketable or just something you could bring along? I've been researching the heck out of flashlights recently, and I really like the "Four Sevens" brand do far for "bang for your buck." They have many different offerings. You could probably get something satisfactory for <100, but I'm sure there are better ones out there for your purchase in the 150+ range. Personally, I'd take a look in the sub 100 range, but that's just how I feel. Maybe check out the Four Sevens Quark Turbo. Don't know of if it will do the 100 yds you're asking for, but it looks to have a decent amount of throw for the price.

Here's a link:
    http://www.foursevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=2898

Last edited:

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    Well, either you don't know or you do know and your just looking to open a can of oh heck !! But I will start this off by "shining a little light" on the topic.

It depends on what you want this light for, like most lights are mission specfic. For what you say cost is the biggest factor.. I say a 4 c cell Mag Light.. cheap ,strong water proof and bad ass! If you want to spend some good coin, Surefire lights is a way to go but dont forget the charge card.

There are always trade offs, i mean you could go with a multi million candle power /lumen spot light, it wont be lightweight or cheap or easy to use quickly.

So in interest of time and space and knowing there will be several to disagree with me, and those to disagree with them. I will end here by saying good luck on finding the right light for you and what your doing where your at!!!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Scottka,

I want something I can carry, but it doesn't have to fit in my pocket. I will check the link. Thanks!

To Davis0023,

I know that flashlights have batteries and bulbs... And that is about the extent of my knowledge.;)

Oh wait! Some have different SIZE batteries and different KINDS of bulbs. Now my knowledge is nearly exhausted.:scratch:

Seriously!

The one thing I am certain of is that there is someone on these boards who was far more concerned with this topic before me and thus has already compiled all the research necessary.

Oh yeah, and I'm lazy too.:D (Did I need to say that...?)

I want something I could put in the car trunk, carry in one hand, and can shoot light beams out to at least 100 yards and maybe a beyond - depending on price.

If you need me to be technical I do not care what colour the light is except that I don't want red or yellow or some goofy colour. I also don't want to slam the whole neighborhood so I would prefer a focused beam, maybe only a few feet wide on point of impact.

Does that clarify a bit more?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Doug

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I like my Olight M20S. Smallish, great throw, not extremely focused at 100 yes but def lights up the area, I use rechargeable batteries (I think they are 18550s) (they cost 7 bucks) I picked mine up for around 80 with 2 batteries and a charger.

Someone did a review on them here on Ingo.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I picked up a Powertac Warrior at Kodiak range last week. Kinda pricey at $150. A little big for EDC, but doesn't fit bad in cargo pants. It is bright and lights up my 100 yard target pretty well. Weapon mountable in standard 1 inch mount and a remote pressure switch is available for 20 bucks.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    I was impressed with my Streamlight ProTAC HL last weekend at my brother in law's place lighting up a field to check out some deer. Pros: 600 lumens, can carry in my pocket ok, decent battery life, can be found online for $70 or less. Cons: it is a bit larger than some may want for EDC, push button control on end cap that while it does have momentary on it can be switched to full on easier than some may like and doesn't have twist on/off.

F250

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Tipton County
    Streamlight

Check the Waypoint by Streamlight. It has a high,low and strobe setting. It is light weight and has a wrist strap to keep it secured. They have rechargable and d battery models.

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I'll second the Fury by Surefire. Bulky in the pocket, but not like trying to stuff a 4D maglight in there. As a matter of fact, I found it lit up my backyard better than any Maglight I've ever had. Buy once, cry once.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    I just picked up a new light at the last 1500. It is a JetBeam (import) PA10 which takes either a single AA battery or a Lithium rechargable 14500 battery. The rechargable battery is a 3.5 volt (I think) whereas the AA is a 1.5 volt. There are lots of gimmicky light choices with the AA battery installed, that do not function with the Lithium battery. But with the Lithium battery this little jewel puts out 650 Lumens. This thing fits easily in the pocket and will totally blind someone if need be. The Lithium is only supposed to be good for 30 minutes but MAN is this little sucker bright. I think the light was about $60. Like I said I just picked it up, so I cannot speak for longevity but it is the brightest light I have ever carried in my pocket AND it will take AA batteries instead of A123 batteries.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you wantt advice on all things flashlights, (and I mean ALL THINGS) you are on the wrong forum. Go check out CandlePowerForums and get the real scoop from guys that are all about flashlights. You will be amazed... I was... I found out about flashlight makers that I never knew existed and WOW do they make flashlights.. Way beyond just Surefire and Streamlight ;)

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Agreed. CPF. The term for what you are looking for is a "thrower." The TK35 is a good suggestion. Throwers, due to their reflector depth, are not the most pocketable.

GoingGear has some of the better flashlight review videos.

Be careful or you'll get stuck in the HDS addiction... ;)

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Mama has a Streamlight, P6, I think? and I've got a comparable Surefire. Both easily pocketable, great for bob's, both in the fifty buck range. I've got a Fenix TK40. Awesomely bright at distance, but takes 8 AAs and eats 'em like candy. Maglights are GREAT flashlights for the money, particularly the halogen and led models. My overall favorite, though, is the Streamlight Stinger LED. They make a poly model which will fit most all of your needs, rechargeable, bright as hell at (if I remember correctly) 230 or so lumens. It has a tailcap switch, three brightness settings, strobe, water resistant, and tough. We use 'em in the glass factory, and they take the punishment better than anything else we've had. I bought mama a new one from Ebay some time back. As tough as that is to do, it did end up impressing her. It should be noted that some of the fellas at work use Ikelite dive lights. Due to their waterproof sealing, they do a good job of keeping the grease and crap out.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You have a couple basic options.

Buy

Build

Or combination of both (buy a "donor" light and build components to make it like the Binford SBL10000)

I've done the first and the last. I have a Fenix L2D that is 180 lumens and while it's reasonable and portable, I wanted more for extremem situations.

I bought a $5 2D battery light from woot and built a custom head in it from parts available online (LED, driver circuit, wires etc). The specs on the driver and LED say it should be around 1200 lumens. I have a flood-reflector in it that is very effective. I can easily light up reflective targets (think eyes glowing in the night) at 3-400 yards and effectively light up non-reflective targets at 125-175 yards. I am very happy with it and I have about $65 total in the light. I had to do some machine-work to make a heat-sink for the LED so that may be a bit hard for you if you don't have access to a lathe.

My next light project will likely be similar, but dealextreme offers a 1200 lumen 5LED head that is set up for spot (much better at long distance) that will "almost" fit in mag D heads. My plan is to buy that head (it has everything included, driver, leds, heat sink etc) and modify it to fit in the head. If that works out well, I can do that same for you if you'd like. I have a lathe & mill in my garage and side-jobs are always nice to keep a little money coming in outside of my normal paycheck.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Although the Surefire Fury is a great light, it's not really a thrower. You have to get a Surefire with a TIR lens (E2D or LX2) to get a thrower, that starts getting the the $130 plus range. (very nice lights though)

Being that you are new to higher end flashlights, I'm going to recommend two lights to you that will fit your need well, blow your mind a little, and be fairly cost effective.

1st: 4Sevens QB2L Gen 2: The first generation of this light was 230 lumens, although the numbers are not out yet, these are going to land around 275 lumens. This light is built to throw a tight beam 200 yards. It is a very compact size and will be easy to carry while hunting hiking ...etc. It does run on CR123a batteries, which are a more stable battery, give you more light output, but cost more. This has a tactical style switch, set one mode to high and the secondary mode to low. Cost is going to be around $60 after ingo discount and shipping.

Quark Turbo QB2L Gen 2

2nd. 4Sevens QB2A Gen 2: Just as above, but runs on AA batteries instead. You give up some output, this should land around 230 lumens, and the light is longer due to AA batteries being longer. But it runs on AA batteries. I can personally say this light throws just as far as the Surefire LX2. Cost is the same at about $60.

Quark Turbo QB2A Gen 2

Fun Facts for thought:

1. Throw. The smoother and deeper the reflector is, the more throw you get. So lights with shallow reflectors, or orange peel, have wider beams. Also, bigger LED's such as the XML will have wider beams because the light source is bigger. So watch out when a light says it has a ton of lumens, but has a XML LED, as it will have a wide beam pattern. (this assumes you want a throw light)

2. Light output: Manufacturers can put whatever they want on the box. So I always tell folks, "A Cree XP-G R5 is a Cree XP-G R5". In other words, flashlights that use the same LED, prolly have similar light outputs. 4Sevens might say there light has 200 lumens, but Jetbeam might say theirs is 300. If they both have the same LED same batteries, it's unlikely the case. Things like reflectors and lens design will matter, but typically not by 30%......

Vidoes:

Back in the day, the QB2A was called a turbo AA^2.

http://youtu.be/eocmxb6zYTg

If you want to know how to program the tactical interfaces on all 4sevens lights

http://youtu.be/dBYtAd5pqpY

I hope I didn't cram too much info out there!

Top Bottom