• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I mean I have no idea who, what, when, where, why. I see people talking about "rep". I see people thanking for "rep given" I tend to think it is a virtual attaboy! I'm sure something on this site explains it. I don't know how to give it. I don't know if I have received it(Doubt it, I'm not very nice)If I did get it, is someone wondering why I never properly thanked them. If I knew how to give rep, I will probably be dangerous. I hand that shat out like candy. I see some folks posting that have funny to say, or un-noticed and properly recognized common sense to say, kindness in attitude, restraint in anger, etc.

This will be a short thread I am sure. Someone can include a link to an explanation, I am sure. I've been lurking on here for years, since a kid Glazier named Kyle turned me on to it. He might deserve a rep.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The rep system no longer exists since they went to this new format, but yes, it was basically a virtual "attaboy". As one accumulated more "rep points", there used to be something under your avatar that described the level of rep. Things like "So and so is an unknown at this point", "So and so is just a really nice guy", on up to "So and so has a reputation beyond repute". Closest thing now is the "Like" thingy.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It was designed to identify members who were knowledgeable and helpful to other members over the years. Sort of a "if this guy says it, you can probably believe it". But of course after awhile it became abused. There developed groups on the INGO that would just rep each other all the time whether they deserved it or not. But they would still strut around like peacocks with the big rep numbers. So another group, to show the absurdity of it all, started up a thread call the Rep Pyramid where everyone repped the last 4 guys that post and so on. So rep got blown up all over the Board.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It was designed to identify members who were knowledgeable and helpful to other members over the years. Sort of a "if this guy says it, you can probably believe it". But of course after awhile it became abused. There developed groups on the INGO that would just rep each other all the time whether they deserved it or not. But they would still strut around like peacocks with the big rep numbers. So another group, to show the absurdity of it all, started up a thread call the Rep Pyramid where everyone repped the last 4 guys that post and so on. So rep got blown up all over the Board.
    I never joined any of the Pyramid threads. I had *just* made it to "reputation beyond repute" shortly before they changed the platform. And I did it all on my own! *struts* :):

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    So how do the trophy points work? There are a lot of more competent members here who have a lower number than mine. Seems like it also doesn't reflect reality.

Maybe there is no substitute for reading and understanding other people's posts, you know, the old fashioned way.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So how do the trophy points work? There are a lot of more competent members here who have a lower number than mine. Seems like it also doesn't reflect reality.

Maybe there is no substitute for reading and understanding other people's posts, you know, the old fashioned way.
    I wondered about that too. They don't seem to correlate to number of "likes" or anything. I wonder if they were based on the rep points from the old system? They never seem to change, whatever they are.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've had mine change twice - once to 117 and once to 149. It's all very mysterious.
    149 is the highest I've seen. Various activities tie into the points, but I don't know if there is any place that shows which activities are scored and how much they are worth.

ETA: Found it. If you click into your profile you can see the trophies you've earned. In that window there is a button to "see all trophies."

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    The numbers aren't adding up though. I show 149 trophy points, but when I check the trophies I have earned irks less than that.

doggydaddy shows 77, but he has all the same trophies I do.
    Ya I’m wondering if the trophy system isn’t bugged. I was bored one night scrolling around checking that out and I just assumed I didn’t understand the system correctly. Glad I’m not the only one.

Top Bottom