• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    As a Christian this a very important question to me. Tonight at Tom Thumb me and my dad were taking our blood pressure (Market hasn't been good this week) a man approaches us and ask us for $10. Now obviously we question this; he tells us that he needs money for insulin for his wife. He tells us he has a friend in the cash office named Radco or something. We verify this and then give him his ten and go on our merry way. On our way home my dad ask ''What is joy and is it related to wealth?'' This guy said he was catholic and seemed like a good man, but back to the question of the thread. What is Joy?

Last edited:

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Joy is whatever you make it.
    for some it is only the simple things in life, being able to eat a warm meal, having the privilege to sleep in a cozy bed at night. and in the family I was raised in we were taught that time and time again.
    I have been blessed to have the job, family and friends that I do have, and I find joy in just the times I spend with all of them!

as for the guy in your story, I would not have handed him a $1 bill.
    call me a jerk, I just know how those games are played.
    I work for my money, why can't he?
    I take care of enough people whe I pay taxes...
    IF he really does need the money and I feel that, I will hand my $10 to the cashier and make sure my money is going to the right thing.
    can't bs a bs'r!

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    You could start by what joy is NOT -
    It's not necessarily what many call "happiness."
    Happiness is fleeting and ultimately dependent upon the situation. You can be "unhappy" but not unjoyful.

Joy is like the feeling of happiness, but deeper, more like contentment founded on Hope.

Not hope as in "I hope I win the lottery." But hope in what you're sure will come. More like a kid hoping Santa brings him something.

This is all wrapped up in unexplainable PEACE. A calmness in spite of the circumstances. A deep and abiding assuredness, that every thing is going to be alright!

And for me ... this version of this well known song brings me JOY and kind of describes what I mean.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzGV9Bl6CGg[/ame]

I would venture to say that many people in this world may have experienced happiness .... but not true joy.

Last edited:

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    From a worldly perspective, joy and happiness are the same thing.

From a Christian perspective, they are opposites.

Think about it this way - The root word of happiness is hap, which means luck, chance, accident, which is where we also get words like happenstance. Happiness then is based on circumstances and external factors.

Joy on the other hand is internal and does not change based on circumstances. Specifically, as I said from a Christian perspective, it's the peace that comes from trusting in, and being content, with the promises of God no matter what circumstance you find yourself in. Rom 8:28.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    From a worldly perspective, joy and happiness are the same thing.

From a Christian perspective, they are opposites.

The opposite of Joy from a Christian perspective is despair. Despair being the sickness unto death. (of the soul)

Last edited:

bthomp9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    tipton
    Happiness is based on what you do. Playing Tennis makes me happy.
    Joy is who you are. I am joyful based on the path my life has taken and the choices made. I am joyful in trial and in blessing. (At least to the best of my ability)
    make a decision to be a joyful person today.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Opposite perspectives, as I explained above.
    I am nit picky.

Happiness is a state of emotion. Joy is a spiritual fruit. Trying to describe joy is like trying to describe blue to a blind man. I know blue when I see it.

Despair is the privation of Joy.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    It is different for everyone caused by different stimuli.
    Simple to some as the question "What is Love?"
    Different for everyone.

What is love?

what-is-love-jim-carrey-7.jpg

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I am nit picky.

Happiness is a state of emotion. Joy is a spiritual fruit. Trying to describe joy is like trying to describe blue to a blind man. I know blue when I see it.

Despair is the privation of Joy.

I get what you're saying but I think despair is the opposite of hope. Hope can produce joy though.

My point was the opposite perspective, inward vs outward, of happiness vs joy.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Joy, to me, is a higher form of happieness that knowing our Lord Jesus brings. Joy is felt more in the soul than the heart.

It's like what I tell my family: Only Jesus can tell you how much I love you. I have no words to describe the love I have for you. My family brings me an unlimited amount of joy to my life and to my soul.

Top Bottom