• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Which one is the best? I am on my 4th on a quest for the best. Someone please help!!!
    DETONICS :rockwoot:

The designer of the Detonics pistols holds more patents on the 1911 design than any man, alive or dead, other than John M Browning. Almost all modern 1911 pistols use multiple Detonics patents and every single compact 1911 is simply a copy/clone of the early Detonics compact pistols. Detonics even solved the problem of galling on all stainless steel guns, prior to Detonics guns could not even be made of stainless. If you want the best, then buy a Detonics.

Take your pick:
    • Compact: CombatMaster
    • Full size: ServiceMaster
    • Target: ScoreMaster

I agree. Everything feels right, grip size, grip angle and trigger. My first 45 was a Glock, good pistol, but it was traded long ago for a Colt 1911.
    Yup, they just feel right.

But according to some actual FBI shooting data I had long ago (lost it) the 1911 has the highest "1st shot hit" potential of any handgun design made. So if you are in a gunfight do you want the gun that actually is easier to hit your target with on the first shot? Or do you want to wait to hit your attacker with the 2nd or 3rd shot?

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    The first pistol i ever bought was a Jennings J22, then about 2 weeks later i bought a Llama 1911 in .45 ACP,, i have owned a few others, and they are the only pistols i regret selling. I am planning on buying a GSG1911, and may try one of the ATI .45's. Gota start over somewhere, and since i just bought my first suppressor, i need something else to put it on.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    I got a .45 Kimber used off a member here about a year ago and just became hooked. I love that gun. I wish I had not waited 47 years to do so. One day it just hit me: "It's Un-American not to own at least one 1911 in a .45."

"It's Un-American not to own at least one 1911 in a .45." I could'nt agree more. John Moses Browning was a genious. But Gaston Glock is also a pretty fart smeller...I mean smart feller.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Growing up I always thought a 1911 was the ONLY semi auto pistol there was. (not actually, but its the only one I ever looked at) Presently I own several other pistols besides my 1911s, but for the most part, the only ones that get carried are the 1911 designs. The size is comforting, the trigger is better than any other carry pistol I own, and I am almost as accurate with it as I am with my 7 1/2 barreled 44. As far as I am concerned, the 1911 is the total package when it comes to an excellent carry/combat/range/whatever you want to do with it pistol.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    Rohrbaugh R9S EDC
    S&W 1911 Target
    Para SS GI-Expert
    Springfield SS Loaded 9mm Target
    Springfield Parkerized Loaded
    Seecamp for when nothing else will do.

Looking for a Springer SS TRP

Gotta love the 1911 for feel and looks. Shoots like a dream. Cought the bug and cannot seem to stop:dunno::dunno::draw:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Thank you, i did get to shoot the GSG1911, suppressed even, but i wouldn't mind checking out the ATI 45. Is it rated for +P ammunition?
    It doesn't even address +p in the manual or on the website, other than to say damage from reloads isn't covered under their warranty. But I know XtremeVel's loads were hotter and they went through like butter.
    I'll see if I can point him over here so he can tell you exactly what they were...
    Also, if you have free time/days off/etc., PM me your schedule, and I'll see about setting up some range time for you to try the ATI out. Mine is the FX45 GI model (like the Military model, except it has the swept beaver tail and the memory bump on the grip safety).

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It doesn't even address +p in the manual or on the website, other than to say damage from reloads isn't covered under their warranty. But I know XtremeVel's loads were hotter and they went through like butter.
    I'll see if I can point him over here so he can tell you exactly what they were...
    Also, if you have free time/days off/etc., PM me your schedule, and I'll see about setting up some range time for you to try the ATI out. Mine is the FX45 GI model (like the Military model, except it has the swept beaver tail and the memory bump on the grip safety).

I was really impressed with JG's ATI. So impressed it moved to the TOP of my " must have " list.

As for the loads that I had that were ran thru it. Neither load would of approached +p pressures. The hottest of the (2) loads was 6.4 gr of unique using a hornady 230 gr FMJ. The other load is what impressed me the most. It was a mild load using a 200 gr SWC cast bullet with 5.8 gr of unique. The fact it fed them flawlessly made me a believer. Many guns seem to choke on that sharp shoulder going up the feed ramp. As I was shooting the same load in a XD and clearing mis-feeds, JG had them running thru that ATI flawlessly. I ran some thru also without a malfunction.

From what I saw, as long as I had the proper weight spring I wouldn't be afraid to shoot +P's thru it.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Well for the second time the poor XDm was left home....This time it was the GSG and the RO. I really am starting to just fall for the 1911 feel. I am thinking about trading the XDm for a commander sized 1911.

dcampbell86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Muncie
    For me the 1911 platform fits in my hand perfectly and being a heavier handgun it has lower recoil and allows me to shoot very well and you can't beat the firepower :)

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    I think the "mini" 1911's: the Colt Mustang 380 , the Colt Government Model 380, and ec. are also the best designs for little guns. They have low felt recoil, are straight shootin' and very reliable. They're very close to the full size 1911 45acp in exterior design and feel good in your hand.

JohnnyTre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Jasper County
    I saw an olympic arms matchmaster in a shooters bible when I was 11 and I thought it was the sharpest gun in the book. Ten years later I bought one and even though I don't carry it very often and there were probably better 1911's for the price I'm glad I did, it just feels right in my hand.

Top Bottom