• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wa22ioR

Unapologetically American
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The 1911 is the American firearm. It has the perfect grip angle, grip, stippling, barrel length, caliber, and aesthetics. They are beautiful weapons! The only downfall for them is that some are very tight and are very picky about ammo and magazine selection. Some do not like hollowpoints at all. However, I trust my life with a 1911 from time to time. So take it for what it's worth. No armory collection is complete without a good ole American M1911.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Some do not like hollowpoints at all.

It's been my experience that the ones with issues over hollowpoints (or wad cutters, too) seem to be the ones without ramped barrels and/or compacts.
    The flat front edge of the round gets squarely hung up where no ramp supports a smooth feed into the chamber.
    My opinions only... I'm certainly no smith - but judge the difference for yourself:

feed-ramps.jpg

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think it is a combination of several key factors, but I think it boils down to slim grip, grip angle, history, and Americal pride IMHO. That and there's nothing like shooting 45 ACP!:yesway:

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    The 1911 just points natural and the straight rearward pull to fire just feels better than most other autos.

Its an addiction I have 3 and would like to add at least another 5 or so at the least

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    On and off during most of my career, I've carried a 1911 of some sort when off duty. The folks around here just don't like someone walking about with a 1911 in Condition One (and only) when on duty for some silly reason.

With that said, I've had Colts, an AMT, and now have a Caspian. They have all worked.

My current battery is a Caspian 5" hardchromed by Dave Lauck of D&L Sports. My other smaller 1911 is a hardchromed Colt Officer's Model by Dave Lauck also. Both are custom.

If I "bought off the shelf" so to speak, I'd be hard pressed. I would probably consider a Springfield Armory "Professional", or a Kimber. There are many more choices now than there were in the past, which is a great thing.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    On and off during most of my career, I've carried a 1911 of some sort when off duty. The folks around here just don't like someone walking about with a 1911 in Condition One (and only) when on duty for some silly reason.

With that said, I've had Colts, an AMT, and now have a Caspian. They have all worked.

My current battery is a Caspian 5" hardchromed by Dave Lauck of D&L Sports. My other smaller 1911 is a hardchromed Colt Officer's Model by Dave Lauck also. Both are custom.

If I "bought off the shelf" so to speak, I'd be hard pressed. I would probably consider a Springfield Armory "Professional", or a Kimber. There are many more choices now than there were in the past, which is a great thing.

Springfield Pro yes.....Kimber NO

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I carry a government model 1911 every day....

Even after 100 years, Browning's design is the best....can't beat it IMO.

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    I haven't found any semi auto that feels as good in my hand as the 1911,and I've tried quite a few.........but at the same time,I've found some 1911's that don't feel quite right either..when I was shopping for my first,I tried a Kimber Stainless II,and something was just "off",couldn't put my finger on it(shame too,beautiful 1911 & a good deal),same thing happened with a Taurus PT1911....when I decided to go for a "base" model to personalize..and started looking at RIA's...I picked up two identical guns(only a couple numbers apart in the serial)...and one felt "off" and the other came home with me...and I've figured out that it's maybe gonna be like a hotrod project never truly "finished"...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Before I bought my Range Officer, I loved taking my XDm 9mm out to the range and just going to town, I had fired other pistols but none compared to my 9. Since I have had my RO the XDm has seen less range time, and in fact on our second trip I didn't even bring in the XDm. There is just something about that 1911 that draws me to it, I cant quite explain it but it is a blast to shoot, and I am more accurate with it.

I have always had colts and Para ordinance 1911's. I bought a range officer and it set me onto a trophy match. I own 7 1911's. They are just so comfortable in my hand. I have an HK, USP with a poly frame in .45 ACP. It is a tack driver and has never given any trouble. I like it but always go back to one of the 1911's
    John Browning was a god.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I haven't found any semi auto that feels as good in my hand as the 1911,and I've tried quite a few.........but at the same time,I've found some 1911's that don't feel quite right either..when I was shopping for my first,I tried a Kimber Stainless II,and something was just "off",couldn't put my finger on it(shame too,beautiful 1911 & a good deal),same thing happened with a Taurus PT1911....when I decided to go for a "base" model to personalize..and started looking at RIA's...I picked up two identical guns(only a couple numbers apart in the serial)...and one felt "off" and the other came home with me...and I've figured out that it's maybe gonna be like a hotrod project never truly "finished"...

I have the same illness. My first Springfield has evolved into a full on race gun.

chipperej

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Boone County Indiana
    I bought my first 1911 only 1 week ago (Springfield Armory Loaded). On Saturday I bought my second one. (Sig Sauer 1911-22B). It is like an addiction! I love the way they feel and shoot.:):

Top Bottom