What is a reasonable time to begin shooting on your land?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    If the fence is cutting off his view, check the laws on "spite fences" first. Property disputes can get messy, especially when it gets to the courts. Don't do anything that they would see as "bad faith" and document all the extra measures you're taking to alleviate the situation (like building the berm, etc).

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I shoot at 9 am or later most of the time it is afternoon.

One time my neighbor started shooting at 2 am to make the local dogs stop. He did that for a few days. I did a mag dump after he did his 2 am wake up. That crap stopped from him after that.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Wow, 9am should be fine, I cut my grass at 8:30 on some Saturdays,, whatever they agree too I guess

but i do wait to test my car with open headers until 9:00am for sure. :D

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I usually don't shoot after dark, and 9am is about the earliest I shoot most of the time. I shoot a lot of silenced firearms, I think the neighbors appreciate that when they even know that I'm shooting! :)

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    During the week I'm up at 5am so 9am is sleeping in for me. Personally to me, out shooting at 9am is no different than mowing the lawn at 9am except I'm going to be enjoying shooting a hell of a lot more.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'm thinking about running in to town and start shooting about dawn for a couple weeks at a time during different random times of the year. Just about as the crows start calling and again in the evening as soon as people put the kids to bed. Just a few random shots over the roof tops and a mag dump or two like I was blasting at a running deer. No need to worry over where all those other bullets land so long as I'm far away from where from where my own family and home is.

Maybe I need one of those 458 socom rifles after all the more I think about it. No need to worry you little pointy town heads if you hear me outside yer window, I took the hunter ed class on line once.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Have been at my current place 11 years. Shoot every once in a while. Got a new neighbor and he kept calling the cops on me for shooting. Really sad as the 1st guy that came out was a College cop and this neighbor is a prof.

Anyhow, I have had one say I needed to warn the neighbor before I shoot. One said just don't do it because there are never problems in the area, one who said do what you want because it is legal and another who said he didn't understand why I needed to do it.

Hmmm... I am over 4 miles out of town. I popped all rounds safely. Nothing was way late or way early. The more I think about it the more I wanna go out now and dump a mag. All I did before was test a few. No firing for effect. Hate to admit I just don't like having the hassle from the deputy's showing up... right or wrong.

That is just sad... really it is. Last time they said the neighbors were worried about their kids... I honestly asked if the kids were hiding on my property. Maybe I need to take the excavator out, dig a nice ramped pit, and invite all INGO people over for an entire day of wasting time though shooting...

Bottom line is... if he mows at 9, shoot at 9.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Have been at my current place 11 years. Shoot every once in a while. Got a new neighbor and he kept calling the cops on me for shooting. Really sad as the 1st guy that came out was a College cop and this neighbor is a prof.

Anyhow, I have had one say I needed to warn the neighbor before I shoot. One said just don't do it because there are never problems in the area, one who said do what you want because it is legal and another who said he didn't understand why I needed to do it.

Hmmm... I am over 4 miles out of town. I popped all rounds safely. Nothing was way late or way early. The more I think about it the more I wanna go out now and dump a mag. All I did before was test a few. No firing for effect. Hate to admit I just don't like having the hassle from the deputy's showing up... right or wrong.

That is just sad... really it is. Last time they said the neighbors were worried about their kids... I honestly asked if the kids were hiding on my property. Maybe I need to take the excavator out, dig a nice ramped pit, and invite all INGO people over for an entire day of wasting time though shooting...

Bottom line is... if he mows at 9, shoot at 9.

Waiting by the mailbox for my invitation, i have a skid steer loader if you need help with the pit.

emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    if he mowes at 9 am gonna have ive got to side with Jack Ryan i think its rapid fire time with the louded firearm available If they dont like it tell them they can just catch a boat to f*ck off me land

purd002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Thread bump with a question.

I am a gun owner on 3 acres, my neighbor is a gun owner on about the same acreage. We both shoot on our property and take the appropriate safety precautions and use common sense. The past two nights (11:30pm & 8pm) somebody else has been doing multiple rapidfire mag dumps. No idea who it is and it has me concerned due to the fact that it is at night and all the other owners towards the shooting have either the same amount of land or less. And, with that little amount of land as a buffer there isn't enough distance to make up for someones asshattery.

Would you get the sheriffs involved for safety reasons? While technically not illegal it has had my family on edge at night due to the proximity and the unknown of who is doing it . . .

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Would you get the sheriffs involved for safety reasons? While technically not illegal it has had my family on edge at night due to the proximity and the unknown of who is doing it . . .

It's not going to hurt, whenever they start shooting just give them a call and say that you don't know who is out there shooting and let them check it out. If the person who is out there shooting is legit, then the sheriff's will be gone in no time. If they are just out fooling around doing mag dumps at 11:30 pm, then maybe they will talk some common courtesy sense into him.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    And maybe they will read the whole lot of you the riot act for improper backstop and or property for target shooting, depending on local codes. I am not pretending to know the law here but what is accepted by me and my neighbors may very well break local code for shooting as my neighbors shoot on an incline where as I shoot at a decline in to a good backstop.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO

I am a gun owner on 3 acres, my neighbor is a gun owner on about the same acreage. We both shoot on our property and take the appropriate safety precautions and use common sense. The past two nights (11:30pm & 8pm) somebody else has been doing multiple rapidfire mag dumps. No idea who it is and it has me concerned due to the fact that it is at night and all the other owners towards the shooting have either the same amount of land or less. And, with that little amount of land as a buffer there isn't enough distance to make up for someones asshattery.

I would suggest talking to your neighbors during the day first to see who's shooting and sort it out that way as opposed to a scared MWAG call. Those can have pretty ugly consequences even if it's a water hose nozzle like in another thread.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

Well, I've got a couple thoughts on this. First, if you don't know who is doing the shooting, have you tried calling your neighbors while it is happening and asking if they know who it is? Perhaps if it *is* one of them, you can politely ask them to stop shooting so late. Or if you've called all of them, and all have denied it is them, you can call the sheriff and report that you nor any of your neighbors know who is shooting.

Secondly, if it IS some of your neighbors shooting, should you call the sheriff first or call them and politely ask them to stop first? If it were you doing the shooting (I know, I know, you wouldn't be so rude, but just pretend...), would you rather get a call from your neighbor asking you politely to stop shooting or would you want the sheriff to just show up at your door?

:twocents:

purd002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    We were carrying in groceries last night when it began and it was back in the treeline. I don't get home until dark and I don't get paid to run towards gunfire :) I'm hoping it's a carryover from NYE and will die out before we have to start taking cover in our own house!

purd002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    would you rather get a call from your neighbor asking you politely to stop shooting or would you want the sheriff to just show up at your door?

:twocents:

I understand. But if you are doing late night mag dumps you are asking to get a visit from sheriff. Especially if you are doing it where you have fairly close houses. Should I call the sheriff and get it stopped or return fire :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    i'd say 9 is fine.

across the street from me is another town. they have an ordinace that says no lawn mowers before 9am. (incl weed wackers etc.) well we don't have that on the other side of the street.

i <3 going out at 7am to mow when it's still cool out and having the police show up and not able to do anything

also i <3 mowing on ozone warning days, about 2pm when the sun is the hottest i've had the cops called on me twice for that, at least that time it was the cops in the town i live in, shot the **** with them for a while about that and had a good laugh both times.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I had a range that was right out my back door. The neighbors made an off handed comment about it sounding like the civil war was being reinacted next door. I moved the range over the next hill and you can't tell whether we are shooting or someone a half a mile away is shooting.

Top Bottom