What if marijuana were legalized tomorrow?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    Found this online as to the reason pot was criminalized in the first place:

"....In the 1930's, Ford Motor Company operated a successful biomass fuel conversion plant using cellulose at Iron Mountain, Michigan. Ford engineers extracted methanol, charcoal fuel, tar, pitch ethyl-acetate and creosote from hemp. The same fundamental ingredients for industry were also being made from fossil fuels.
    During the same period, Du Pont was developing cellophane, nylon, and dacron from from fossil fuels. Du Pont held the patents on many synthetics and became a leader in the development of paint, rayon, synthetic rubber, plastics, chemicals, photographic film, insecticides and agricultural chemicals.
    From the Du Pont 1937 Annual Report we find a clue to what started to happen next: "The revenue raising power of government may be converted into an instrument for forcing acceptance of sudden new ideas of industrial and social reoganization". Ok, enter William Randolph Hearst. Hearst's company was a major consumer of the cheap tree-pulp paper that had replaced hemp paper in the late 19th century. The Hearst Corporation was also a major logging company, and produced Du Pont's chemical-drenched tree pulp paper, which yellowed and fell apart after a short time. Fueled by the advertising sold to the petrochemical industries, Hearst Newspapers were also known for their sensationalist stories. Hearst despised poor people, black people, chinese, hindus, and all other minorities. Most of all he hated Mexicans. Pancho Villa's cannabis-smoking troops had reclaimed some 800,000 acres of prime timberland from Hearst in the name of the mexican peasants. And all of the low-quality paper the company planned to make by deforesting it's vast timber holdings were in danger of being replaced by low-cost, high quality paper made from hemp.
    Hearst had always supported any kind of prohibition, and now he wanted cannabis included in every anti-narcotics bill. Never mind that cannabis wasn't a narcotic. Facts weren't important. The important thing was to have it completely removed from society, doctors, and industry.
    In that same year, 1937, Du Pont filed its patent on Nylon, a synthetic fiber that took over many of the textile and cordage markets that would have gone to hemp. More than half the American cars on the road were built by GM, which guaranteed Du Pont a captive market for paints, varnishes, plastics, and rubber, all which could have been made from hemp. Furthermore, all GM cars would subsequently be designed to use tetra-ethyl leaded fuel exclusively, which contained additives that Du Pont manufactured. All competition from hemp had been outlawed.

How Marijuana Became Illegal

So, there's the thing....money. Du Pont wanted to kill off the hemp industry so it's new synthetics could rule the market. They won, pot lost.

I say decriminalize it, market it, tax it like tobacco and let the nay-sayers have a toke and a smile!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'll be perfectly honest with you, I HATE alcohol and what it does to me (as I sit here drinking rum/lemon slushies from my blender). If Cannabis were legalized on a federal level, not only would I grow it, but provided I could use it during my home time without effecting my CDL employment, I would smoke it about as often as I drink now (6-8 times a year). I would not drink a drop of alcohol EVER. My health would not suffer or improve as a result of it. Now 20 years ago, when I drank my paycheck each and every payday, and worked in a less "safety sensitive" environment, I would have smoked a ton of it rather than drank so much. I think maturity plays a big role in ANY form of consumption, so maybe the BEST way to do this is to place a HIGHER legal age than currently in place for alcohol, lets say 28.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    I'm guessing they'd put the same taxes/regulations/restrictions on it that tobacco has. I have no problem with any of it since I've never partaken of either of them and am not particularly opposed to either except the second hand smoke issue.

Although in my younger days I did experience the effects of second hand smoke at various parties from the roll your own type cigarettes being smoked. The only ill effects I remember are. . .uh. . ... never mind!

None of those, including Alcohol, Gasoline, etc.... are reasonable.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    Agreed, but one step at a time, lets get it legal, then we can attack the legitimacy of the taxes. There stands to be a net loss by legalizing it, so I say let's give them that for now. Use the same baby steps they've used against us........

Net gain actually. Think about how much enforcement, confinement, "war on drug" money will be saved, plus new tax revenue.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Net gain actually. Think about how much enforcement, confinement, "war on drug" money will be saved, plus new tax revenue.
    Yes but looking at the revenue generated in tax dollars for leo/jails/courts a loss. A loss is actually a gain and a gain is actually a loss depending on where you stand in the food chain. Our loss their gain, their loss our gain.....

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The social ills would only get worse. There would be more pot heads walking around in a constant state of stupid. More people would endanger others and neglect their families.

The SCOTUS has consistently ruled that federal drug bans are constitutional. It is silly to pretend that anyone's rights are violated because pot is illegal.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Having been around pot a lot in my youth (my friends were into it, I never partook of course :D), I have to say I don't think a thing would change. Corn would still be the king crop, just people would be a little more mellow.

The idea of the pot head wandering off an neglecting their family is a bit... extreme. They are no more likely to do so than an alcoholic, yet that is legal. Someone a few pages back got it right, you would be suprised at how many people smoke it now. Only reason I think some of us don't is mandatory random drug tests for work...

And of course that check box on a 4473 :D

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Party at my house.
    Walter's house...

images

:D

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I would immediately start losing weight due to the loss of calorie's from good ole beer. People would start noticing me being more mellow than usual. My finger tips would probably have some orange residue on them!

Top Bottom