What if ammo becomes readily available soon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I've bought everything at good prices. If it comes down 20% I'll buy more :) Besides, even everything I've stockpiled wouldn't last me more than one year of hard shooting or 2-3 years of slower shooting.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    How could stockpiling ever 'backfire' on us? If you wait 2-3 years, if wanting to sell, you would get your money back.

Stockpiling is never a bad thing, in good or bad economic times.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I think we'll see it drop in price and the shelves will be stocked. But then everyone who didn't stock pile and paid the high prices during the panic will load up this time around. Then the cycle starts all over again

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Lots of great thoughts here. I should expand a little on my first post. One of the reasons I would feel a little silly under this scenario is based on my buying when I KNOW/KNEW I could find it cheaper.

An example; I purchased 800 rounds from Bob at Plainfield Shooting Supplies during April. I paid $12.99 per box of a particular brand I like, because he always had it in stock. Based on buying bulk and Wally prices, this is overpaying by 3-4 bucks (or .08 per round). Doesn't sound like much by the round, and it's not a bad price by any means (Bob usually has MUCH better prices than any other gun store on ammo), but over the course of those 800 rounds purchased, that's 64 bucks I overpaid for 800 rounds KNOWING I could find it at Wal-Mart cheaper, if I just wanted to take the time.

Having said that, I didn't always take the time; I was happy with having it, regardless of paying a little more. (And Bob rocks)

The wife and I like to shoot every 3 weeks or so. We don't blow through 1,000 rounds per trip (more like 250-350 between us) so that is part of why I've stockpiled. The other part is that finally, after searching for deals and chasing Wally's, I've gotten to the point that I don't always go to the sporting goods section checking for ammo when I go to Wal-Mart to pick up toilet paper. While I still look for deals, it's not a pressing issue.

Lastly, many of you older fellas who've been shooting for awhile have seen shortages come and go. I remember the Clinton drama and "buy it now" theories. IMO, his AWB was a stroke of luck and 2A things are REALLY hard to get pushed through the federal government. From a time standpoint, I can't imagine that they have a chance to do anything on guns within Obama's first term at a minimum. I feel very strongly about this and I can't be convinced that 2A danger is imminent. On a side note, the 'encoding' of ammo makes me **** my pants laughing. This I don't ever see happening. And with all the new gun owners, etc in the country, it's only going to get tougher for politicians to pass legislation that would truly cause an ammo shortage.

If you're not the panic type, and have been through these shortages before, and you're stockpiling ammo; how could you NOT feel a little silly?

I guess that's where I feel a little silly. I am certain this will all end, sooner than later, and have no fears about Obama banning AWB's or encoding bullets in the near-term. So why did I pay a little more for ammo when I'm certain I didn't have to?

The answer; peace of mind in knowing I have it. Even though my peace of mind cost me more than it should have.

(sorry for the long ass post!) :D

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I usually like to have a little extra of everything on hand anyhow, but other then .22 ammo, I didn't really buy any factory ammo since December, other than a couple boxes of carry ammo. I sorta went on a buying spree in Aug-November 2008, and had ammo put back, "just in case". I wasn't paying $100/1k of 5.56, or 7.62, which is when I really should have bought and set back a supply, but I decided that I wasn't going to pay over $.45/rd, and I didn't. My supply really was for SHTF and I don't feel silly about it at all.

I also got back into reloading and put up components for that. If prices on ammo fall, I would set an amount that I would like to keep on hand, and not feel "rationed" in my shooting. You can call it "hoarding", but by rights, one should "buy it cheap, stack it deep". I would suggest that running from Wally world to Wally world does seem a little obssesive. I was a little obssesive in Sept, 2008, checking internet prices everyday...I have a little more free time now, but I would suggest that people use this as lesson, and keep themselves stocked, and avoid the panic latter. Not just in ammo, but other things too.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    If you have the ammo 5 years from now, it will be worth MORE than what you paid for it. That's one of the things I love about this culture, it doesnt' deppreciate.

Amen.

I recently uncovered a 50rd box of Federal 12 ga 00 buck that I had bought probably 10-12 years ago. It had a $9.95 price tag on it! :D

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    I don't think I will feel too bad. I hated buying 7.62x39 1000 rounds for $(way too much) but I have them and I'll have more for the same price less or more. I will be much happier for less but I won't feel stupid for not having it. Gotta keep the Zombies under control somehow when the outbreak happens. For me personally I could do what I could do at the time just wish I could have done a lil bit more a couple years ago. Oh well, no point looking to the past all the time. Just remember past mistakes, learn from them, and buy, buy, buy what you can.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    If the shortage ends, I think I'll gradually buy about 2,000 rounds for my own personal stock. a) I don't want to have to deal with this BS again. It's not worth my time to be constantly searching for ammo so I can get some practice in. b) Ammo prices can only go up. They never come back down, so why not get it now while it's still fairly reasonable (at Walmart at least)?

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I hope this situation eases up soon. I reload the majority of my ammo, but that's impossible when primers and bullets are scarce to non-available.$35 per1K of primers,lead bullets that cost what name brand JHPs used to cost. I bought 1 or 2 boxes of JHP every week or 2 most of winter(winter of my discontent) because I needed it.

Top Bottom