• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Oh yeah, and purchased an extra 16 bags of dog food, 12 bags of cat food, 12 bags of chicken feed, and ordered 1/2 a cow from a farmer we know that should yield us about 700 lbs of beef since corn prices, and anything else related to corn is going to sky rocket in the near future.

Rob52pars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    I got all my food grade buckets with lids, mylar bags, and O2 absorbers ready to go, but after some more research, i decided to go with gamma lids. They should be here in a few days. Also, I had a talk with the wife(who thinks i'm a nut bag but still loves me) and she is going to start buying food for storage. What a weight off my shoulders. No more "secret prepper".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Learned what Oh SHTF in an instant felt like (good lesson to learn in a non SHTF time). Ok so I will explain.......got up this morning, went next sore to work and at about 10 am I lost water everywhere. It can't be I have two different well pumps operating so that if one goes out the second takes over as a back up. To find out that one well has been down for what seems a while, and the pressure switch went bad in the other today leaving me with absolutely NO water anywhere on the property. Once I got over the initial panic I was able to track down the issues so it looks like I will be pulling the old well tomorrow and dropping in a new one. Not exactly what I want to do but I would rather find this out now since those wells are run into my transfer switches for the genny to operate.

If one takes over automatically with no warning or fanfare you will have no idea that you on on the redundant pump. Need a fail light or buzzer of some kind to sound an alert. Should not be too hard for a fella with your skills.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well, I needed real quality knife in case things get bad and stay bad so I bought an Emerson similar to what I had and used overseas, but a little different. It's not that I'm unhappy with my pocket knife now, it's just that if SHTF is an extended timeframe my pocket knife will become everything and that's when the quality will shine through.

Also finally got off my cheap arse and bought my berkey filter. Ended up going with the Royal because of the extra storage over the big berkey. For another $20 it'll be worth it to be able to hold another gallon of water. Although I've got other filtering options, I'm glad to have the berkey on the way especially since my family keeps growing.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Well, I needed real quality knife in case things get bad and stay bad so I bought an Emerson similar to what I had and used overseas, but a little different. It's not that I'm unhappy with my pocket knife now, it's just that if SHTF is an extended timeframe my pocket knife will become everything and that's when the quality will shine through.

Also finally got off my cheap arse and bought my berkey filter. Ended up going with the Royal because of the extra storage over the big berkey. For another $20 it'll be worth it to be able to hold another gallon of water. Although I've got other filtering options, I'm glad to have the berkey on the way especially since my family keeps growing.

I just got a fixed blade as an EDC( a month or so ago). Taking some getting used to, especially when I need to cut something odd. It is an ESEE Izula. Been carrying lock backs for years. Loved many of them. Just thought I would try this. Had to leave the folder home so I would actually use this. So far I am pleased with it. Still like the folder for easy carry though.

Where did you get the filter from? We are wanting to get one, but haven't justified it enough as of yet.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I got the berkey off their website. There probably are better deals out there but I never saw one. Try figuring the cost of a filter system divided by the capacity of the filter and then you'll see better value in the cost per filtered gallon.

For example:

Katadyn base camp with one filter is $65. $65 / 400 (gallons per filter rating) = $0.16 per gallon.

Berkey Royal with two black filters is $300. $300 / 6000 (gallon rating) = $0.05 per gallon.

While some units will certainly cost more up front, the actual value they can provide is far better. Both have a place in my stable and this completes my water filtering plans at the moment.

Last edited:

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I cooked deer steak with mushrooms and gravy and rice to see if I can rough it and live off what the land provides. Also had a salad from the garden. NOT too bad. Also went shooting and loaded some more ammo. Pretty good weekend.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Made a deal with two other families to split some beef and pork. No price yet but
    should be cheaper than this winter...
    Bought the wife a pedal Singer sewing machine. Price was right but I had no idea how much sentimental value it would have for her...'just like grandmother's'.
    And here I thought I was just prepping.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Made a deal with two other families to split some beef and pork. No price yet but
    should be cheaper than this winter...
    Bought the wife a pedal Singer sewing machine. Price was right but I had no idea how much sentimental value it would have for her...'just like grandmother's'.
    And here I thought I was just prepping.

Happy wife....happy life.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Like the post above, we arranged to split a cow three ways (we are splitting with family though)

Also, I tilled in a new garden plot. I haven't decided if I'm going to do winter wheat on it or fall vegetables. Might pull out the still producing cucumbers and plant fall vegetables there instead. We have too many pickles already in addition to an extra bushell of unprocessed cucumbers. I can't eat any more cucumbers!!! Need to decided soon. Fall planting season is nearly over in my part of the state (for many veggies).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Started measuring up an area for more shelf space. We have run out of room for preps. Also looking at more space for fuel storage both propane and gasoline. Rotated through some of the older fuel.
    Fired and ran the gennys under a load and full tanks.

water is a big issue with us after doing a full 7n day prep. only trial run. Water goes out quickly especially in this heat. Cold weather would not strain the supply's as much.
    looking at some form of bulk water storage.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Planted winter wheat last year. Got a bad case of " rust". Rust is making comeback
    after 50 year slump, so look out for it. You'll want to look it up on Google because if it hits you've got
    Short window to treat it. Any grain that's rusty is lost but you can save what's left.
    There will be a grain shortage in Africa this year because of this blight....spring wheat is resistant
    But winter wheat, not so much.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Started carrying and added a G26 to aid with that. It's going a lot better than I thought it would.

fangz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    North Side
    I bought a Glock 26, mags, ammo, holster, paracord, practiced some knots, went to the range, cleaned the glock. Moved some preps around too.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Got food grade 55 gallon plastic barrels and two steel 55 gallon barrels. I am going to make a wood burning stove for my shop with the two steel barrels.

I highly advise that you build that stove and burn the paint off outside,
    or sand-blast in and out and use stove paint. The paint on those drums will burn and run you out of the shop...

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    I'm sort of new to the whole prep thing but Its a spectacular idea, so today i bought some ammo for my AR15 and some magazines.
    Will be picking some survival goodies to put in my field pack in reference to FM 3-05.70. Good reference for survival by the US ARMY.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom