churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What you don't?! :dunno:

Nope, live in the city. It is bright enough at night to see. My compound lights up like Shay stadium with pulse lights. Front, sides and back. They will run even if the SHTF because of the Battery back up inverter system.

If I lived by starlight like you fellows, oh heck yes, IR, the whole deal.

I know you lost all of your guns when the pontoon capsized, just wondered if you had night vision for egress.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Nope, live in the city. It is bright enough at night to see. My compound lights up like Shay stadium with pulse lights. Front, sides and back. They will run even if the SHTF because of the Battery back up inverter system.

If I lived by starlight like you fellows, oh heck yes, IR, the whole deal.

I know you lost all of your guns when the pontoon capsized, just wondered if you had night vision for egress.
    I lost all my stuff in a very tragic float trip... :(

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hey Church, I was thinking of growing my potatoes in big pots instead of in ground so I can utalize more garden space. What do you think, will that work?

The fellow that is helping me get my garden back up is doing that very thing. He has for a few years now and says it is very productive. He had some 55 gallon plastic drums and cut them down to utilize the top and bottom. He put in his mixed dirt (Peat moss and good soil) and covers with the same material I put over my Garden to keep out the weeds after the sprout.
    Yup, it works.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    The fellow that is helping me get my garden back up is doing that very thing. He has for a few years now and says it is very productive. He had some 55 gallon plastic drums and cut them down to utilize the top and bottom. He put in his mixed dirt (Peat moss and good soil) and covers with the same material I put over my Garden to keep out the weeds after the sprout.
    Yup, it works.

Cool! I was thinking of doing the same with my carrots, but just wanted another opinion. Thanks!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Cool! I was thinking of doing the same with my carrots, but just wanted another opinion. Thanks!

I think you need to pay attention to the depth of the container so whatever you plant there is not limited.
    I would use this method but my plot is large enough to get everything into with out crowding.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Hey Church, I was thinking of growing my potatoes in big pots instead of in ground so I can utalize more garden space. What do you think, will that work?
    Another method is to build a box out of 2x6 make it about 3' to a side. fill with dirt, plant your tubors. when the stalk gets to be 12" high add another box on top of that and repeat the process. ;)

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Installed a long range IR flood lamp after testing it in multiple locations on my property. IR flood lamps are notoriously over-rated for effective distance so I wanted to run some tests to prove this one was both rugged enough and had enough effective distance to illuminate what I needed to 'see' with my IR sensitive cameras. I ordered 3 more of these (2 more identical to the one I just installed, and 1 that is rated at even longer range).

If you have an IR camera system and want to make it more useful, adding IR illuminators/floods is the best way to do that, but NEVER believe the claimed distances of the manufacturer . . . the effective range is typically only about 50% of the claimed distances.

My guess is that when I'm done my property will "glow" with any IR sensitive viewer, but most importantly I'll be able to "see" out to the tree lines, fence lines, etc. in total darkness.

Have you tried using your cell phone camera to look across your property with your IR lights on?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom