• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Added some Quick Clot to first aid kits. Bought some books on food storage, trauma care, and herbal remedies. Picked up some Arctic "no freeze" canteens. The wife is putting up sweetcorn. (64 quarts so far)

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    One of the few here old enough to remember Palm Sunday 1965..... and for me Good Friday 1966. On Good Friday 1966 my grandparents on my mom's side lost their house in a storm. My Dad's parents lost their barn roof.
    We lost barn doors and had damage to our buildings. School let out early on Good Friday. My brother and I were walking home since we could walk the 2.5 miles a lot faster than the over 1 hour bus ride. We were 14 and 15 years old and were excited that Dad was going to quit working in the fields early and take us fishing that evening. We could see a dark cloud approaching from the west. We were past my Dad's parents farm about 1.4 mile from home when the storm hit. Dad was about 1/2 mile south on the tractor and could see us walking down the road. He was out of the path of the storm. MY brother and I managed to get under a bridge and in the ditch that crossed the road between my grandparents and our home. When the storm passed Dad was panicked because we were no where to be seen. When he got to the road we were just coming out from under the bridge. Needless to say, we were cleaning up damage instead of going fishing that evening.

Now on to this past weekend. After Palm Sunday we came to Indiana to help clean up damage. I saw the ham operators in action doing emergency communications. Again in 1966 I saw it in Ohio. At that time phone lines were above ground and with lines down were useless. I got my first ham license in 1967 but didn't have any radios (or money to buy them). I was out of ham radio agan until the late 1970's. In the late 1970's I got back into ham radio and started taking part in many emergency communications training events and some real events. Have been part of Skywarn since that time.

This past week I got a new Icom IC-7000 radio and was working on setting my home station up again. I haven't had a home station since we moved to the farm where my wife grew up 3 years ago. The new radio and the CQ World Wide VHF contest pushed me into getting the job done. With all the problems I ran into, storms, power supply that failed, radio that got held up several day in delivery by Fedex, I didn't make my first contact with it till I checked into our local county RACES test at 8am saturday. First contact on tne new rig was part of a biannual statewide emergency communications test. Then finished debugging and figuring out how to use the new rig before the contest started at 1800z. The band conditions and small station and antennas didn't allow me to even attempt a contest winning effort, but if scores compare to last year I will be in the top 40%. for the W9 region. (IL, WI and IN) About 4:30pm local time we had storms come into the area and had a skywarn callup. I quit the contest a half hour before the end because of that. The storms dissipated before they reached us so no damage here. Over all it was a good emergency communications test for me. Had some problems but still managed to carry out the communications.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Thread revival!

Picked up a generator and built a box for it. Food and water preps continue, but much farther along than I was 6 months ago. Looking into an LP conversion for the genny...

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Bought our extra Chunky Soup for the week. Bought extra batteries for he flashlights. Getting the snow plow on the tractor this weekend.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I keep four cases of MRE's on hand. For a family of five that gives us 48 meals for a a three day supply of food that we don't have to do anything more than open a package to prepare. I periodically buy a case and then rotate the oldest one out of my storage and eat them up or give them away. I just rotated one out and I'm letting the kids pick through the meals to take with them when we go hunting.

Other than that we potted up the herbs from the herb garden and brought them inside and harvested a few late vegetables and saved their seeds.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Hey we got some responses already!

Forgot to mention the couple crank flashlights I picked up. They work great and are brighter than expected.

I know some people don't want to talk at all about their preps. I get it. I do think it's nice to have a place for people to share at least a part of their preps to give people ideas they maybe hadn't thought about.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Went "rummaging" and picked up a breadmaker for $5, a hand bicycle air pump for $5, and a Samsonite suitcase with wheels for $2. Not a bad haul!

No school today, so I will reorganize my "go bags" and check and repair (if needed) my bicycles (the small "childs size" will go in the bed of my truck - "just in case" - beats walking all the way home.)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I know some people don't want to talk at all about their preps. I get it. I do think it's nice to have a place for people to share at least a part of their preps to give people ideas they maybe hadn't thought about.

Some of it is opsec for me, but it's mostly because being prepared is part of being a survivalist for me, so it's just part of the lifestyle we lead. I look at the rotation of or addition to our stock as being the minutia of our daily life.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    It's been a good week for me prep wise. The highlight for me is my package from shopmedvet as recommended by PatriotNurse (there is a thread about her someplace here). Mostly bandages/gauze but also some sutures, which I've got some instruction for lined up, and 2 disposable skin staplers among other things. I almost want to get hurt just to try it out.

I plan on getting some more things locally this weekend, and then I'll break everything down into 2 kits. I've got 2 small first aid kits in my car already, 1 that came with the car back in 94 (I updated it when I bought the car a couple years ago) and another one that I just bough as a complete kit and added to. What I'll end up with is a med kit (as opposed to a first aid kit) for my car and a locker based system for home. I'm not sure how I want to do that yet. I'll probably organize into bags that can be shelved in the locker based on type of injury so that it's still mobile, as it is, one bag would just be way to big and I still don't have everything I need.

EDIT: I also made bread for the first time this week. All things considered (Like I dont' bake, and I didn't have all the needed ingredients or a bread pan) it turned out really well. I imagine if I liked the crust on bread it would have be awsome. Not counting the crust it tasted just fine. Near the crust was a little too dry for my tastes, but the center was good.
    A small feat to many, but I was pretty happy with myself with I cut it open and it wasn't a chared block of nastiness like I expected. I'll pick up the rest of the ingredients and keep a supply on hand. I typically buy bread and freeze it, but it never fails that I end up with either freezer burned or moldy bread as I dont eat enough of it. If I can just make a loaf at a time I should be good. Less waste and less cost.

Last edited:

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Some of it is opsec for me, but it's mostly because being prepared is part of being a survivalist for me, so it's just part of the lifestyle we lead. I look at the rotation of or addition to our stock as being the minutia of our daily life.

Well said and I totally agree. Once you get started, it's as easy as changing your socks. The usefulness of the thread is to those who are making the mentality shift and getting their bases covered. Those who've been at this for awhile can use something like this to remind themselves to keep looking for new ideas and perspectives. :twocents:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Well said and I totally agree. Once you get started, it's as easy as changing your socks. The usefulness of the thread is to those who are making the mentality shift and getting their bases covered. Those who've been at this for awhile can use something like this to remind themselves to keep looking for new ideas and perspectives. :twocents:

I agree there's a lot of value in the thread! Each time I see it crop up I try to think of something to post to help encourage other folks, but the stuff I've done seems so mundane :D

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Hey we got some responses already!

Forgot to mention the couple crank flashlights I picked up. They work great and are brighter than expected.

I like the hand crank flashlights because when the power is out after a storm all of the kids want flashlights. If I give them a battery powered flashlight they just turn it on and leave it on until the battery runs out. I give them the hand crank ones instead.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not enough!

I hung some additional cabinets in the garage, and have a few more to go. Lots of storage, now!

The freezer is getting restocked with beef and pork any time. I'm splitting a bull and pig with some family (a friend of my mother raises them).

I'm finally ordering some rucksacks and setting up car bags for the winter. My wife's is a 12-hour "sit-tight" bag, since she rarely gets very far by herself. I'll have one in my truck as a family "bug out" bag with stuff for all of us, and then a smaller "get home" bag I keep with me.

My wife has been asking for projects to work on while she is home with our baby. So far, other than general organizing, she has been inventorying our foodstuffs. We have a nice little software package for recipes that also does pantry inventory, meal planning, and can generate shopping lists. You tell it how much stock to keep on hand, it it will print a list of what to buy based on how much you have consumed and what meals you have planned (compares meal ingredients to your stocks). Pretty cool, if you can keep it updated.

Bob Wyre

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Put up 150 lbs. of wheat, 100 lbs. of sugar, 37 lbs. of rice in Mylar bags with 02 absorbers into food grade buckets. Repacked the BOBs with fresh water, food, batteries and matches.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    We did some canning this week. Greenbeans, greenbeans and potatos mixed and flavored. We found a really good deal (IMO) on some tomato's since it's end of season, 80lbs for $20. We've been hard at it with salsa, diced tomato's, tomato juice, and spaghetti sauce. Our neighbors decided to jump into canning as well so we've been bouncing ideas off of each other for a few days about recipies and what not.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    refreshed the med stockpile....
    ordered some ammo-sorry ups
    rebuilt the battery inventory
    rotated the gas and diesel
    charged the deep cell batteries
    Looked at the wood to cut and split
    forgot the propane
    found a case of TP that was in the wrong place.
    picked up 10 sacks of horse feed

Took the wife to lunch-its rare and she is having a good day!

Talked shop with a preper. He goes to my church and is on a major grind to get ready for winter.

Contractor is coming in a week or two spray foam the crap out of my crawlspace, attic and subfloor. Money saved will keep me from paying too much to the electric company this winter.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Prep near disaster Sunday.

We where doing some rotations on our food this weekend and the room we use is normal closed with none of our animals allowed in.Well the door was left open and Mosin(https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/33376-puppies_from_straittactical.html) and Princess took advantage of our poor security.This was an epic fail on my part as there where poison bait blocks for mice spread throughout the room.I picked them up and counted.We came up one short.So after a call to poison control it was clear we where in for a mess.
    One turkey baster and a few table spoons of peroxide later there where nice piles of puke,but no bait.Having thought back they may have actually gotten in a day prior(it was a 2 day job).So today was spent at the Vets office getting vitamin k-1 shots.Vitamin k is the counter agent for the mouse poison in question.The poison works by destroying the bodies ability to form blood clots by depleting all vitamin K.It normally takes days to work on a mouse,and up to 7 days for an animal as large as a dog to show symptoms. The poison is long lasting,and our dogs will be on vitamin k supplements provided by the vet for the next 30 days.

The good news.Neither puppy should have any ill effects,though we are unsure which one actually ate the missing block.
    What did I learn?
    A 50 cent bait block will cost you roughly 200 dollars if your dog finds it.I also learned to a dog these baits are like candy,and once they get the scent they will do almost anything to get at them.In short,we are no longer using this type of bait.There are dog friendly baits,and we will be using those from this point forward.

Hope everyone remembers there 4 legged friends when making preps this week.Ours are getting anything they want for awhile,and i feel a great deal of guilt at a very stupid mistake.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom