• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Got our half a cow a few weeks back. Picked up 3 12# turkeys at Meijer yesterday at .31 cents per lb. Was going to grab a couple more pork butts at .99 cents per lb, but none to be had. 2 deep freezers are full anyway as is the freezer upstairs

Ran the genny and switched fuel out.

Ordered some armor for the wife and kid as well.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I bought some pork from Meijer to throw in the freezer and came home to another 8 pound chunk my grandma bought us to put back. I'm in a smaller apartment so I can't have a chest freezer so that sucks. I do have a mini freezer in my parents garage I can put some meat in. Also started ordering stuff to build a repeater.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since last post. I made a trip over to Thunder Valley Precision in Ohio to see what I could do on their 1 mile range. I found limits in my equipment and myself. For example, my backup range finder is good to 1,000 yards but nothing beyond. My primary ranger finder worked all the way out to 1740 yards. My 6.5 fell apart after 1,000 yards because of the limits of factory ammo. I'd never noticed it before at 1,000 yards but just getting beyond that point it showed up in a major way. The 338Lapua with handloads found no limit. The handloads worked great, but I was super frugal on how many rounds we fired, because what I've got for ammo is literally all I've got now since my particular bullet of choice is no longer in stock. I had a great talk with the RSO on duty at the mile range and we geeked out on reloading for a bit. He routinely shoots clay pigeons at the 1,000 yard line so when I get a chance to hear a guy like that talk about his reloading techniques I listen.

Saturday morning I let the air out of a four legged bag of meat. I wouldn't call it hunting, and it more closely resembled do-it-yourself meat gathering. The weekend before I had bee shooting to a mile, so when he was 250 yards out and the 6.5 creedmoor did it's job. The freezer was already full, but this average sized young buck will go a long ways to making sure it stays that way.

I may be investing in a smoker to learn to really make some fantastic meals and it's something I could see being able to fuel without store bought consumables if need be.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Saturday morning I let the air out of a four legged bag of meat. I wouldn't call it hunting, and it more closely resembled do-it-yourself meat gathering. The weekend before I had bee shooting to a mile, so when he was 250 yards out and the 6.5 creedmoor did it's job. The freezer was already full, but this average sized young buck will go a long ways to making sure it stays that way.

I may be investing in a smoker to learn to really make some fantastic meals and it's something I could see being able to fuel without store bought consumables if need be.

Watch online for used smokers. And be ready for Black Friday specials.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Heard rumors that turkey is SUPER cheap this year. So many family get-togethers cancelled, and grocers are over stocked. My wife is going to check a few places, and if so, refill that part of the freezer.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Heard rumors that turkey is SUPER cheap this year. So many family get-togethers cancelled, and grocers are over stocked. My wife is going to check a few places, and if so, refill that part of the freezer.

Tons of people are buying the smaller turkeys because of the smaller gatherings. All these farms cranking out large birds for the year have suppliers scrambling.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Turkey is usually always cheap before Thanksgiving. The true indicator will be Christmas where prices are always higher.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Local grocery chain up here is donating 5xs as many turkeys to the food bank. Looks like that write off will help everyone out.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I've been rotating out ground beef. Also bought a cheap turkey. Work is giving us a frozen turkey this Friday that's going to get thrown in the freezer for a bit while I judge the current events.

SpecWar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Rotating out some can goods, replenishing where and when I can. Stocking up on reloading items, found some P227 10rnd mags at a good price snagged them up!!! Dehydrating some veggies and packing away in vacuum sealed bags and cans. Going to hit up Sam’s Club for some T.P., bleach, nose wipes, and other things..

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

Meijer w/ mperks coupon ($0.31/lb): 13+ lb "small" turkey=$5.42...wow

*edit: Then there was a 10% off on top of that on merchandise with a digital coupon.

Last edited:
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    Purchased a Swampfox sentinel for my Hellcat. Ordered a new set of AR500 carrier and plates with some mag carriers before 2021. Got a new t-shirt that says dumb and dumber, has Biden and Harris picture on it. Ordered a ten pack of g-19 mags..

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I had canceled my subscribe and save to Amazon TP, but I started it back up again a couple of weeks ago. We have plenty, but the subscribe and save makes it much more likely that it will keep coming no matter what. They fulfill the subscriptions before they sell on the website.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I picked up a couple extra cans of baby formula and baby food. I try to spread that out so I don't leave anyone without food for their spawn. My boys so fat I could probably give him a t bone if the baby food shelves ran dry lol. Got a slim jim antenna coming so Im going to make a portable pvc mast and work on a few other ways of deploying it.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    After buying some more ammo cans at the last show for a great price, I organized, and the desiccants arrived. Glad I could get all the cardboard cases bought pre covid/election in their new resting place.

Top Bottom